Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2021, 09:36 PM

389 posts, read 403,985 times

Advertisements

So my questions are about the American League specifically. First, I want to say what a season it has been. I am from the North East region of America. I live near Connecticut, which is the border of Yankees and Red Sox territory.

Regardless of who your team is, it’s been a September that anyone who likes the sport could have drawn up. The Yankees consistent slugging is something that their fans wanted since the season started. Watching them against the Red Sox last weekend was amazing. They put on a show in such a timely manner. Talk about saving the best till last.

But wait, it gets even better. It gets better because the AL East has teams that have playoff aspirations, and they are all playing each other at the very end.

I have some questions because I don’t have a crystal ball to predict the future. However, the complexity of the equations are one I cannot figure out, yet want answers for.

1. Right now the Yankees hold the top wild card spot, but what does this mean in terms of playing after the regular season?
2. What would happen if you have two or more teams in the wild card? Who gets home field advantage?
3. If the Yankees win every game from now on, how would that affect them and other teams?
4. If Baltimore looses every game from now on, how would that affect this?
5. What determines home field advantage in this equation, and in the postseason generally speaking?

These are all things I want to know.

Last edited by globetrekker96; 09-28-2021 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 11:19 PM

9,796 posts, read 7,523,948 times
1) If they currently hold the top Wildcard spot at the conclusion of play on October 3 (the last day of the regular season) they play the Wildcard game at home. If they are in the second Wildcard spot after October 3, they play the Wildcard game on the road at the team in the #1 spot. If they are 3rd or lower after play on October 3, they miss the playoffs completely. For any ties, I'll answer that next.

2) Ties. The fun part. If there's only a 2 team tie, and no other teams are tied with those 2 teams, no tiebreaker game neccessary and those 2 teams would play at the site of whichever team won the season series: The Yankees would play at both the Blue Jays & Red Sox, Toronto would play @ Boston, Toronto would play @ Seattle, Seattle would play @ New York, and I don't remember who won the season series between Boston and Seattle. If there's a 3 way tie then teams get an "A" "B" and "C" marking, once again based on who had the best head to head record: Team A hosts team B, the winner gets the first Wildcard and the loser plays @ team C for the second Wildcard. The team with the best head to head record picks first designation (they'll pick choice A more then likely), the next best record chooses second and than the last place team gets whatever's left.
Now the fun part.....if there's a 3 way tie for the second Wildcard......A/B/C designation still gets used except the loser of the A/B game is eliminated, and the winner of that plays at C, and the winner of that is the second Wildcard. If there's a 4 way tie it's just the same except you add a team D designation but I think it's just A plays @ B, and C plays @ D, and the 2 winners are the 2 Wildcard. I forgot what the 4 team tie for second in the Wildcard is, but it's some combination of the above A/B/C/D designations except you have to add an extra round for the 2 winners to play each other to see who gets the second Wildcard, which will really mess up the schedule. A 2 team tie for the second wildcard is the same as a regular tie: the games is played at whoever won the season series, and the winner of that is the second Wildcard. I think I covered everything on ties.

3) If the Yankees win every game, it won't effect their placement at all. They have been eliminated from the divisional race, so they can't win the division. The only thing it will effect is Toronto's placement in the Wildcard chase, and maybe Tampa's placement in the AL home Field race as if Tampa loses the next 2 games, loses all 3 in New York, and Houston wins all 3 this weekend against Oakland the Rays would fall out of the AL #1 spot and that would go to Houston. Likewise, for Toronto if they get swept by the Yankees, and Seattle finishes out the win tonight and wins tomorrow, the Mariners would pass the Jays in the standings.

4) The only thing Baltimore is playing for is the #1 pick, so if they lose every game here on out they get the first selection in the MLB Draft next year. That is it.

5) See my playoff thread for home field. Best overall record gets home field. Right now Tampa needs only 1 more win to lock up home field throughout the AL, and the NL West winner will have home field throughout the NL, while the Giants need just 1 more win to lock up home field throughout the entirety of the playoffs.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:40 AM

7,053 posts, read 3,826,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post

1. Right now the Yankees hold the top wild card spot, but what does this mean in terms of playing after the regular season?
2. What would happen if you have two or more teams in the wild card? Who gets home field advantage?
3. If the Yankees win every game from now on, how would that affect them and other teams?
4. If Baltimore looses every game from now on, how would that affect this?
5. What determines home field advantage in this equation, and in the postseason generally speaking?

These are all things I want to know.
1 - It means they play the Wildcard game at home which doesn't mean much because any one team can win any given game. A pitcher dealing or one swing of the bat could be the difference.
2 - Only two teams, better record has home field
3 - see 1
4 - if would affect their opponents Boston and Toronto favorably
5 - See 2

If the Red Sox finished in 3rd place 9 games out and won the wildcard game they would essentially wipe out 9 games with one win and be tied for first and play a 5 game series against the Rays in which they would have home field advantage for all 5 from a crowd standpoint. Same for the Yankees. Lots of Boston and NY transplants in FL.
If it were the Jays or Mariners then Tampa would have the home field advantage in the 5 game set.

IMO home field in baseball is less prominent than in the NFL or NBA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball