Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 09:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I too hope Olivera works out. It's very difficult to get bats through trades. What the Braves need to do is sign the 2 international prospects coming on 7/2/16 that they have handshake agreements with, groom them as they'll only be 16, and hope they turn into legitimate power threats.

I have a strong feeling we'll draft a pitcher with our regular draft pick in the 1st next year.
I will second the statement it is very difficult to acquire bats through trades. Teams presently in position or nearing position to qualify for postseason play will retain offensive firepower. It is easier to develop batters through the farm to be ready to produce runs in the major leagues. Hitting is an area the Braves have not excelled in recent seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 10:13 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I will second the statement it is very difficult to acquire bats through trades. Teams presently in position or nearing position to qualify for postseason play will retain offensive firepower. It is easier to develop batters through the farm to be ready to produce runs in the major leagues. Hitting is an area the Braves have not excelled in recent seasons.

Historically, the Braves have never been much of an offensive team, outside of the two seasons that Sheffield was in Atlanta and you had Sheffield, Chipper Jones and Andruw Jones leading the way offensively. Outside of those two seasons, I don't remember Atlanta being a fearsome offensive team during my lifetime.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Historically, the Braves have never been much of an offensive team, outside of the two seasons that Sheffield was in Atlanta and you had Sheffield, Chipper Jones and Andruw Jones leading the way offensively. Outside of those two seasons, I don't remember Atlanta being a fearsome offensive team during my lifetime.
I do not think anyone will doubt the Braves have excelled in pitching with Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and John Smoltz. It would be nice to the the Braves' pitching return to that standard.

Good pitching should be accompanied by good hitting. This is where the Braves should be improving in.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I do not think anyone will doubt the Braves have excelled in pitching with Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and John Smoltz. It would be nice to the the Braves' pitching return to that standard.

Good pitching should be accompanied by good hitting. This is where the Braves should be improving in.

I agree. Based on the way the Braves have stockpiled young arms via trade, the good pitching should certainly come unless a large number of their pitching prospects never pan out. The hitting part is definitely further away in Atlanta.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I agree. Based on the way the Braves have stockpiled young arms via trade, the good pitching should certainly come unless a large number of their pitching prospects never pan out. The hitting part is definitely further away in Atlanta.
As hitting was not addressed at the non-waiver trade deadline, it will be the top priority for offseason acquisitions. The Braves will need to buy a hitter in free agency.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
Quote:
As hitting was not addressed at the non-waiver trade deadline, it will be the top priority for offseason acquisitions. The Braves will need to buy a hitter in free agency.
I think we'll definitely go hard after Cespedes. Or look to trade for a cather, like Lucroy. However, I wouldn't be surprised if we only go after some lower level guys and stand pat with mainly what we have, given that 2016 will be another rebuilding year.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I think we'll definitely go hard after Cespedes. Or look to trade for a cather, like Lucroy. However, I wouldn't be surprised if we only go after some lower level guys and stand pat with mainly what we have, given that 2016 will be another rebuilding year.

I sort of think the latter might be the smarter long-term move, unless they truly believe that adding someone like Cespedes would put them over the top (and I don't think it will). Cespedes is a good player and a good hitter but he's about to turn 30, has trouble staying healthy and has never hit 30 homeruns and only knocked in 100 RBIs once. I would pass on him and focus on guys that will be here to help long-term and that fit the long-term vision of the franchise.

Well, that and figure out when is the correct time to trade Markakis for maximum value, as I don't perceive him to be part of the long-term future of this team. My assumption is that he could be fair game to be moved at the deadline next year, though I sort of think that Hart truly signed him to play out the length of his contract.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:20 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
Quote:
I sort of think the latter might be the smarter long-term move, unless they truly believe that adding someone like Cespedes would put them over the top (and I don't think it will). Cespedes is a good player and a good hitter but he's about to turn 30, has trouble staying healthy and has never hit 30 homeruns and only knocked in 100 RBIs once. I would pass on him and focus on guys that will be here to help long-term and that fit the long-term vision of the franchise.

Well, that and figure out when is the correct time to trade Markakis for maximum value, as I don't perceive him to be part of the long-term future of this team. My assumption is that he could be fair game to be moved at the deadline next year, though I sort of think that Hart truly signed him to play out the length of his contract.
I'm not that high on Markakis now, but I still think we should keep him. It would do more harm to this franchise in the long run if we show we're not loyal to any players. This FO signed Markakis, and he knew coming in that this was going to be a rebuilding effort. It would look bad to ALL FA's if we dump him. Shows we have no loyalty to players and why would any FA's want to sign here?

Old 08-03-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not that high on Markakis now, but I still think we should keep him. It would do more harm to this franchise in the long run if we show we're not loyal to any players. This FO signed Markakis, and he knew coming in that this was going to be a rebuilding effort. It would look bad to ALL FA's if we dump him. Shows we have no loyalty to players and why would any FA's want to sign here?

In the end, that is why I figure they will keep him. I am little more of a mercenary and think about the prospects that we might be able to get for him a year down the road. Largely, free agents tend to sign with whatever team offers them the most money, although some will sign for less to stay with their current team.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:25 PM

An article on Talking Chop is confirming the report that the Dodgers are only picking up 500k of Arroyo's contract, including the buyout. The article says the Braves are sending 7.45 million to the Dodgers in December as part of the deal. The math on that really doesn't add up, though, from trying to deduce what Arroyo is owed for the remainder of this season plus his buyout for 2016.

According to the article, the Dodgers are responsible for virtually all of Olivera's signing bonus. Here is the breakdown of what Atlanta is going to owe Olivera:

2015: $2 million (Atlanta owes less than half of this)
2016: $4 million
2017: $6 million
2018: $6.5 million
2019: $7.5 million
2020: $8.5 million

The article also states that if Olivera undergoes Tommy John surgery at any point, a club option for 2021 is added with a value of $1 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball