Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2022, 11:17 PM

390 posts, read 406,533 times

Advertisements

This weekend a lot of teams were not able to play due to rain. Rain is part of spring and summer weather, so it shouldn’t be surprising.

What is surprising is the rescheduling aspect of this. It could have an effect on home field advantage in the end of the season. For example, if you got rained out on this weekend, or any time, they might schedule you to play in September. Who decides who is home or away? If you were to play at home that day do they reschedule you for you to host? Not to mention, if you are a contender for the playoffs, it could really come down to the wire.

Also, some teams like the Yankees share a stadium. New York City soccer team also plays at Yankee Stadium. So that’s something to think if they schedule for another time.

Are there set rules with MLB about rainouts? Why are some games called in the fifth inning? Does the home team still get the bottom of the 5th inning in a rainy game?

Can someone explain what is up with the Detroit Tigers and Oakland A’s? On Monday they are supposed to play at Detroit. The schedule then says the next day they host the Tigers, and play them the same day again in Detroit, following with Wednesday and Thursday at Detroit again. Did I read this wrong? Are they really going to fly 2386 miles the same day for a game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 09:18 PM

26,297 posts, read 49,227,287 times
Three double-headers today, in NYC, PHI and BAL to play games rained out yesterday (Saturday).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:32 PM

9,812 posts, read 7,543,663 times
I'm going to break this up a bit. I just hope I formatted this right as I'm running on about 4 hours of sleep last night, but here goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
This weekend a lot of teams were not able to play due to rain. Rain is part of spring and summer weather, so it shouldn’t be surprising.

What is surprising is the rescheduling aspect of this. It could have an effect on home field advantage in the end of the season. For example, if you got rained out on this weekend, or any time, they might schedule you to play in September. Who decides who is home or away? If you were to play at home that day do they reschedule you for you to host? Not to mention, if you are a contender for the playoffs, it could really come down to the wire.
The big thing here is postponed means the game will be made up (or at least an attempt made); whereas as game being cancelled means it is just that.....cancelled and will not be made up. Cancelled games were more common earlier in the decade, but now, especially coming off the pandemic teams & owners want a full 81 game gate, so if a series finale between two 49 win teams gets rained out, they'll likely still make that game up, whereas in past years since the 2 teams were going no where and no impact at all on the playoff field they'd just cancelled it, especially if it was two teams in different divisions that didn't come back. So, with that said any postponed game will be made at the site the original game was scheduled for except on a rare occassion (one of which accurs below so I'll explain down there). If it's a divisional series, it's easier to make up, because as long as it isn't the final series in that stadium, they'll just schedule a double header in one of the remaining series. If it's an out of division team it's a little more complicated: if it's the last day of the series, then you have to find a mutual off day on the calendar that both teams have to play the game, and surprisingly this doesn't happen often, there's probably less than 5 mutual off days. And yes, it can really ruin a schedule. I think the Rangers (due to the lockout schedule) have to go to Miami to play a double header on an off day between 2 home series, and than that same week come back to Florida to play Tampa. And the reason that happened is because the Marlins and Rangers had like 3 common off days, and 1 of them was the first week of the season when the Marlins were coming back from the West Coast

Quote:
Also, some teams like the Yankees share a stadium. New York City soccer team also plays at Yankee Stadium. So that’s something to think if they schedule for another time.
I'm pretty sure the Yankees have priority at Yankee Stadium over NYCFC, so even if NYCFC had a game scheduled at home, I'm pretty sure the NYCFC game would get moved. I recall this happening a few times in 2021 IIRC

Quote:
Are there set rules with MLB about rainouts? Why are some games called in the fifth inning? Does the home team still get the bottom of the 5th inning in a rainy game?
Yes. The home team has discretion to what time/whether it starts, but once the game starts than the crew chief of the umpire crew gets final call. A game has to play at least 4.5 innings to be official. If the home team is leading after the top of the 5th than it's official; if the home team is losing/or the game is tied after the top of the 5th than the home team has to bat. If they take the lead after the inning concludes (or I think even during the inning too??) than it's official. If the home team is losing or the game is tied than the inning must conclude or at the very least the home team has to take the lead before it becomes official. That's why you hear about suspended games: these are games where the home team was losing while they were still batting in an inning, or the game was tied, so they resume that game from exactly where the suspension occured.

Quote:
Can someone explain what is up with the Detroit Tigers and Oakland A’s? On Monday they are supposed to play at Detroit. The schedule then says the next day they host the Tigers, and play them the same day again in Detroit, following with Wednesday and Thursday at Detroit again. Did I read this wrong? Are they really going to fly 2386 miles the same day for a game?
This is a product of the lockout schedule and one of my scenario's above about where a postponed game would take place in a site other than where the original occured; the Tigers were scheduled to play @ Oakland (3 games) in the second series of the season. What they did to the second series was spread them throughout the schedule. I think 10/15 were divisional games so those weren't a problem just adding double headers, but this was probably the hardest one to reschedule; they are playing a double header in Oakland right out of the All Star game but for the 3rd game they either couldn't work out any mutual dates, or Detroit didn't want to take another trip out West for a single game, so that's what happened here. This is also what happens in a final series game getting postponed for teams who don't play again in that original stadium. The Tigers in this case host 5 games against the A's, but one of those 5 games will be the last makeup game of that scheduled series that got nixed. Oakland will bat 2nd, and Oakland I believe gets credit for the gate sales, but the games will take place in Detroit. One of the rare occassions where a team can get walked off in their own stadium. I think the Mets did this to the Yankees at Yankee Stadium in 2020. These things happened from time to time. The Blue Jays and Angels had this same thing happen last year when the finale of their 4 game set in Dunedin got postponed, so the Jays and Angels played a double header at Anaheim in the return series where the jays were the "home" team at the Big A for one of those games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball