Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2022, 10:47 PM

389 posts, read 400,093 times

Advertisements

Following the allegations of stealing signs and other shenanigans by Houston, they have been looked at entirely differently by the entire league, especially the Yankees. I recently read an article that got me thinking about a lot of things regarding the aforementioned teams.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/29/mets-a...-strength/amp/

This article, written by the New York Post, was praising the Astros strength. I am asking the question of who is better team, Houston or New York (Yankees?)

That question is very vague, so if I were to be more specific, who has better starting rotation, better lineup, and better bullpen?

I don’t understand why the NY Post would praise the opponent. Does the newspaper in Houston write articles about the potential of New York? I just, in my opinion, feel like anyone who reads the New York Post does not want to hear Houston getting special treatment.

Personally, I forgave Houston for whatever they did in the last couple years. It’s in the past and what’s important now is the future, in my opinion. Does it still make me upset, since I am from New York, that all the times New York went home in October, a little bit. What I disliked the most was the rollercoaster ride of emotions I went through watching the Yankees. From very optimistic moments to moments of despair, it wasn’t easy to remain a Yankee fan the last couple of falls.

How do you feel about that now? Do you think they deserve an asterisk next to their previous championships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 12:26 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
A couple reasons:

1) Probably because not as much distributed as the Wall Street Journal or New York times, the NY Post is a paper that is delivered I'm not going to say all over the world, but is available in most of the world, likely including Houston, TX. All I know is I've seen in newsstands traveling in Florida, and Europe among other places outside of New York. So, it's not so much a local paper as it is a national one, and hence they will discuss Houston. I don't think the Houston Chronicle is as available as the Post is, but is still well known in the media.

2) Joel Sherman who wrote the article is a baseball correspondent who covers the sport nationally for the paper and also who appears on MLB Network occasionally as an analysis on MLB Tonight.

Old 06-30-2022, 05:54 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post

https://nypost.com/2022/06/29/mets-a...-strength/amp/

This article, written by the New York Post, was praising the Astros strength. I am asking the question of who is better team, Houston or New York (Yankees?)

That question is very vague, so if I were to be more specific, who has better starting rotation, better lineup, and better bullpen?
The Post wrote an article about HOU because they were in town to play both NY teams.

Pitching is pretty even. Both at the tops in league in ERA, WHiP, and BAA. HOU bullpen blew two games. Yanks offense over the course of the year is better. +150 run diff is tops in the league by a mile.
It was a solid 4 game series. No hitter, almost 2. Pitching dominated. Neither team could find a groove offensively except for homers. Yankees must have set a new record for foul tips in a series.
Yanks had Verlander's pitch count up first two innings then let him off the hook after swinging away at everything.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:03 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,558,437 times
Person for person, they're just about even, but Houston has better defenders. Let's just see who commands their strength of schedules better in the second half (with the Yankees still yet to play some of their tough division foes).

Old 07-07-2022, 04:17 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
As constructed now, a toss up….Will see after trade deadline.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:49 PM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Person for person, they're just about even, but Houston has better defenders. Let's just see who commands their strength of schedules better in the second half (with the Yankees still yet to play some of their tough division foes).
They've played all the tough division foes numerous games.
NY has the best defensive metrics in the league and are somehwere around 18-5 vs TAM, TOR, and BOS combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball