Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 06:34 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,416,968 times

Advertisements

I follow my MLB home-team every year.

I subscribe to MLB tv.

That said...I have no idea nor details of what is going on in this lockout.

Can anyone guestimate....when or if....the season will begin?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 11:53 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post

People talk about how baseball is “slow”. Yet the average NFL game last just about as long as an average MLB game. They want to “speed” up the game. How about you just let baseball be itself. MLB has either become a homerun or strikeout. Bring back double steals, bunts for base hits, suicide squeeze, hit and run, get rid of shifts and the DH. Bring back strategy in the game.

I know people will say that but the pitchers are horrible batters. In a theory yes they are and also some batters are horrible batters. The same way that batters are horrible pitchers. The AL brought the DH in the 1970’s. Has it really improved scoring for the AL?
It's a cerebral game, most people just can't grasp the nuance.

As far as I'm concerned Jon Lester's four career home runs are more interesting than Edgar Martinez's entire career.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:04 PM

26,220 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Here's what I got today out of Yahoo sports. Amazing to me that even the youngest player starts at $640,000 year. Holy cow.

JUPITER, Fla. — Major League Baseball said Wednesday that the 2022 season will be shortened if no labor agreement has been reached by the end of Monday. Management had maintained that was the deadline for a deal that would allow the season to start as scheduled on March 31. Players have not said whether they accept that timeframe, and there remains a sense both sides are awaiting more time pressure to force more major moves by the other.

The declaration from MLB came after another day of minor moves. Major League Baseball’s only new offer to players Wednesday was to increase the minimum salary by an additional $10,000 a year.

MLB upped its proposed minimum for this year to $640,000, with the figure rising by $10,000 in each additional season of a five-year agreement.

Players have asked for $775,000 in 2022, with $30,000 jumps each season.

There appeared to be little or no movement on the key issue of luxury tax thresholds and rates, or the size of the bonus pool for pre-arbitration players
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:05 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Sick of them all. They have ruined Americas game. Let them go work at Burger King.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Sick of them all. They have ruined Americas game. Let them go work at Burger King.
Ya want a Billy Martin bobblehead with that Whopper?

Old 02-24-2022, 11:22 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
One of MLB's first mistakes was letting that incompetent clown Dick Monfort be part of the negotiating team. Love my Rockies, but you could spot him the entire Dodgers roster and he'd still find a way to lose. Dude's a moron. He's the Mike Brown of MLB.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:53 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,479,862 times
The MLB labor negotiations have reached the 9th inning. Can they get a deal done by let's say 11:59 on Monday night?? I'm not going to hold my breath. This whole week the needle barely moved.

I love baseball, but watching billionaires battling millionaires over a couple dollars really isn't a good look at all. MLB lost a good chunk of fan base in '94 and I think this would be a lot worse. There's already debate about how MLB is on the sports landscape in the US: Obviously football and basketball are higher, auto racing is probably higher now, possibly hockey. There's a very likely chance MLB falls to about 7th or 8th on the totem poll behind auto racing, hockey, golf and soccer if the season can't start on time.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:55 AM

979 posts, read 418,512 times
The NL will be a lot less interesting. And I'm sick of shortened seasons.

Old 02-26-2022, 11:36 AM

MLB is starting to remind me of the French who seem to always be striking over something. C'est la vie.

Old 02-26-2022, 04:46 PM

yahoo reports no progress today, almost sounds like they're going backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball