Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 11:13 AM

3,456 posts, read 3,382,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Now that the lockout ended, here are my thoughts on some of the things that are coming in 2022 or 2023:

Expanded playoffs (from 10 to 14). Not a fan of this. If they were reducing games I'd be OK, but when you are playing 162 you really don't need 7 playoff teams from each league because it just devalues your league. How long until a team that finishes a 162 game under .500 makes the playoffs, gets hot and wins the World Series, but because they went the distance in all series and they came in 6 under .500 to start, your "champion" has a losing overall record?? That wouldn't be too good.

Universal DH. Again, not a fan of this either. Takes the strategy completely out of the game. I loved the NL games where the pitchers spot comes up in the 7th inning with runners on 2nd & 3rd with 1 out, but it's only a 1-0 game, and the SP is dealing with 15 strikeouts and only 1 hit allowed. Do you let him bat and hope he puts the ball in play?? Do you risk putting in a pinch hitter with a better chance to add to the lead but knowing you are taking out someone that is dominating?? That's a risk teams don't have to face anymore, and IMO it's a shame. Teams might as well save a few dollars and just replace managers with robots because they will be made all but redudntant and useless now.

Potential Home Run derby in the All Star game to decide the winner. I forgot what inning, but if if the All Star game is tied after a certain inning they will play a home run derby to decide the winner. I love this. The ASG has gone back to what it deserves to be.....an exhibition game, so why not have some fun with it?? I'd personally have it after the 9th inning.

This coming for 2023 season: Starting that season, every team in MLB will play at least 1 series against every other team in the majors. This is really the thing I hate the most in all of this. Take away 6 games a year between the Mets & Nationals (or fill in division rival) just so they can play 3 games a year against the Tigers & Mariners each year?? Why?!?!?!? It's freaking 2022 for Christ's sake!! Everybody in Seattle that wants to see Juan Soto can watch Nats games on MLB TV or watch highlights on YouTube. It's not 1990 where the internet was just in its infancy! If people were actually going to the stadium I could see why they would do this, but I don't think the attendance numbers will even improve that much anyways. Why even have divisions in this case anymore?? Which ties into my final point

Another thing I really hate (and maybe even more than the above) starting this year: No more tiebreaker games. All tiebreakers will be decided by NFL & NBA rules: head to head or conference record. Watching the final weeks of the year this was the only highlight, hoping for chaos for tiebreaker games. Imagine being tied for the division heading into the last game, and whoever wins the division is decided on who wins a Royals/Pirates game?? I can't imagine! Dumb!

Only other smart moves were getting rid of the 7 inning double headers and the dopey ghost runner, which I was scared would be made permanent in Rob Manfred's quest to kill the game, but luckily (or unluckily for him maybe) those 2 didn't pass. But still, more negatives than positives on my ledger. I'd like to head any other thoughts on this.
Yeah, I agree with you who cares about say, the Cubs playing the Rays each year? I think to me, it's fun to still see those traditional within the division rivalries occur, even if say the Cubs vs. Pirates one(and where I'm convinced the Pirates owner doesn't care enough to spend enough money, to make that team at least a little bit competitive) can get a little boring.

I think the way the playoffs were all the way till like 2021 was fine, as it was. With the 3 division winners getting in, plus the top 2 wild card teams having a one game playoff to be the 4th team(and wild card winner out of each league) for the playoffs. Why does the playoff field have to be expanded beyond that? Soon you'll have a barely above or below .500 team getting into the playoffs, and I don't care to see that in the playoffs at all. And you're right too that fans of the Rays outside of the AL and way outside of Tampa, could just look clips of them up on the MLB app or on YouTube.

I'm still not a huge fan of adding the DH, into the NL. I won't deny yes that pitchers can't hit as well as non-pitchers, but it's still fun to see the strategy that managers do in situations like you say. Whether they'll keep in their pitcher to bat, or to put in a pinch hitter.

You forgot to talk about other rumors, I've heard. I.e. going to automatic strike zones and doing away with umpires(or at least reducing the use of umpires), and banning defensive shifts. Honestly to me, the current way during MLB games they have instant replay reviews during games seems fine to me. I think it's still important to have umpires, if you ask me. And, what is with MLB wanting to ban defensive shifts?!? That is just as screwed up to me, as adding the DH into NL games.

As for commissioners, I'm convinced MLB commissioners always have sucked. Whether it's Selig, Manfred, etc. It's all about making extra money for the owners, and then not caring if fans and players get the shaft.

I did like what one poster suggested, about capping beer prices, parking, food, etc at a certain rate. But honestly I get this sense MLB owners are too addicted to making boatloads of money, that it'll take a crash in attendance, TV ratings, etc, to make the owners and Manfred realize these stupid changes they wanted to do to MLB baseball games were a mistake.

Finally, I do agree that some sort of mini hone run derby seems like to me a fun way to end the All Star Game on doing. Also I am glad they went back to 9 innings for double header games, instead of 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 09:37 AM

3,456 posts, read 3,382,424 times
And where I said "But honestly I get this sense MLB owners are too addicted to making boatloads of money, that it'll take a crash in attendance, TV ratings, etc, to make the owners and Manfred realize these stupid changes they wanted to do to MLB baseball games were a mistake.", I should've also said that it'll take a crash in attendance over numerous years for attendance and ratings, for the commissioner and owners to realize these silly rule changes and proposals are NOT needed. I.e. adding the DH to the NL, where if anything is eliminate it from the AL as well, reducing the number of divisional games(as to me, I don't care about NL teams playing EVERY AL team in interleague play each year, and vice versa), supposedly that in 2023 MLB wants to ban defensive shifts and go to automatic computer determined strike zones, list goes on of these recently implemented rule changes(and yet to be implemented ones, rumored to occur in 2023) that I do NOT see MLB fans clamoring to see added to baseball games. And as for the DH in the NL while I know a few who favored that(stupid, I know IMO, my dad weirdly being one such person), I notice more baseball fans I know oppose this rule change(including myself) than support it. Yes I know there are pitchers who can't hit well, but that's okay since I REALLY like seeing the strategy of what managers will do in such situations.

And I remember reading one such study, that showed the age of the average MLB fan was getting older. I'm not sure if that average age really is 58(though I get the sense the average age of such a baseball fan isn't quite that old), but I get the feeling that's more one random study than anything else. But anyway if baseball wasn't so focused on stupid rule changes no fans were asking for, and just keeps the games the way they've always been(including seeing the strategy managers do, YES this includes letting pitchers hit and NOT unnecessarily using the stupid DH in the NL, honestly I'd like to see the DH scrapped in the AL too), that'll do the most to attract fans to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball