Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 09:38 PM

1,366 posts, read 998,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
How about Tampa! Thirteen straight wins.

And it stops there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 09:14 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

52,706 posts, read 47,996,677 times
On the approach to the end of April, we see that the AL Central is so bad. I mean, seriously, the White Sox? 7-20? We see that the best two teams in that league, as of now, are Tampa Bay and Baltimore. We have the Rangers and Astros jockeying for first place in the West.

And just look at the NL. Atlanta and Pittsburgh are your two best teams over there. How about St Louis being eight games back of those same Pirates?? The NL West is not as advertised.

I know we've got five more months, but we do have a few early surprises, alright.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:05 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,561,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
On the approach to the end of April, we see that the AL Central is so bad. I mean, seriously, the White Sox? 7-20? We see that the best two teams in that league, as of now, are Tampa Bay and Baltimore. We have the Rangers and Astros jockeying for first place in the West.

And just look at the NL. Atlanta and Pittsburgh are your two best teams over there. How about St Louis being eight games back of those same Pirates?? The NL West is not as advertised.

I know we've got five more months, but we do have a few early surprises, alright.

It's easy to panic in some places and get excited in others, but as you know, things will change over time. Watch as in a few months, the teams predicted to contend will likely be in their expected spots. Especially as I see the Pirates' surprise as a fluke.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:29 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post

Bawl-mur, hon?

listen.. They're not bad, I see reason for hope for a long suffering fanbase there.. But.. one of the two best teams in baseball right now? I dunno..

Look at who they've played.. And remember your AL Central comment..

2 series against Detroit, 2 against Boston, Nationals, White Sox, A's, Yankees and Rangers.

Take Boston, Texas and the Yankees out of the equation, that's 49-92.. hell, keep them in and it's 81-117.. .409 winning percentage.

They're 6-6 against teams that are over .500 (Boston, Texas and Yankees). 13-3 against others.

You may still be right.. But.. I'm not ready to call them one of the top two teams in the league just yet. Top 10? Sure.

Dodgers and Astros have been a bit slow out of the gate, at least, comparatively to what was expected.., Can they turn it around? Atlanta is outpacing the Mets.. Something I called.. Philly is hanging in there, with Harper perhaps returning in the DH role on Tuesday. We should know the answer to that today. They weren't expecting him back until July.. So, with Hoskins out as well.. This is good news for them.

Pittsburgh would be the surprise team to me.

Old 06-27-2023, 12:51 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,079,778 times
Got a story today from the NY Times about Big Papi (David Ortiz) who was in London for the recent MLB series here there.

While getting into a taxi, outside of his hotel, a $100k diamond necklace around his neck fell off - and yes, fell straight through a grate into the sewer below the street. Ouch. Seems a fellow Dominican working at the hotel was able to remove the grate and fish out the runaway bauble.

Here's the story from an open source.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-03-2023, 01:48 AM

9,765 posts, read 7,485,605 times
Padres, Cards, or Mets. All 3 preseason were virtual locks for the playoffs with the Padres & Mets a hot NLCS matchup, but as we wind into the All Star Break all 3 are either in last or second to last in their division at least 9.5 games back in the division, and all 3 at least 8 back in the Wildcard. I doubt all 3 make the playoffs, probably 2 of the 3 don't make the playoffs, but I think one of these 3 teams can make a strong surge the second half of the season, and sneak in as the second Wildcard team. Maybe it's a Mets team who has started the month of July 2-0 after recording 7 wins in all of June. Maybe it's the Cards who just beat Gerritt Cole to win only their 5th or 6th series of the season. Or maybe just maybe it's a Padres team who has been stuck in neutral all season but ends the first half at home against the Angels and Mets, two playoff hopefuls in the AL & NL respectively and if they can finish with a solid 5-1 hometand that can kick start them. A pro and a con for each with a verdict before I go through my order of most likely to least likely to be playing at least 2 games the first week of October.

Mets:
Pro: Steve Cohen. He has an indispensable amount of wealth and money to throw at problems, and even though the prospect list is thin so to speak he can take on money to alliviate the problem.
Con: Starting pitching. David Pederson has had 2 OK starts since returning to the majors, Max Scherzer has been mostly good, Tylor Megill has had some quality outings, but the rest of the rotation for the most part has been subpar, and they are not going to get anywhere if they can only get quality starts from 1 pitcher.
Verdict: They should sell what they can. Despite reports that talked about dealing Alonso you shouldn't do that, he's the one you build around, but the rest of the team, yes including Verlander and Scherzer (even with complete no trade clauses) should be put on the block. You saw the return the Nats got when they moved Max in 2021, the Mets probably won't get nearly as much, but should still be someone good, and built the rotation around young, controllable arms.

Cardinals:
Pro: The division. If not for their counterparts in the AL, the NL Central would be the worst division in baseball. The Reds had a good month with Elly de la Cruz but that's not a first place team, the Brewers offense is horrific, one of the 5 worst in baseball, the Cubs can't get anyone out, and the Pirates have already started to fade, so the division is keeping the Cardinals afloat. Unlucky for them with the unbalanced schedule they won't see their divisional foes as much as they normally would, but I can't se anyone of the 4 running away. Of the 3 teams the Cards have the worst record, but are the closest to first place in their division because the Reds, Brewers & Pirates (in April & May) let them hang around.
Con: Oli Marmol & Jon Mozeliak. I'm starting to think Paul Goldschmidt & Nolan Arenado both of who had MVP caliber years carried the Cards last year, and they won in spite of Marmol. His warts started to show in the playoffs last year when he left Ryan Helsley out to dry in game 1 when he clearly didn't have it, and has grown exponentially this year. The game ultimately got rained out on Friday, but his (Marmol's) original lineup card had Brandon Donovan in the lead off spot. About an hour later Donovan got scratched, and literally half of his original lineup card got moved around; multiple players changing in the order and multiple players changing defensive positions. Unless you absolutely have no idea what you are doing having one guy scratched shouldn't alter your original lineup that much, and we've reached that point now with Marmol. As for Mozeliak his reliance on having OF's instead of SP's has reared its ugly head. Not counting Matz since he's not in the rotation any longer the Cards have 2 SP's that are under contract for next year (and 1 of them I don't even think is arbitration eligible yet) meanwhile they have more OF's than they have spots on the team for. Also, they have a kid at SS that's ready to play in the majors (Mason Wynn) that can't come up because his position is blocked by Paul DeJong.
Verdict: Trade. At the very minimum you trade DeJong for any SP that you have control of next year, and likewise probably send Tyler O'Neil packing for a SP, but stay status quo for the most part (and that means no Tommy Edman or Dylan Carlson trade). Either Nado, Goldy & Contreras pick it up, Wynn hits at the major league level and with the subpar division they get back in the race, or they continue to be mediocre, miss the playoffs, and Marmol & Mozeliak get fired! Either way is a win!!

Padres:
Pro: The roster. Outside of a couple minor moves (Nelson Cruz & Matt Carpenter in for Wil Myers) this is basically the same group that knocked out the 111 win Dodgers, and made it to the NLCS last year, and is actually an improved roster with Fernando Tatis playing this year and a whole season of Juan Soto.
Con: The farm system. AJ Preller went all in between the winter of 2021 & the summer of 2022 dealing a number of quality prospects the Pads had assembled over the years in an effort to win now which so far hasn't panned out.
Verdict: Stay the status quo. They really don't have much to offer which will get back a good return. With their recent extensions Manny Machado & Tatis are virtually untradeable, Darvish is pretty untradeable. They really only have like 3 pieces to sell: Josh Hader, which will net them their best return especially since relievers are always a hot ticket item in July, Blake Snell or Jake Cronenworth. No one is going to pay top dollar for a #4 or #5 or long relief guy like Snell, and Cronenworth by himself isn't going to net a big return, but packaged with Hader for example could lead to an organizations top 50 prospect. They could always put Juan Soto back on the block if these next 2 weeks go south but their going to get back nowhere near with what they gave up. Likewise, with all their recent moves they don't have a lot to offer other teams in a potential trade to benefit them. So the Pads really can't trade for anyone good and also can't sell anything, so they should just let it ride, and hope the veteran players lead them to a .590 ish winning percentage the second half of the season.

My predictin of most likely to least likely to make the playoffs:
1) Padres
2) Cardinals
3) Mets.

I think the Cards actually have the easiest path, but both them and the Mets have been so inconsistent; they take 1 step forward and than 3 steps backwards. At least the Padres have been consistent for the most part.....they've been consistently bad but at least it's consistent. And I think that team is the least likely to make any major roster moves, so it's on the players themselves to find it, and I think they will.

What does everyone else think??

Old 07-03-2023, 08:43 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
My predictin of most likely to least likely to make the playoffs:
1) Padres
2) Cardinals
3) Mets.

I think the Cards actually have the easiest path, but both them and the Mets have been so inconsistent; they take 1 step forward and than 3 steps backwards. At least the Padres have been consistent for the most part.....they've been consistently bad but at least it's consistent. And I think that team is the least likely to make any major roster moves, so it's on the players themselves to find it, and I think they will.

What does everyone else think??

Mets are done. Over. They're 8 games under 500 and the wildcard this year looks to require about 10 games over.

No coming back for them, they're going to start selling pieces off before the end of the month.

Cards and Padres are in the same boat, but the Cards are slightly different. They've got the Brewers and Reds fighting at the top.. The problem is.. Do the Cards have the talent to come back? Padres.. Sorry.. jumping the Dodgers and Diamondbacks is a no.. And I don't see them going on a long winning streak to compete for a wildcard, either.

The NL Wildcard this year.. People are going to earn that, it appears. It's not going to be one of those "Eh, they were at .500" teams winning the wildcard. Both leagues for that matter. 5 games over .500 gets you a game and a half back in both.

Old 07-07-2023, 04:02 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,561,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Mets are done. Over. They're 8 games under 500 and the wildcard this year looks to require about 10 games over.

No coming back for them, they're going to start selling pieces off before the end of the month.

Cards and Padres are in the same boat, but the Cards are slightly different. They've got the Brewers and Reds fighting at the top.. The problem is.. Do the Cards have the talent to come back? Padres.. Sorry.. jumping the Dodgers and Diamondbacks is a no.. And I don't see them going on a long winning streak to compete for a wildcard, either.

The NL Wildcard this year.. People are going to earn that, it appears. It's not going to be one of those "Eh, they were at .500" teams winning the wildcard. Both leagues for that matter. 5 games over .500 gets you a game and a half back in both.

I'm just gearing up for the Cardinals' draft, but of course, it will be some time before any of that would bear fruit. There is some talent left here, but it looks like we'll be sellers to some contending clubs at the trade deadline. Look for Goldy to be shipped somewhere.

Old 07-07-2023, 08:52 PM

1,119 posts, read 518,038 times
The Pirates, after a promising start, still suck. And water is wet.

But two “peer” (as in: largely mediocre the past few decades and also trash even just the past few years, but still better than the Pirates) franchises are virtual playoff locks: the Orioles and Reds. So kudos to them. They have legitimate young stars that the Pirates just lack. Elly De La Cruz is as sure fire a future hall of famer since I felt about Harper/Trout just over a decade ago, same for Rutschman.

Old 07-09-2023, 11:58 AM

26,226 posts, read 49,079,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
The Pirates, after a promising start, still suck. And water is wet.

But two “peer” (as in: largely mediocre the past few decades and also trash even just the past few years, but still better than the Pirates) franchises are virtual playoff locks: the Orioles and Reds. So kudos to them. They have legitimate young stars that the Pirates just lack. Elly De La Cruz is as sure fire a future hall of famer since I felt about Harper/Trout just over a decade ago, same for Rutschman.
Thank you. As a long-suffering Orioles fan this year is a breath of fresh air. They have the 2nd best record in the AL East, just two games out of first behind Tampa Bay. The old saying is that a team has to play .600 ball to win the AL East, and the O's are at .602 today. Having stayed in the race so far it indicates they should make it to the playoffs.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball