Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2021, 05:09 PM

4,811 posts, read 3,336,948 times

Advertisements

Well it's been a long time coming, but finally.

Amid mounting pressure from players and advocacy groups, Major League Baseball said on Sunday it will require teams to provide housing for minor league players starting in 2022.
While MLB has yet to outline its plan formally, six team officials told ESPN they are starting to prepare to help house players across each of their four minor league affiliates.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...22-sources-say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 07:28 PM

3,815 posts, read 4,731,667 times
I have a feeling we might see more teams downside the # of teams they have. Even before this I feel like teams are just realizing they do not need that many teams & it's been more of a tradition type deal with having teams in small towns than actually getting a benefit from it. Now you're going to see small market teams having to house players they just know will never get past AA. This could also cause teams to cut lose players a lot sooner.

I am glad they are doing this but usually there is always a reaction from stuff like this that doesn't always work out for some people.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I have a feeling we might see more teams downside the # of teams they have. Even before this I feel like teams are just realizing they do not need that many teams & it's been more of a tradition type deal with having teams in small towns than actually getting a benefit from it. Now you're going to see small market teams having to house players they just know will never get past AA. This could also cause teams to cut lose players a lot sooner.

I am glad they are doing this but usually there is always a reaction from stuff like this that doesn't always work out for some people.
This new policy will only apply to 4 levels of MILB. The guys going into short season Rookie Ball will have to fend for themselves using part of their signing bonuses.
But yes the long range plan is to drop levels of MILB ball. Since most drafted players are now coming out of college and move through the system much quicker there will no longer be a need for long-term development.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
This new policy will only apply to 4 levels of MILB. The guys going into short season Rookie Ball will have to fend for themselves using part of their signing bonuses.
But yes the long range plan is to drop levels of MILB ball. Since most drafted players are now coming out of college and move through the system much quicker there will no longer be a need for long-term development.
Thanks I was wondering if it effected rookie ball.

In your opinion where could you see future changes? Just having AAA, AA, High A? Dropping Low A?

Seems like there probably isn't a huge gap between Lo an Hi A.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks I was wondering if it effected rookie ball.

In your opinion where could you see future changes? Just having AAA, AA, High A? Dropping Low A?

Seems like there probably isn't a huge gap between Lo an Hi A.
From what I hear from the guys over at the league offices; they eventually want to get it down to AA and AAA only, as well as independent unaffiliated teams that would include players under contract with various MLB orgs.
MLB also wants to work a deal with the NCAA were they would issue full ride scholarships for a limited amount of Div 1 student athletes. Monies for that would be diverted from what currently goes to the current 5 levels of MILB.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:34 PM

9,574 posts, read 7,419,862 times
Quote:
I know with the previous short season and rookie teams (before last year's contraction), such as those in the NYPenn League, Appalachian League, Pioneer League, and Northwest League, those players tended to stay with families or retired couples in the area, that would house 2 or 3 players at a time, many doing it year after year for decades and the families seemed to genuinely enjoy doing it!

Old 10-20-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
From what I hear from the guys over at the league offices; they eventually want to get it down to AA and AAA only, as well as independent unaffiliated teams that would include players under contract with various MLB orgs.
MLB also wants to work a deal with the NCAA were they would issue full ride scholarships for a limited amount of Div 1 student athletes. Monies for that would be diverted from what currently goes to the current 5 levels of MILB.
Wow..just 60 minor league teams. Honestly I'm not to surprised though. The way they evaluate players these days it seems like teams can pick out a few on each team that actually have a legit chance of moving up & the others are just fillers.

Wonder if we'd ever see 2 teams combine minor league players. Like you have your AAA & AA like you said but there is still a need of A ball for newly drafted college players but not a 30 team need. Similar to the Arizona fall league where players from different organizations play for 1 team.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Wow..just 60 minor league teams. Honestly I'm not to surprised though. The way they evaluate players these days it seems like teams can pick out a few on each team that actually have a legit chance of moving up & the others are just fillers.

Wonder if we'd ever see 2 teams combine minor league players. Like you have your AAA & AA like you said but there is still a need of A ball for newly drafted college players but not a 30 team need. Similar to the Arizona fall league where players from different organizations play for 1 team.
That is what I was referring to when I mentioned none affiliated MIL teams.
All this could be years off, or could not happen at all, but it is a long range plan.

The scholarship issue has been on the table for several years now. They have been considering 1 full scholarship for each Div 1 college to start. There are about 300 Div 1 Baseball programs at this time. MLB feels they are losing out on some prospects because they gravitate to Football or Basketball for the full ride athletic scholarships. There are none in Baseball. Through the years I have known several 2 and 3 sport HS athletes that decided against Baseball due to lack of scholarship money. Of course those players would be under no obligation to play Baseball upon graduation. The League would provide those scholarships.

Colleges can develop young players as good and often better then MILB at the lower levels. Most D1 coaches have professional experience, and D1 colleges have state of the art training facilities.

Currently less then 10 percent of all MILB players will ever make it to the majors. MLB finally coming to grips they need to cut back on heads and improve how they compensate those they keep.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
That is what I was referring to when I mentioned none affiliated MIL teams.
All this could be years off, or could not happen at all, but it is a long range plan.

The scholarship issue has been on the table for several years now. They have been considering 1 full scholarship for each Div 1 college to start. There are about 300 Div 1 Baseball programs at this time. MLB feels they are losing out on some prospects because they gravitate to Football or Basketball for the full ride athletic scholarships. There are none in Baseball. Through the years I have known several 2 and 3 sport HS athletes that decided against Baseball due to lack of scholarship money. Of course those players would be under no obligation to play Baseball upon graduation. The League would provide those scholarships.

Colleges can develop young players as good and often better then MILB at the lower levels. Most D1 coaches have professional experience, and D1 colleges have state of the art training facilities.

Currently less then 10 percent of all MILB players will ever make it to the majors. MLB finally coming to grips they need to cut back on heads and improve how they compensate those they keep.
I agree. First person that comes to mind is the late great Tony Gwynn at San Diego State. I can only imagine how great a teacher at hitting he was to his players.

I think I remember hearing about cutting out the many rounds. Might have been Scott Boras that had that idea. Because a super small % of players drafted after the 10? round just never turn out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball