Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-23-2021, 08:50 PM
 
1,342 posts, read 2,008,873 times
Reputation: 2545

Advertisements

So I watching this Game 6, LA/Atlanta….Atlanta was up 4-1. Atlanta’s starting pitcher was Ian Anderson . He pitched 4 innings, 66 pitches and was removed. He only gave up one run thoug. Then he was replaced A.J. Minter…he pitches 2 innings, had 4 strikeouts, no runs give;up…only to be replaced by this Luke Jackson, who is basically collapsing.

Why do these managers seem like they play to lose ? And I’m. It a fan of either team, so I have nothing to win or lose in this game…I’m just curious why these managers continue to play like they are trying to lose ? Why is this accepted in baseball ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2021, 09:28 PM
 
9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times
Reputation: 14004
It could be a variety of reasons, they (managers) are "overthinking" it, it's about match ups or in other words analytics, telling them X pitcher might be better against Y batter, the pitcher could have tweaked something, and while they can still pitch, they might not be as effective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2021, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Free State of Florida
25,828 posts, read 12,868,345 times
Reputation: 19369
I posted in one of these C-D baseball forums yesterday before the game that if I owned the Braves, I wouldn't even let Luke Jackson into the stadium last night...he's been that bad.

AND, Snitker leaves him in the game so long after he's already blown it, I want to break stuff.

The whole World can see Luke Jackson is awful, except Snitker.

How many games in the World Series will he cost us, is my only remaining question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2021, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
9,773 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Reputation: 4126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
So I watching this Game 6, LA/Atlanta….Atlanta was up 4-1. Atlanta’s starting pitcher was Ian Anderson . He pitched 4 innings, 66 pitches and was removed. He only gave up one run thoug. Then he was replaced A.J. Minter…he pitches 2 innings, had 4 strikeouts, no runs give;up…only to be replaced by this Luke Jackson, who is basically collapsing.

Why do these managers seem like they play to lose ? And I’m. It a fan of either team, so I have nothing to win or lose in this game…I’m just curious why these managers continue to play like they are trying to lose ? Why is this accepted in baseball ?
The reason Anderson got replaced last night was because the number 8 hitter reached base with 2 outs, so Snidtker decided to pinch hit for him to try to get a run, which actually ended up working perfectly. Normally I wouldn't want to do that, but he had already given up the tying run in the 4th and was getting ready to face the Dodgers for a 3rd time. Snidtker got lucky as the pinch hitter had a double and then Rosario followed with the game-deciding home run, but if d"arnaud makes an out, Anderson probably goes back out to at least start the 5th, and really who knows what would have happened??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2021, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Sale Creek, TN
4,884 posts, read 5,019,788 times
Reputation: 6060
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I posted in one of these C-D baseball forums yesterday before the game that if I owned the Braves, I wouldn't even let Luke Jackson into the stadium last night...he's been that bad.

AND, Snitker leaves him in the game so long after he's already blown it, I want to break stuff.

The whole World can see Luke Jackson is awful, except Snitker.

How many games in the World Series will he cost us, is my only remaining question.
Not just this season. He reminds me of, I think Gene Garber of the '80's Braves, run him out there with a lead and "poof" it disappears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2021, 07:22 AM
 
15,470 posts, read 7,522,309 times
Reputation: 19400
Some managers manage with analytics only, and refuse to believe their eyes. This was mentioned a couple of times in the Astros - Red Sox series, where Dusty Baker went with what he saw rather than with what the analytics said. A J Hinch was really good with that too, and it's one reason the Astros have done so well the last 5 years.

Go Astros!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2021, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Free State of Florida
25,828 posts, read 12,868,345 times
Reputation: 19369
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Some managers manage with analytics only, and refuse to believe their eyes. This was mentioned a couple of times in the Astros - Red Sox series, where Dusty Baker went with what he saw rather than with what the analytics said. A J Hinch was really good with that too, and it's one reason the Astros have done so well the last 5 years.

Go Astros!
Actually, Snitker prefers to manage by his gut, but the Braves honcho'd insist he use metrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2021, 07:10 AM
 
15,470 posts, read 7,522,309 times
Reputation: 19400
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Actually, Snitker prefers to manage by his gut, but the Braves honcho'd insist he use metrics.
Ouch. Nothing like the CEO telling the underling how to do his job, when the CEO has no idea what the underling actually does, but the CEO read something about analytics and thinks it's a great solution to every need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top