Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 08:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Bill Shanks has written a number of articles in recent weeks that seem to support firing Fredi and hiring a better manager. I am guessing that Bobby Cox is probably the person that might save Fredi's job, as the front office might keep Fredi around just to keep from offending Bobby. That would be the wrong move but I think it is absolutely possible.
Fredi Gonzalez and his staff were given one-year extensions for the 2016 season with club options for the 2017 season in July.

I would question that decision as the Braves continue to lose games. If retaining the entire coaching staff is the worst move that can be made, better moves such as spending money on good players to win next season should be made in the offseason.

Further reading:
O'Brien, David. "Braves extend contract for Gonzalez." Atlanta Journal-Constitution. 2015-07-17.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Somebody please - PUT A FORK IN THIS TEAM - THEY ARE DONE!

It wasn't bad enough we got beat 20 something to hardly anything over the weekend... but to get beat like a drum AGAIN yesterday????

I've been a fan for years - I knew a lot of the players personally in the 90's run - this team sucks....
The Braves have abandoned their fan base by stepping away from a standard of winning. Consistently dropping disastrous losses does not help their cause.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:56 AM

Default Game #135 (2015-09-03, 19:05): Braves at Nationals

Atlanta Braves:
Record: 54-80
Standing: Fourth, National League East Division (20.0 games behind New York Mets)

Washington Nationals:
Record: 68-65
Standing: Second, National League East Division (6.5 games behind New York Mets)

Starting pitchers:
Braves: Julio Teheran (9-7, 4.62 earned run average, 139 strikeouts)
Nationals: Tanner Roark (4-4, 4.54 earned run average, 52 strikeouts)

Old 09-04-2015, 11:34 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,924 times
All we can hope for is that, with time, the young guys on the team and in the minors show steady improvement, as they are the future of the team. While I agree that the team isn't playing well right now, there isn't a ton of MLB-ready talent on the team. A rebuild doesn't get completed in 1 year. I honestly don't believe it will be completed in 2017 either. They will be closer in 2017 but I would be a bit surprised if the team makes the playoffs in 2017 unless they really splurge on free agent spending (which is possible).

Old 09-04-2015, 11:39 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Matt Wisler earned his ticket for an assignment to the minor leagues. He gave up five hits, allowed seven earned runs, gave up three bases on balls, and completed one strikeout through one and two-thirds innings before being pulled. He fell to 5-6 for the season as the Braves (54-80) fell to the Nationals 15-1.

Bryce Harper had a good night for the Nationals going hitless and scoring four runs.
Wisler won't be sent down. Aye yi yi! It's September, the time rookies get called up, and Gwinnett's season is almost over. Wisler is here to stay this season.

Quote:
The Braves have abandoned their fan base by stepping away from a standard of winning. Consistently dropping disastrous losses does not help their cause.

The Braves are rebuilding. Real fans realize that and look forward to the future. The only people they're abandoning are fair weather fans, and good riddance.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
All we can hope for is that, with time, the young guys on the team and in the minors show steady improvement, as they are the future of the team. While I agree that the team isn't playing well right now, there isn't a ton of MLB-ready talent on the team. A rebuild doesn't get completed in 1 year. I honestly don't believe it will be completed in 2017 either. They will be closer in 2017 but I would be a bit surprised if the team makes the playoffs in 2017 unless they really splurge on free agent spending (which is possible).
The Braves need to buy Major League Baseball ready talent this offseason. I hope they find good players on the market.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Wisler won't be sent down. Aye yi yi! It's September, the time rookies get called up, and Gwinnett's season is almost over. Wisler is here to stay this season.
Wisler is going to be a bench warmer or will be in the bullpen. He needs to prove he is capable of starting games and can pitch well enough to win them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31
The Braves are rebuilding. Real fans realize that and look forward to the future. The only people they're abandoning are fair weather fans, and good riddance.
I was a real Braves fan at one time. The Braves were a respected and reputable baseball club years ago. When the organization abandons the standard of winning and leaves its real fans, it is difficult to recover. "Braves Country" is not what it is.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:26 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
Quote:
Wisler is going to be a bench warmer or will be in the bullpen. He needs to prove he is capable of starting games and can pitch well enough to win them.

I was a real Braves fan at one time. The Braves were a respected and reputable baseball club years ago. When the organization abandons the standard of winning and leaves its real fans, it is difficult to recover. "Braves Country" is not what it is.
Then you don't deserve to be a fan if you can't stand by a team while it's going through a rebuild. You obviously don't understand what it takes to run a baseball team and the salary constraints involved in a rebuilding process.

If all you're looking for is winning, go support another team. Those of us that love the Braves are here for the long haul regardless of what product the team puts on the field for some useless rebuilding years.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Then you don't deserve to be a fan if you can't stand by a team while it's going through a rebuild. You obviously don't understand what it takes to run a baseball team and the salary constraints involved in a rebuilding process.

If all you're looking for is winning, go support another team. Those of us that love the Braves are here for the long haul regardless of what product the team puts on the field for some useless rebuilding years.
A baseball team is just like any other professional sports team committed to producing a quality product with a set budget to be a profitable and successful business entity.

Rebuilds do happen when talent transitions from veteran players to younger players. They should be thorough and quick as in about two years. If the team has been playing mediocre and has been bottom dwelling for many seasons, you have a greater issue than a rebuild to worry about.

The Atlanta National League Baseball Club realizes it has lost fans. It has is is working on the opportunity to win them back.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:11 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
The Gwinnett season ends on September 7, so Wisler wouldn't even be in line to pitch one of their 4 remaining games should he be sent down there. As Skeeter said he's here to stay for the season, and so are the other guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball