Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2022, 03:51 PM
 
Location: In a perfect world winter does not exist
3,661 posts, read 2,957,903 times
Reputation: 6763

Advertisements

They should be lucky owners have enough fans and TV viewers to pay the bills. Its the most boring sport there is, so ridiculous they need to play 162 reg season games when most of the stands are half empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2022, 04:03 PM
 
26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Reputation: 31801
No progress today.

Manfred cancelled the first two series of regular season play.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2022, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Reputation: 4126
I think it's only a matter of time until the entire month of April gets wiped clean, but let's just say the reach a settlement in the next couple of days and only the first 2 series are cancelled, even those first 2 series will have an effect on playoff teams. Face it, baseball is the only sport where you have an unbalanced schedule, and generally northern teams have more scheduled off days in April then Western/Southern/indoors teams to account for the weather. A lot of teams may only miss 6 games, but there's a few that could only miss 5 while there's probably 1 or 2 West coast teams that were scheduled to play 8 games, so 5 is way different than 8. Imagine at the end of the year if an outdoor Eastern team (let's say the Mets) are tied with a West Coast/Southern/Indoor team (let's say the Brewers) with 59 losses but because of all the scheduled off days the Mets and their ilk get at the beginning of the year they played 3 less games then the Brewers did. Who would get the playoff spot in that case??

Likewise, let's take the AL East: the Yankees scheduled first 2 series were at the Astros (the defending AL champions) and @ the Rangers (a team that made a lot of improvements in November & December). All of a sudden that's 6 less games the Yankees have to play against two probably good teams that the rest of the division has to play, while a divisional opponent (the Blue jays) in that same time frame LOSE a series against an Orioles team still projected to be one of the worst in the league.

With this short-sightedness, now I hope the lockout lasts until May, so the entire schedule has to get reworked, so just add these missed games on either at the end of the year or squeeze them in during the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2022, 06:18 AM
 
450 posts, read 253,898 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
[L]et's take the AL East: the Yankees scheduled first 2 series were at the Astros (the defending AL champions) and @ the Rangers (a team that made a lot of improvements in November & December). All of a sudden that's 6 less games the Yankees have to play against two probably good teams that the rest of the division has to play, while a divisional opponent (the Blue jays) in that same time frame LOSE a series against an Orioles team still projected to be one of the worst in the league.

With this short-sightedness, now I hope the lockout lasts until May, so the entire schedule has to get reworked, so just add these missed games on either at the end of the year or squeeze them in during the season.
You got the order wrong, and it's >6 games. Per NYY's printed schedule at https://mktg.mlbstatic.com/yankees/d...chedule-v2.pdf it was going to be @TEX first, then @HOU, a total of 7 games. HOU's first series was to be @PHI. But the rest of the point holds.

Last edited by Boothwynman; 03-02-2022 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2022, 09:04 AM
 
26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Reputation: 31801
Well, at least my Orioles are still undefeated this year!
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2022, 10:23 AM
 
155 posts, read 179,533 times
Reputation: 163
I’ve read so many articles on both side of the aisle. I wish the commissioner would stop talking about that people won’t get paid. They won’t get paid their contract. I read an article that said the owners looked together 1 billion dollars for the top players during the pandemic. Also I read another article that the players can apply for a stipend through MLBPA. They first month was $5,000 and the second month was $15,000.

Baseball is on the rocks right now. So who know how this will turn out? If and when it finally does get resolved. There maybe no fans to come back too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2022, 01:15 PM
 
Location: In a perfect world winter does not exist
3,661 posts, read 2,957,903 times
Reputation: 6763
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post
I’ve read so many articles on both side of the aisle. I wish the commissioner would stop talking about that people won’t get paid. They won’t get paid their contract. I read an article that said the owners looked together 1 billion dollars for the top players during the pandemic. Also I read another article that the players can apply for a stipend through MLBPA. They first month was $5,000 and the second month was $15,000.

Baseball is on the rocks right now. So who know how this will turn out? If and when it finally does get resolved. There maybe no fans to come back too.
Exactly this. Fans go somewhere else. Look what happened when movie theatres were shut down. Hardly anyone goes to the movies where I live, we learned to stay at home more and more.

Same thing the stupid countries who are paranoid with Covid. Like Canada I live close to Canada and they still require a covid test to go up as well as being fully vaxxed. I myself and others have learned we don't need to go up and enjoy what they have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2022, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
6,406 posts, read 8,995,643 times
Reputation: 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Exactly this. Fans go somewhere else. Look what happened when movie theatres were shut down. Hardly anyone goes to the movies where I live, we learned to stay at home more and more.

Same thing the stupid countries who are paranoid with Covid. Like Canada I live close to Canada and they still require a covid test to go up as well as being fully vaxxed. I myself and others have learned we don't need to go up and enjoy what they have to offer.
Theater traffic appears back to normal where I live. For someone that thinks baseball is the most boring sport their is you are very interested in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2022, 09:51 AM
 
4,952 posts, read 3,066,789 times
Reputation: 6753
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Exactly this. Fans go somewhere else.

Players already make too much, in a sport with more career longevity than most.
Even if they settle, I won't attend any games; the hell with them.
I'll attend outdoor concerts instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2022, 10:00 AM
 
17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Reputation: 22936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Players already make too much, in a sport with more career longevity than most.
Even if they settle, I won't attend any games; the hell with them.
I'll attend outdoor concerts instead.

I disagree, if the owners are making that much, the players should get paid that much.


Now.. We could make some arguments on how much the owners are making and where that's coming from If it's coming from TV rights, etc, etc.. That's one thing.


If it's coming from a $10 hot dog, $30 parking and $50 ticket at the game.. That's another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top