Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 06:04 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 1 day ago)

52,704 posts, read 47,981,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Ok, I don't feel like doing the math. Is that league minimum times roster size?

They had better get to the table and figure things out. Fans are STILL ticked about '94 and.. They cannot afford another stoppage.
At least, Bud Selig got it right and baseball had a good thing going for two decades. Dang, we still miss him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 10:28 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,740,737 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yObZe5rab6w

This guy has a good summary of the 4 main economic issues.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:48 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
I read in Sports Illustrated that MLB proposed having the right to lower the number of minor league players per organization by at least 30 per team. Supposedly they weren't proposing to actually do the reduction right now, but to have the right to do it later.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:17 AM
46H

1,654 posts, read 1,402,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Sure....the four year window a small-payroll team has now to compete with homegrown players is too much. Mightas well cut the MLB down to 12 teams and make the other 16 into a new AAAA league.
This is a false premise. Each team receives over $100 million of shared revenue before they even sell one ticket/park one car/sell 1 hot dog/sell 1 beer. If these "poor" owners cannot make it work, they should sell their teams. Surprisingly, there are no teams for sale. The least valuable team is roughly worth $1 BILLION (Marlins).

"Along with the TV deals, MLB teams also receive extra money through revenue sharing. Each team pools 48% of the revenue they earn and the total amount is then split evenly (3.3% of the total) and given to each team. Teams receive more than $110 million through revenue sharing."

Owners who do not spend money are lying about 'small market financing'.

"With the previous CBA, Revenue sharing was supposed to be used for each team to improve their team, but nearly half the league had a payroll below $100 million last season. Clubs have been using loopholes to invest the money into their scouting and player development systems and other areas without improving their team on the field."
https://dodgerblue.com/mlb-teams-rec...ts/2022/02/12/

Teams hiding behind the small market lie are making money hand over fist while they never compete. This is why baseball is losing eyeballs. Nobody wants to pay MLB prices for AAA baseball.

Here is an example:
The current Pirate payroll of 25 -
16 at the $575,000 min - 2 way contracts adds up to $9.2 million
2 at $600,000 - 2 way contracts adds up to $1.2 million
7 between $1.8mil and $5 million = $21.45 million of actual MLB contracts
This total is $31.45million.

What a joke. Pittsburgh has a beautiful, modern stadium, a hardcore sports population and Robert Nutting puts out a team that cannot compete. What is he doing with the $70 million of shared revenue plus the ticket/parking/f&b revenue? Shoving it into his pocket while crying poor.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:38 PM

450 posts, read 252,824 times
What think ye of this suggestion that owners open the camps anyway, as perhaps a sign of good faith and thought of the fans (and making negotiations easier to resume due to union leadership being in proximity to the owners at ST)?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...use-to-use-it/

Old 02-18-2022, 03:28 PM

17,606 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
What think ye of this suggestion that owners open the camps anyway, as perhaps a sign of good faith and thought of the fans (and making negotiations easier to resume due to union leadership being in proximity to the owners at ST)?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...use-to-use-it/

The problem there is that the whole reason there's a lockout, as I understand it, was to take away the chance of the players going on strike in August or something like that. Like what happened in '94.

They seem to think the better idea is to lose the entire season vs play a partial season, then have a stoppage with cancellation of playoffs.

In all honesty.. I think I'd actually agree with them. NEITHER is a good idea. But I do think a '94 situation would be far more damaging.

Old 02-19-2022, 04:38 PM

18,224 posts, read 25,871,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

They had better get to the table and figure things out. Fans are STILL ticked about '94 and.. They cannot afford another stoppage.
Labonte18 is right. I had moved from Denver in '93 and I knew several baseball card stores in the metro area that eventually folded their tents due to poor sales because of the strike. The only ones that were able to weather the sh*t st*rm were guys who had a lot of money sunk in vintage football, basketball, and hockey cards and of course jerseys, t-shirts, ball caps, etc.

And then there were the vendors, attendants, cooks, and other people employed by the MLB clubs. The seniors needed that extra money to supplant their retirement income and the younger employees? Well, fortunately a lot of them had found employment elsewhere. they were lucky that the area's economy had improved a lot from those bad years from '89 to '92.

We don't need no stinking work stoppage!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-19-2022 at 04:47 PM..

Old 02-20-2022, 12:54 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,559,944 times
Can you say that 'the waiting is the hardest part'? Apologies to Tom Petty, but we fans are very impatient.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:00 PM

17,340 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Billionaire owners fighting with millionaire players on how to split the blue collar guys money?

I could fix the whole thing:

1. Beer is limited to $5, hotdogs $4, parking is free
2. Tickets are capped at $150, majority of the seats are $50-75 a game
3. Players make 500K a year for the first 5 years. 1mm a year on years 6-7, 2mm a year 8-10. 100K bonus for every year you play as a retirement gift. Play 10 years and you get a 1mm bonus upon retirement.
4. Owners cannot get city/state tax money for stadium upgrades, you are a billionaire owner then you fix up your own stadium!

Marlins just sold for 1 billion and the stadium is 10% full on most games. 50-60% full if a big market team is in town to play. Stadium funded by the City of Miami through a bed tax or something for the next 20-30 years. Last owner left town with like a 700 million dollar profit after selling the team.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:18 PM

155 posts, read 179,467 times
The ones who really lose out are the fans. Professional sports have pretty much priced themselves out for some people. I used to have partial season ticket plans to the Pittsburgh Pirates up until 2019. It got too expensive. I went to one game in 2021. I still shelled out over $100 for 2 decent seats. Also not to mention the overpriced food, drinks, and merchandise.

People talk about how baseball is “slow”. Yet the average NFL game last just about as long as an average MLB game. They want to “speed” up the game. How about you just let baseball be itself. MLB has either become a homerun or strikeout. Bring back double steals, bunts for base hits, suicide squeeze, hit and run, get rid of shifts and the DH. Bring back strategy in the game.

I know people will say that but the pitchers are horrible batters. In a theory yes they are and also some batters are horrible batters. The same way that batters are horrible pitchers. The AL brought the DH in the 1970’s. Has it really improved scoring for the AL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball