Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 06:55 PM

623 posts, read 1,543,023 times

Advertisements

Has Shaffer arrived yet? I had high hopes for him last year. Surely he cannot be any worse than McLouth has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:23 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,698 times
Well, it was inevitable but Cox confirms Jones meeting to discuss retirement at the end of the season. I'm getting old, the end of an era after this season.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Scott, I'm a Met fan, but yes, that news confirms I'm with ya on the aging thing. I remember his rookie season, too.

Despite rooting for a different team, I hope he does hang them up. He has lost quite a bit already, and too many others have extended even beyond that point, to the point of becoming below average players. If he chooses 2010 as the end, his span of seasons of diminshed stats will not be terribly long.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Scott, I'm a Met fan, but yes, that news confirms I'm with ya on the aging thing. I remember his rookie season, too.

Despite rooting for a different team, I hope he does hang them up. He has lost quite a bit already, and too many others have extended even beyond that point, to the point of becoming below average players. If he chooses 2010 as the end, his span of seasons of diminshed stats will not be terribly long.
I'm really split on this: On one hand, he made his debut when I was 7 and it'll be sad/strange not to see him in the line-up anymore. On the other hand, he has to leave someday and I read somewhere that if he walks then the Braves will have $26 million to work with (hopefully they can get rid of Kawakami too, we have Medlen). So, the best thing for him to do is walk .

These smiley faces would be Braves fan's reaction in chronological order (especially if things go the right way). [sadness, extreme sadness, realization that being sad is stupid, cool with him being gone, happy that the team's doing fine, happy that we're dominant, ecstatic that we're champs].

I don't really like seeing him under perform either, so, I hope he walks too.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 AM

I knew that Hanson's great against the AL East but the AJC had the stat: 4 wins 0 losses and a 0.75 era (just dominating Boston, NY, Baltimore, and Tampa).

Old 06-17-2010, 09:02 AM

364 posts, read 717,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Well, it was inevitable but Cox confirms Jones meeting to discuss retirement at the end of the season. I'm getting old, the end of an era after this season.
I know right! I was thinking the same thing, I remember when Chipper was in the minors and being excited about him coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

Chipper owned the Mets.....
point blank, period, end of story...
Mets nation will be estatic to see him retire...even if hasn't done anything of note recently.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,023 times
wait Chipper's retiring?? My favorite baseball player is retiring

Well at least he's retiring as one of the greatest switch hitters in baseball

Be nice to see him take up the mantel as Manager for Bobby Cox

Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 PM

Braves beat up on the best team in the league 3-1 to take the series (2/3). Hudson was killing them but Troy had the big hit that Zorbrist couldn't catch (Heyward hit a homerun). Voldude, I really don't think Schafer's doing anything special (on and off I hear). Jazzy Jeff, can you believe that some people are saying that he "may be a 1st ballot hall of famer?" There should be no question about that in my opinion.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,023 times
Same here and sadly i haven't been able to follow the Braves much recently. Been reying on the newspaper just to make sure they are winning and that would be totally awesome if he is.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:43 PM

161 posts, read 581,552 times
I just found this thread! Glad I did.

Go Braves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball