Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2023, 09:37 AM
 
26,226 posts, read 49,079,778 times
Reputation: 31796

Advertisements

Last night I had one of those "never seen THAT before" moment when a pitch hit the ground and got lodged up inside the catcher's chest protector. The catcher tried desperately to find the ball but in a moment or so he found it wedged under his chest protector. The umpire then called a "catcher's balk" and awarded a base to the runner on first who then went to second base. Never seen a catcher's balk before.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2023, 03:42 PM
 
33,315 posts, read 12,559,163 times
Reputation: 14946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Last night I had one of those "never seen THAT before" moment when a pitch hit the ground and got lodged up inside the catcher's chest protector. The catcher tried desperately to find the ball but in a moment or so he found it wedged under his chest protector. The umpire then called a "catcher's balk" and awarded a base to the runner on first who then went to second base. Never seen a catcher's balk before.
Same/me neither.

And that was at least my second first in this series.

Before this series, I'd never seen a successful tag that the only part of 'the uniform' that the tag touched was the batting glove stuffed into the runner's back pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2023, 05:40 PM
 
Location: 215
2,236 posts, read 1,125,225 times
Reputation: 1990
Red october
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2023, 01:21 PM
 
26,226 posts, read 49,079,778 times
Reputation: 31796
Beginning this year the World Series (WS) will NOT be played in the ballpark of a team whose league won the All-Star game. It's more complicated now. Home field advantage in the WS is now based on which team had the best record in the regular season. Oops, both AL teams and the Phillies went 90-72 in the regular season, i.e., a 3-way tie for best regular season record. A tie breaker is needed.

This MLB page explains the tie-breaker rules. Here's the gist of it:

Quote:
1. The team with the higher regular-season win percentage earns gets home field, regardless of whether that team won its division title or a Wild Card berth. That means playing host to Games 1-2 and 6-7 (if necessary).

2. If two teams have the same regular-season win percentage, the tiebreaker is head-to-head record, which is possible now that every team faces every other team in at least one series. That tiebreaker could come into play for two possible 2023 World Series matchups.
If the Phillies want home field advantage for the first two games of the WS, they need the Astros to win the AL Pennant on Monday night; the Phillies took 2 of 3 in Houston in late April. If the Rangers and Phillies advance, the Rangers would get home field advantage as they swept the Phillies in the season-opening series in Texas at the start of the 2023 regular season.

The Astros, they would have home field in the WS for a third consecutive season if the Diamondbacks are able to climb out of their current hole and beat the Phillies in both games 6 and 7.

Now I know why interleague play is 3 games, so that cannot end in a tie.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2023, 02:17 PM
 
17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Reputation: 22936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If the Phillies want home field advantage for the first two games of the WS, they need the Astros to win the AL Pennant on Monday night; the Phillies took 2 of 3 in Houston in late April. If the Rangers and Phillies advance, the Rangers would get home field advantage as they swept the Phillies in the season-opening series in Texas at the start of the 2023 regular season.

The Astros, they would have home field in the WS for a third consecutive season if the Diamondbacks are able to climb out of their current hole and beat the Phillies in both games 6 and 7.

Now I know why interleague play is 3 games, so that cannot end in a tie.

Yeah.. But this kinda sucks, too. I mean, when a series from April determines HFA for the WS..

Not that I have a better suggestion on how to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2023, 03:44 PM
 
33,315 posts, read 12,559,163 times
Reputation: 14946
Wow.

Second inning of Game 6 of the NLCS starts out with two solo home runs (Pham and Gurriel) awalk to Thomas and an RBI double by Longoria to deep l3ft center, and then a runner advancing sacrificeby Perdomo the warning track in right…all off of Nola.

3-0 lead for the D-Backs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2023, 04:14 PM
 
17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Reputation: 22936
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Wow.

Second inning of Game 6 of the NLCS starts out with two solo home runs (Pham and Gurriel) awalk to Thomas and an RBI double by Longoria to deep l3ft center, and then a runner advancing sacrificeby Perdomo the warning track in right…all off of Nola.

3-0 lead for the D-Backs.

All depends on whether you get good Nola or bad Nola on any given day.

Phils have gotten one of the runs back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2023, 05:47 PM
 
33,315 posts, read 12,559,163 times
Reputation: 14946
After multiple sweeps (overall) in previous rounds, it looks like fans might get their 'full money's worth' in the Championship Series round with seven game series in both leagues.

5-1 lead for the D-backs in the top of the 8th in Game 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2023, 06:16 PM
 
33,315 posts, read 12,559,163 times
Reputation: 14946
Television announcers just mentioned that this will only be the fourth time that both league championship series will have gone seven games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2023, 09:51 AM
 
37,315 posts, read 59,911,348 times
Reputation: 25342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Television announcers just mentioned that this will only be the fourth time that both league championship series will have gone seven games.
Seems like there is long enough break before the series that Rangers game Monday and Phillies/D-backs tonight won’t really be that important overall
The pitching will have chance to be rested

Interesting that in last night Rangers-Astros’ blowout that Montgomery went in for bullpen relief—
That was a classy move on his part and great call by BB—gave the Rangers a real cushion and they added some runs
Montgomery is just good in pressure situations—
I don’t know why they make a big deal about starting pitchers/relief pitchers
They all are supposed to be throwing strikes—sometimes I think there is too much strategy and not enough general horse-sense…

But Montgomery will have enough rest he can pitch Game 1
And I just hope they bury Chapman in the bull pen—even with an impressive lead he did hit a batter and gave up a HR—he is worthless—and he knows it—that is is real weakness—no confidence, no cojones
Look at difference between him and Scherzer—Scherzer would have pitched every inning giving it his all if BB had asked him. He is gaining confidence and regaining his technique—will be a better pitcher for Series because of these last two outings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top