Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 09:49 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,924 times

Advertisements

So, John Hart has basically stated with the following quote what most attentive Braves fans already knew - that the bats the team needs are not sitting in AA or AAA right now. Hart said: "As we start to retool this offense, this (the Olivera trade) is the first bulding block, I think. Look, we just don't have the upper-level bats that are in the (minor league) system. We're going to have to be creative in how we bring in some of these guys."

Now, Hart's quote basically said that there aren't real difference-making positional players sitting in AA and AAA right now. However, that doesn't mean that there might not be some guys that can come up at some point and fill a bench spot or platoon spot for the long-term.

So, looking at the Braves' positional players in the farm system, who realistically has a chance to come up and join the big-league club long term in 2016 or 2017? I know there aren't many guys. My guess would be: Christian Bethancourt, Mallex Smith, Joey Terdoslavich. Is there really anyone else currently in AA or AAA that has a reasonable shot at joining and sticking with the big league club sometime in 2016 or 2017?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Good beating around the bush with that answer. Avoid the actual item that I brought up and turn it into pseudo-politician speak.

I would rather this rag-tag team tank the rest of the season and secure a Top 5 draft pick. No need for a positive note.

Skeeter, are you looking forward to that top 5 pick being a pitcher or will you be disappointed if John Hart goes that route again? I've read that it is basically a given that John Hart will select a pitcher with the Braves' 1st round pick next year. I am not totally sure how I feel about that, given the organization's needs for high-ceiling positional players.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:04 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Skeeter, are you looking forward to that top 5 pick being a pitcher or will you be disappointed if John Hart goes that route again? I've read that it is basically a given that John Hart will select a pitcher with the Braves' 1st round pick next year. I am not totally sure how I feel about that, given the organization's needs for high-ceiling positional players.
This is a pitching strong draft. We need to draft a pitcher. We have a good abundance of pitchers right now, but no Ace potential. A Top 5 draft pick could get us a future ace. Plus, we're getting 2 BIG bats next 7/2 in the international signing period.

As to who's in the minors that could come up? Bethancourt is done with this team. His demotion was a sign of the end for him. He may be a September call up, but he will be dealt in the offseason. Mallex will make the team at some point, Joey T is not an everyday players. I have high hopes for Albies down in A ball, but he's a few years away. I feel that same way about Davidson down there as well.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
This is a pitching strong draft. We need to draft a pitcher. We have a good abundance of pitchers right now, but no Ace potential. A Top 5 draft pick could get us a future ace. Plus, we're getting 2 BIG bats next 7/2 in the international signing period.

As to who's in the minors that could come up? Bethancourt is done with this team. His demotion was a sign of the end for him. He may be a September call up, but he will be dealt in the offseason. Mallex will make the team at some point, Joey T is not an everyday players. I have high hopes for Albies down in A ball, but he's a few years away. I feel that same way about Davidson down there as well.

Okay. Yes, I am worried that Bethancourt may not even be able to make it as a backup catcher in Atlanta. To me, it seems like he never progressed offensively. In over 2,100 at bats in the minors he has only 97 walks. That is pretty horrendous and it is amazing that they kept promoting him and never addressed his plate discipline issues.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
So, looking at the Braves' positional players in the farm system, who realistically has a chance to come up and join the big-league club long term in 2016 or 2017? I know there aren't many guys. My guess would be: Christian Bethancourt, Mallex Smith, Joey Terdoslavich. Is there really anyone else currently in AA or AAA that has a reasonable shot at joining and sticking with the big league club sometime in 2016 or 2017?
Quote:
Okay. Yes, I am worried that Bethancourt may not even be able to make it as a backup catcher in Atlanta. To me, it seems like he never progressed offensively. In over 2,100 at bats in the minors he has only 97 walks. That is pretty horrendous and it is amazing that they kept promoting him and never addressed his plate discipline issues.
Quote:
Christian Bethancourt's time to prove himself to the Atlanta Braves is dwindling. The Braves could trade him in the offseason. If Bethancourt stays around for the start of the 2016 season, he has to show up and step up to play. If he does not, he gets traded.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Christian Bethancourt's time to prove himself to the Atlanta Braves is dwindling. The Braves could trade him in the offseason. If Bethancourt stays around for the start of the 2016 season, he has to show up and step up to play. If he does not, he gets traded.
I love how you post these "facts" that are little more than common sense, but post them in a way as if to make it seem you are the one making the decisions.

Bethancourt will have little to no trade value for us and will have to be lumped in with other players to get any return.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:36 AM

On a slightly off topic piece of info, I want to congratulate former Brave, Mike Hessman, for breaking the all-time Minor League home run record, by hitting his 433 career home run.

I'm sorry that he never really got a chance in the majors. He obviously has some pop, and could probably be starting for us at 1B right now with Freddie out. Too bad the Tigers have his rights right now.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Okay. How would about let's talk about free agent hitters? If you were the Braves' GM and you could give a single 5 year $100 million dollar contract this offseason to a free agent positional player, rank the following positional players from most attractive to least attractive:

Matt Wieters
Alex Gordon
Yoenis Cespedes
Jason Heyward

Those are the 4 guys that I immediately listed. I think it is possible that at least one of them ends up with a contract worth more than $100 million (considering where baseball contracts are going, it seems logical). I didn't include Justin Upton, as I think it is just a given that he gets well over $100 million or Chris Davis (since we already have Freddie at 1st base).

My thinking:

1. Alex Gordon - I think the most complete hitter/player on that list but KC would be smart to pick up his option and trade him if they cannot afford him long-term.
2. Yoenis Cespedes - Has the most power on the list but low OBP/high strikeouts scare me.
3. Jason Heyward - Still lots of potential but consistency and power just haven't shown up yet.
4. Matt Wieters - Good power at the catcher position but a low BA guy and the NL doesn't have the DH as an option to give him a break from catching while keeping his bat in the lineup.
Why was Heyward traded to the Cardinals? His consistency and power at bat had not shown up for the Braves yet. He is achieving similar results, possibly better as of late, for the Cardinals. Heyward had the opportunity to do more for the Braves, but he did not make the most of it.

The Cardinals needed another hitter with potential after the untimely death of Oscar Taveras. The Braves needed a quality starting pitcher. Heyward for Miller was a fair trade.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I love how you post these "facts" that are little more than common sense, but post them in a way as if to make it seem you are the one making the decisions.

Bethancourt will have little to no trade value for us and will have to be lumped in with other players to get any return.
Bethancourt would be traded for minor leaguers at best.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Why was Heyward traded to the Cardinals? His consistency and power at bat had not shown up for the Braves yet. He is achieving similar results, possibly better as of late, for the Cardinals. Heyward had the opportunity to do more for the Braves, but he did not make the most of it.

The Cardinals needed another hitter with potential after the untimely death of Oscar Taveras. The Braves needed a quality starting pitcher. Heyward for Miller was a fair trade.
Heyward was traded because he was entering his contract year and had an opportunity to bring us back value. There is a very good chance the Braves will look into signing Heyward in the offseason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball