Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which historic ballpark do you prefer?
Wrigley 14 53.85%
Fenway 12 46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2022, 05:29 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,342,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post

It's pretty much always crowded at both Wrigley and Fenway. Prices are jacked up through the roof at both for tickets, making them unaffordable, no matter what part of the park you sit in, and even if the teams are playing terribly.
They are both averaging over 32k people per game.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 05:30 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,346,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post

If the Red Sox swoon continues, there will be an awful lot of unsold scalper tickets on StubHub. The Red Sox haven’t had many spans of losing seasons where the fans don’t show up since they became competitive in 1967. I remember going to Fenway in the mid-1960s when it was empty. It’s not like anyone wanted to watch them battle it out for last place with the Washington Senators. It’s not the ballpark. It’s the competitive team. String together a few bad years where NESN television revenue goes into the toilet where they can’t sign expensive players and the season ticket holders stop renewing. As one of the most expensive tickets in MLB, it requires a winning team.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:39 AM

12,939 posts, read 22,109,374 times
Quote:
I couldn't believe how much a Lobster roll at Fenway costed. Parking is always an issue and headache.

Going to both of these ballpark are great for a "first time experience", but for repeat baseball gameday experiences, I highly dislike them. On a regular basis, I'd rather be at a ballpark that is newer that has more space, less obstructions, more options for food/drinks, easier parking, and more affordable tickets. At the end of the day Wrigley and Fenway are historic places that are tourist attractions more than they are a place to watch a baseball game; especially Wrigley. If I had to pick one or the other, I prefer Fenway just slightly more. I like the Green Monster and the more angular layout a bit more, and there are more interesting food options for me (especially growing up in Chicago, it's a nice change) . But both are worth checking out at least once if you've never been.
Lobster roll prices have skyrocketed in the area over the past year or so, to the point where Fenway's lobster roll is actually on par with (or cheaper than) the average restaurant outside of the park. $35 lobster rolls are the new normal everywhere. Absolutely insane, but normal now.

Parking at either has always sort of been a head scratcher for me. I've never understood spending $50+ to park next to the ballpark only to deal with the headache of getting in (at rush hour, on weekdays) and then waiting in standstill traffic after the game as fans walk in the streets and all of the lots/garages empty out at once. I can understand paying extra for convenience, but unless you've also hired a driver, there's nothing particularly convenient about it. I've always taken the train which is quicker and cheaper (if a bit crowded). At Fenway, there is ample parking at lots and garages some 10-15 minutes on foot from the stadium where you'll pay a lot less and get back on the highway a good deal quicker than if you parked right at the stadium.

I don't disagree on the experience aspect of things. Many newer stadiums are far more comfortable, enjoyable experiences (and a good deal cheaper).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If the Red Sox swoon continues, there will be an awful lot of unsold scalper tickets on StubHub. The Red Sox haven’t had many spans of losing seasons where the fans don’t show up since they became competitive in 1967. I remember going to Fenway in the mid-1960s when it was empty. It’s not like anyone wanted to watch them battle it out for last place with the Washington Senators. It’s not the ballpark. It’s the competitive team. String together a few bad years where NESN television revenue goes into the toilet where they can’t sign expensive players and the season ticket holders stop renewing. As one of the most expensive tickets in MLB, it requires a winning team.
It's already happening. I regularly check on the Tickpick app since we're a pretty easy hop from the park and it's a great, reasonably cheap weeknight outing when we can find decent seats for cheap (often as low as $10 after taxes/fees). Prices have come way down already. I have a friend who is a season ticket holder posting multiple games every day on Facebook for "face value" and getting no bites.

Competitive is the best way to put butts in seats and ultimately, that's the goal. But a "mediocre" team can draw if it's a team that appears to be developing (or has the potential to develop) into a better one. The Sox feel like the opposite of that - like a team on the downswing. The best thing about this team is Devers, and you can't watch him play without the sense that the Red Sox will find a way to not sign him long term and also insult him in the process. There's a very good chance that Bogaerts is gone by Tuesday. And it doesn't seem like the Sox are anywhere close to being a real contender in AL East for some time to come. Ticket prices may continue to drop for the foreseeable future.

Old 07-27-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I understand. We the PP said that tickets are unaffordable and my point is that doesn’t seem to be the case right now.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:06 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,419,814 times
Quote:

And yet tickets are still way more expensive at Wrigley than they are at Guaranteed Rate Field.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
And yet tickets are still way more expensive at Wrigley than they are at Guaranteed Rate Field.
I’m sorry. I guess I’m missing your point. You said Wrigley and Fenway tickets are jacked up to the point they are unaffordable, yet the Cubs with their unaffordable tickets outdraw the White Sox at GRF.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:55 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,419,814 times
Quote:
I’m sorry. I guess I’m missing your point. You said Wrigley and Fenway tickets are jacked up to the point they are unaffordable, yet the Cubs with their unaffordable tickets outdraw the White Sox at GRF.
Yeah, and I said that makes for a more exhausting game day experience. Wrigley is cramped, crowded, and expensive. It's not a place I'd want to go to regularly to watch my favorite team. The White Sox Stadium has drastically cheaper tickets, and there's much more room to spread out. Obviously it's not a tourist attraction like Wrigley is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball