Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 04:52 PM

25,690 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

Ask me this question again at 11pm tonight when the Dodgers game ends.

If my Braves, who spend ~1/2 on payroll as the Dodgers eliminate the Blue tonight, then the Blue are amongst the chokers and mismanaged.

Even if the Blue eliminate my Braves, the Braves would not be considered disappointments by any means.

Both teams have had lots of huge injuries to deals with, so kudos for both of them making it this far.

I lose sleep over the Brave bullpen...no lead is safe, so if you are a Dodgers fan, do not turn off the tv until the final out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2021, 05:28 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
Beach here is a concept I seem not to understand. Its about who spends more.

The Dodgers are perhaps the biggest spenders- ok I get that.

They also lead baseball in attendance and my guess all other revenues. Let's say I am a reasonably wealthy attorney I may work hard and take in more money than the guy managing Burger King. I should have a nice house -office -car and not live in a tiny or rundown apartment. My clients would wonder if I had an old-sputtering car. I make more and I spend more.

Dodger fans spend more. They pay high prices to get to a game - Dodger Dogs etc I think their fans would be especially upset if LA did not spend to bring them the best product.

This does not take into account that the Dodgers have always had one of the best farm systems and player development.

This year they probably left it all on the table v St Louis which was the hottest team in baseball and the Giants which were the best team. The Braves are a decent, a good team but for LA the most important and most difficult step was getting by the Giants. They might however get some blame for ruining their pitching for the entire rest of the year. Max pitching 4 times in 10 days and now saying his arm is finished? All these bullpen starters.

Congrats to your Braves - I think honesty dictates that if they were in the NL West they would have finished 3rd - possibly 4th.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Beach here is a concept I seem not to understand. Its about who spends more.

The Dodgers are perhaps the biggest spenders- ok I get that.

They also lead baseball in attendance and my guess all other revenues. Let's say I am a reasonably wealthy attorney I may work hard and take in more money than the guy managing Burger King. I should have a nice house -office -car and not live in a tiny or rundown apartment. My clients would wonder if I had an old-sputtering car. I make more and I spend more.

Dodger fans spend more. They pay high prices to get to a game - Dodger Dogs etc I think their fans would be especially upset if LA did not spend to bring them the best product.

This does not take into account that the Dodgers have always had one of the best farm systems and player development.

This year they probably left it all on the table v St Louis which was the hottest team in baseball and the Giants which were the best team. The Braves are a decent, a good team but for LA the most important and most difficult step was getting by the Giants. They might however get some blame for ruining their pitching for the entire rest of the year. Max pitching 4 times in 10 days and now saying his arm is finished? All these bullpen starters.

Congrats to your Braves - I think honesty dictates that if they were in the NL West they would have finished 3rd - possibly 4th.
The Rays DOMINATE the Dodgers in minor league results, and have 1/5th the payroll, so the Dodgers org is hapless in maximizing return on investment.

There's no glory in pounding your chest as a top 3 major market in the MLB who gets to spend 5x those at the bottom to win. No matter how you spin it, its totally unfair.

Even if you adjust for cost of living, the Dodgers are spending much more than most other teams.

But, if it makes you feel good to pound your chest, then go for it. The Yanks annd Mets were doing the same until just recently. Now they both realize they blew millions of dollars.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:54 PM

Pure ignorance. Google best farm systems - I did out of curiosity - Everyone had the Dodgers slightly better than Atlanta .. oh wait you're a Rays Fan now.

Spending money is only unfair to the lower class people looking up. I started with nothing got a great education at Cal-Berkeley and yes have lots of money. Maybe so life won't be so unfair to you I should burn it or hide it in mattress. Maybe its "unfair" that I bettered myself - maybe you had the opportunity and did not. I don't want to live in your apt no matter how unfair you feel.

The Dodgers needed a stadium and Robert Moses was not going to give them one in Brooklyn. No one wanted to be the Queens Dodgers. They found a super-opportunity in Los Angeles which welcomed them and gave them 361 acres -free - You would whine and say "unfair" The rest of the world would say "brilliant'.

As to big market - the Dodgers share a big one with the Angels and there's another great team just a bit down the road. The Braves moved all over the place Boston- Milw - Atlanta so they were trying for the same thing.

I love Dodger Stadium and as Dodger Fan I want them to spend some of that money they earn. You don't get a say in how others spend their funds. What is most important is that they EARN money which they do-- its called INVESTMENT another term foreign to those on the bottom rung of society. Every year in recent history - last 5 or 6 they have put a good team on the field. That's what our fans want- what you want is totally irrelevant.

Last edited by WestGuest; 10-21-2021 at 08:15 PM..

Old 10-22-2021, 05:54 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
^^^ Good post. I see what fans of other teams say when they mention the Dodger spending but it is what it is and LA shouldn’t not use their fair advantage just because. That’s like being mad at Steph Curry’s range and being irate that he’s not shooting exactly at the three point line with a standard release.

Old 10-23-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
^^^ Good post. I see what fans of other teams say when they mention the Dodger spending but it is what it is and LA shouldn’t not use their fair advantage just because. That’s like being mad at Steph Curry’s range and being irate that he’s not shooting exactly at the three point line with a standard release.
I agree, and dont blame the Dodgers, I blame MLB for allowing big market teams from spending FIVE times as mush as small market teams.

I do however find it comical when big market teams' fans ignore payroll disparity like its no big deal, & pound their chests when they win.

Talk about a stacked deck...MLB's leadership is awful.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:08 AM

928 posts, read 498,830 times
Historically, including last year, it's been my Braves. I'm hoping we don't choke again with homefield advantage. Gotta close this out tonight!

Old 10-23-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
Historically, including last year, it's been my Braves. I'm hoping we don't choke again with homefield advantage. Gotta close this out tonight!
Sports fans in the state of Georgia have endured a lot. I no longer get my hopes up too high...I expect our teams to find ways to lose. Or, to become victims of horrific luck (Auburn tip play), or horrific officiating (infield fly rule called on a ball hit to the outfield)...I've seen it all.

The Braves Bullpen is a house of cards. I wouldn't let Luke Jackson into the stadium for the rest of the season, if I owned the Braves. There's not 1 Braves reliever I trust, like I used to trust Craig Kimbrel, when he was a Brave.

Even with the Dodgers starter getting scratched, I'm not optimistic.

Old 10-23-2021, 03:05 PM

I dont see how the Dodgers can win. All their best pitchers are gone Bauer- Kershaw- Max- who's left ?

Turner - Muncy gone.

Old 10-24-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Sports fans in the state of Georgia have endured a lot. I no longer get my hopes up too high...I expect our teams to find ways to lose. Or, to become victims of horrific luck (Auburn tip play), or horrific officiating (infield fly rule called on a ball hit to the outfield)...I've seen it all.

The Braves Bullpen is a house of cards. I wouldn't let Luke Jackson into the stadium for the rest of the season, if I owned the Braves. There's not 1 Braves reliever I trust, like I used to trust Craig Kimbrel, when he was a Brave.

Even with the Dodgers starter getting scratched, I'm not optimistic.
Luke Jacksion almost blew the game for the Braves last night. How many times is Snitker gonna trot him out there to fail? When the tv camera shows him warming up in the bullpen, I turn the tv off. I can't watch it anymore.

I'll bet Jackson loses the Braves 2 games in the World Series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball