Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 12:04 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I am really surprised at the negative reactions to the Kemp trade. He's being criticized for his lack of mobility in the OF, as well as striking out so much. Please tell me how many power hitting outfielders the Braves have (here's a clue- less than one)? Also, Freeman strikes out more often than Kemp! We have zero power in our outfield, He's hitting 262- better than most Braves- I don't get it. As for subpar defense- we've been playing Garcia, AJ, and Aybar all year- and with the exception of Garcia- these guys stink at the plate as well!! We finally make a move to improve our CURRENT team- instead of more pitching "prospects", and many people seem unhappy about it. Olivera was a woman abuser, and a terrible player as well- please explain the dissatisfaction?!
He's a shell of his former self. He's basically a replacement level player because of his lack of defensive ability. His current WAR is 0.2. Markakis is posting a 0.7. Meaning that in the world of advanced metrics, Neck is a better player currently than Kemp. He's such a defensive liability that his offensive stats mean NOTHING!

It's not that we would rather have Olivera. I'm glad we dumped him. But we could have just DFA'ed him rather than taking on another bloated contract. This is not a good move in the long term.

Also, his OBP is .285!! He's only walked 16 times in over 400 plate appearances!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 12:51 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
He's a shell of his former self. He's basically a replacement level player because of his lack of defensive ability. His current WAR is 0.2. Markakis is posting a 0.7. Meaning that in the world of advanced metrics, Neck is a better player currently than Kemp. He's such a defensive liability that his offensive stats mean NOTHING!

It's not that we would rather have Olivera. I'm glad we dumped him. But we could have just DFA'ed him rather than taking on another bloated contract. This is not a good move in the long term.

Also, his OBP is .285!! He's only walked 16 times in over 400 plate appearances!
I don't think the Braves are in a position to be choosey. Why are we suddenly so concerned with defense- they've been playing AJ, Aybar and Garcia all year! 23 homers doesn't sound like a shell of a player. WAR is a very overrated stat- I'll take the run production over WAR any day. Markakis is a very average player- he only looks better because his teammates are so lousy.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:06 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,099 times
I would agree that WAR is not a statistic that everyone buys into. Dollars aside, I would never take Markakis over Kemp. Markakis isn't exactly much of a defender either.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I would agree that WAR is not a statistic that everyone buys into. Dollars aside, I would never take Markakis over Kemp. Markakis isn't exactly much of a defender either.
Agreed- Markakis has limited range, and limited speed. His arm is pretty accurate, but not strong. Let's hope Kemp is the start of some good things for the Braves- it's been a long dry spell!

Old 08-01-2016, 09:48 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Cervenka has bee solid all season- you'd keep O"Flaherty over him?!!
Allowing four runs in one-third inning is solid?

Old 08-02-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Allowing four runs in one-third inning is solid?
His overall season has been solid. You can find one bad game from even the best player to focus on. He's been one of their best relief pitchers this season.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:26 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,411 times
Quote:
His overall season has been solid. You can find one bad game from even the best player to focus on. He's been one of their best relief pitchers this season.
That's what Carolina Knight does. He looks at things game by game. If someone has an off night, he calls for them to be demoted to A-ball. It's actually quite comical!

Old 08-02-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I hope Cervenka had a bad outing and will not do that again.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
That's what Carolina Knight does. He looks at things game by game. If someone has an off night, he calls for them to be demoted to A-ball. It's actually quite comical!
How about Erick Aybar taking games off by not hitting balls with bats? He was not demoted.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:53 AM

Default Game #106 (2016-08-02 - 19:10): Pittsburgh Pirates @ Atlanta Braves

Pittsburgh Pirates (52-51)
Third, National League Central Division (11.0 games behind Chicago Cubs)
Projected starting pitcher: Gerrit Cole (6-6, 2.78 ERA, 73 K)

Atlanta Braves (37-68)
Fifth, National League East Division (24.0 games behind Washington Nationals)
Projected starting pitcher: Mike Foltynewicz (4-4, 4.30 ERA, 58 K)

The Braves host the Pirates to a three-game series at Turner Field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball