Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-23-2014, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Florida
1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Reputation: 1779

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The Braves lose another game with a 1-0 shutout loss against the Pirates.

With Frank Wren gone, eyes turn to Fredi Gonzalez and his coaching staff.
I read that it will be the new GM's decision about the coaching staff. They did say that Gonzalez has the backing of the triumverate selecting the new GM (Cox, McGuirk, and Schuerholz) and Cox even came out and publicly praised Gonzalez's coaching over the past few seasons.

I hope that the new GM comes in and cleans house. McDowell is the only one that should have a job next season.

And unfortunately, I know we're going to be stuck with BJ for a while, unless we release him ala Uggla and eat the contract. I just can't see us doing that with 2 players. So my guess is BJ will still be a Brave for a few more seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2014, 12:20 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Reputation: 6000
I do not know how soon the Braves intend to have their new general manager hired.

Fredi González's future is the decision of the new general manager. He can stay, but his coaching staff will be different. Batting coach Greg Walker and assistant batting coach Scott Fletcher are likely out of their jobs, and could be terminated next week.

The Braves' payroll will be going up to buyout players, and to sign competent and far better talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Reputation: 21239
Would you Braves people please get your minds off of the future and start concentrating on beating the Pirates these next three games? Giants fans will surely appreciate it. I mean things are already tough enough, tonight SF has to try and beat Zack Greinke who is 4-0 with a 1.38 ERA against the Giants this season, and then on Wednesday they face Kershaw.

C'mon, we need all the help that we can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 03:45 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Reputation: 6000
The Braves should have concentrated on defeating the Pirates and other teams, and making a serious push toward postseason play earlier than now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Currently living in Reddit
5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Reputation: 7323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Would you Braves people please get your minds off of the future and start concentrating on beating the Pirates these next three games? Giants fans will surely appreciate it. I mean things are already tough enough, tonight SF has to try and beat Zack Greinke who is 4-0 with a 1.38 ERA against the Giants this season, and then on Wednesday they face Kershaw.

C'mon, we need all the help that we can get.
Not happening. Expect to visit Pittsburgh in the near future.

Btw, if I were Bochy, I'd be pitching Peavy vs. Bucs, not Bumgarner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 08:43 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Reputation: 6000
Default 2014-09-23: Pittsburgh Pirates 3, Atlanta Braves 2

It is the same story on another night. Too many strikeouts at bat doomed the Braves. The batting issues will be partly resolved when batting coach Greg Walker and assistant batting coach Scott Fletcher are fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Florida
1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Reputation: 1779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I do not know how soon the Braves intend to have their new general manager hired.

Fredi González's future is the decision of the new general manager. He can stay, but his coaching staff will be different. Batting coach Greg Walker and assistant batting coach Scott Fletcher are likely out of their jobs, and could be terminated next week.

The Braves' payroll will be going up to buyout players, and to sign competent and far better talent.
As much as I'd like to see the payroll increase, I don't forsee it happening over the next 2 seasons, until we're in the new stadium. I think we're going to be stuck with the players we have right now and will be mediocre to poor for the next 2 years. Once we move to Cobb County, the ownership might increase the payroll a bit, with the increased revenue and SunTrust Stadium naming deal money.

I think that the GM and Manager will have their hands tied for a few seasons and we'll be stuck with the likes of BJ.

I also have a feeling we're going to keep Hart on as GM for 2 years until John Coppolella is ready to run things once we're in the new stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 08:31 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Reputation: 6000
I have to disagree what you think the Braves will do over the next two years. Going from mediocre to poor, retaining highly paid underperforming players, and standing pat were several reasons why Frank Wren was terminated. I know they will not fill seats in a new stadium with a poor team, and the product on the field needs to be improved with the roster, the coaching staff and the front office.

The Braves are going in the right direction back to the standard and culture of winning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Florida
1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Reputation: 1779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I have to disagree what you think the Braves will do over the next two years. Going from mediocre to poor, retaining highly paid underperforming players, and standing pat were several reasons why Frank Wren was terminated. I know they will not fill seats in a new stadium with a poor team, and the product on the field needs to be improved with the roster, the coaching staff and the front office.

The Braves are going in the right direction back to the standard and culture of winning.
I would love for us to get back to that culture, but I think the new GMs hands are going to be tied, based on how much money Liberty has been making available for the team. We are pretty near our self-imposed salary cap, and we can't just dump salaries, we're stuck paying them.

It's quite like the position the Carolina Panthers have been in since letting Marty Hurney go. He gave out tons of large money contracts, that Dave Gettleman is still having to pay off. They're still paying Jake Delhomme this season!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 09:25 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Reputation: 6000
I would not worry about "hands tied up" or "self imposed salary cap" in 2015. The Braves know they need to increase payroll to improve the product on the field through acquiring better players, and are moving in that direction.

The Panthers have trended upward well after terminated Hurney and bringing in Gettleman. They will dominate the NFC South for several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top