Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Status: "Just think, a Buc-ee's replacing an old Buc-ee's." (set 10 days ago)

52,801 posts, read 48,214,262 times

Advertisements

Since this '21 baseball season is effectively over, it's time to start looking at player/personnel movement across MLB. Lots of rumors are flying and lots of ideas are being shared with clubs, all trying to improve their respective teams. Contracts are being renewed or reworked or cooked up for the first time. There will be free agency and trades, as you well know. It's nice for all of us to think about what our teams will look like next season. And it really won't be that long until pitchers and catchers report to Arizona and Florida.

You know the drill, as things will be active with the CBA and the Winter Meetings all coming. Please remember to keep it on topic, don't troll, don't attack, and we'll have a great thread here. And baseball is always a talking sport.

So, let 'er rip, y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 02:45 AM

834 posts, read 535,173 times
The Rays have 19 arb players who will all need raises. Cruz and Archer won't be re-signed and Kiermaier will most likely be traded. The Rays will shuffle the pitching staff around always and will try to upgrade a starter. Overall though, this is a roster with no holes.

I'm not worried about the Red Sox as they definitely over‐achieved this year.

The Yankees will probably have a good off-season only to see injuries nullify those deals.

The Orioles.....not sure what they should do.

I'm a little scared to see what the Blue Jays will look like with couple of added pieces.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:26 AM

21,035 posts, read 27,492,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
The Rays have 19 arb players who will all need raises. Cruz and Archer won't be re-signed and Kiermaier will most likely be traded. The Rays will shuffle the pitching staff around always and will try to upgrade a starter. Overall though, this is a roster with no holes.

I'm not worried about the Red Sox as they definitely over‐achieved this year.

The Yankees will probably have a good off-season only to see injuries nullify those deals.

I'm a little scared to see what the Blue Jays will look like with couple of added pieces.
The American League's East Division is predictable.

I see the Red Sox, Yankees, and Rays dominating the division. The Yankees and Red Sox are expected to win and contend for pennants. The Rays have gradually become a good contending club.

The Blue Jays have talent and coaching in place. They need to win more and make a postseason appearance.

The Orioles are a disaster. They do not win often and consistently. They produced Major League Baseball players that are playing elsewhere in the majors. They have revolving doors of general managers, managers, and coaches. They have ownership not invested and committed to winning. Orioles fans could be sick and tired of being sick and tired bottom dwelling in the American League East Division.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:07 PM

First off, three teams can't dominate a division. Even if they could, you left out the Jays, who are poised to challenge the Rays for the top spot.

The Rays havent gradually become a contender. They have clearly been the best team in the AL for two straight years. The year before that they were eliminated only by the cheating Astros.

You're saying the Jays need to win more? Interesting theory.....

What about off-seasom moves though? You know, the topic of this thread.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:27 PM

7,304 posts, read 3,975,419 times
We've seen the Jays go down this road before, looking like a team on the brink then fall back to the pack again.
Ray's payroll will increase substantially if they want to keep this group together. They should.
NY owns the wildcard position until someone proves they can take it away from them. They are the masters of the Wildcard.
Boston is hit or miss every year, you never know. It's either 4th-last place or deep in Oct. There's no in between.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:17 AM

The Jays have never had a team this young with this much talent. Adding a free agent or even just getting a full year out of Springer will be enough to top Boston and NY.

Shedding Kiermaier, Cruz, and Archer's salaries will pay for all of the Rays' arbitration costs. There aren't any other notable free agents for them to lose.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:02 PM

Here, first of all, is a list of rumors from MLB. Might see quite a bit of movement soon.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rumors-...d-transactions

J D Martinez is staying in Boston and finishing out his contract there in '22. He's not going anywhere else, at least, not now. They'll need his production as the AL East is going to be highly competitive again.

Interesting that the Dodgers did not extend a qualifying offer to Clayton Kershaw. Look for the Rangers to make a run at him. So far, I haven't seen any other teams showing interest.

A lot of folks are expecting Freddie Freeman to re-sign with Atlanta, but I'm not so sure here. He had indicated that he wants to stay, but there still isn't a deal as yet.

The Astros are offering Carlos Correa a five-year, $160-mil deal. If he decides not to return, then I'd like to see a Corey Seager or possibly a Trevor Story at short for Houston. Story is from Texas, so this situation, should it happen, will be a great fit for him. What Houston will have is Dusty Baker as manager for 2022, as they got that deal done. I'd still like to see Joe Espada become the Astros' next manager, so they should find a way to keep him as bench coach. Will the Astros go after another starting pitcher to complement their incumbents?

And I saw this prediction, and I'm not so sure I believe it. MLB.com is predicting that Chris Taylor will sign with the Phillies. I'd have to think that the Dodgers are making a qualifying offer for Taylor, and you'd think he'd bite on it.

The hardest thing to predict are surprises, and I still sense that there's going to be one (maybe two) in the works.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:10 PM

34,277 posts, read 17,352,927 times
If Thor can get $21mm, Stro gets closer to $150/5 vs $125/5.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:32 PM

17,759 posts, read 15,553,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post

Have their owners' funeral sooner rather than later.

Let's be honest.. until ownership changes in Baltimore, the Orioles aren't going to be serious competitors.

Orioles fans are as shell shocked as WFT fans and both have the same problem. Ownership. The only good news for the O's is that their owner is in his 90's.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Have their owners' funeral sooner rather than later.

Let's be honest.. until ownership changes in Baltimore, the Orioles aren't going to be serious competitors.

Orioles fans are as shell shocked as WFT fans and both have the same problem. Ownership. The only good news for the O's is that their owner is in his 90's.
I do agree with the part about the ownership, but the Orioles do have one of the best young GMs in the game in Mike Elias, and he's going to continue to bring in players who can make an impact in Baltimore. There's no reason to think that they couldn't contend in the near future, despite the fact that they're in a murderously tough division. Elias brings analytics to this team and, if given the chance, is going to stockpile a competitive roster that O's fans will be proud of having. Let's see what happens. They're going to have a good draft in '22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball