Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 08:14 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,952,269 times

Advertisements

RIP to the San Diego Padres for the next 3 -4 years.

I was rooting for this team whole year. They went 100% in for a championship and can't even play 500 baseball.
San Diego will always be just a playground for the wealthy and not a sports city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 10:16 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post

I was rooting for this team whole year. They went 100% in for a championship and can't even play 500 baseball.
San Diego will always be just a playground for the wealthy and not a sports city.
They should've traded Soto at the deadline. Might have been able to get 3 legit prospects for him. Now, you trade him before the 2024 season not sure you get as much.

Old 08-09-2023, 01:26 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
They should've traded Soto at the deadline. Might have been able to get 3 legit prospects for him. Now, you trade him before the 2024 season not sure you get as much.

I don't know they're done, but they're getting to where they're teetering on the edge.

They pretty much need to win every series from here on out. They have a schedule that's.. Pretty loaded with playoff (or contending) teams from here on out. St Louis, Oakland and the White Sox are the only series they have left against non-contending teams.

Two ways to look at that.. First.. Tougher schedule.. But, second.. Gives them better control of their destiny.

I haven't written them off.. But.. The note is there in pencil at least.

Old 08-13-2023, 02:20 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,479,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I don't know they're done, but they're getting to where they're teetering on the edge.

They pretty much need to win every series from here on out. They have a schedule that's.. Pretty loaded with playoff (or contending) teams from here on out. St Louis, Oakland and the White Sox are the only series they have left against non-contending teams.

Two ways to look at that.. First.. Tougher schedule.. But, second.. Gives them better control of their destiny.

I haven't written them off.. But.. The note is there in pencil at least.
I've written a couple times about the Padres. I would have traded Soto this deadline too. You won't get back all that you gave up, but Soto would still get 1.5 pennant races so probably close to if not what the Nats got back for Scherzer & Turner; a couple of organization's top 10 prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Welp, the mad scientist AJ Preller delivers again. First of all, credit to Joe Musgrove for making this all happen too BTW; He would've easily made a lot more than $100/5 if he hit the open market this winter, but took the hometown discount to better the Pads financially in 2023. So, with that squared away, Monday he swapped out Taylor Rogers and prospects with the Brewers Josh Hader, and then today swooped in on the Nats for Juan Soto and Josh Bell for 5 players, four first round picks.

The problem they have now is that they've thrown their chips all in for a title in 2022/23. Hader & Soto next year will make about $40 million if not closer to $50 million combined in arbitration. Musgrove will be taking home $20 million. I believe Drew Pomeranz is still on the payroll for about $16 or $17 million next year. They have to pay down most of Hosmer's contract in Boston. Machado & Tatis are both big payroll expenses. I know San Diego is a better town now with the only game in town, but that's still a lot of money to pay for about 7 players when you have to fill out a roster of 26. They'll get some relief: like Myers off the book this year for example, and I believe Machado has an opt out after '23 or '24, so that's a potential cost-savings as well. These trades have also completed decimated the farm system, so I guess if it falls flat in '23 or even another second half swoon in '22 they can try to trade these same guys they picked up this week to see if they recoup some lost value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
They need way more then a few pieces to pass the Dodgers for the division Case. On August 2 when they made the Soto trade they were 11.5 games back of the Dodgers, and they finished 22 games behind, so they almost doubled the division deficit in 2 months time after the Soto & Hader trades. The most disappointing in all this Case was they mortgaged the future for the immediate present; 2022, 2023 & 2024, and in the biggest spot of the season they left one of their main trade pieces (Hader) on the bench. Still have no idea how he WASN'T pitching to Harper there in the 8th inning, especially considering he hadn't pitched since Wednesday after he wasn't needed Friday or Saturday. At least he'll be well rested for Spring Training though .

That was the big difference between Melvin & Rob Thompson from the Phillies this series. Thompson didn't give a rats behind about the inning, or the fact there was a potential for 5 games in 5 days....he managed games 3 through 5 like they were game 7. About the only thing he did wrong was bring in Brad Hand in game 4, and even then he was kind of boxed into a corner with that being a bullpen game. Melvin strictly played the old school rules thinking "well I can't use my closer until the 9th inning" nonsense. Well, you have to get to the 9th inning! If Harper hits the bomb off of Hader you tip your cap to a well played series you beat our best. Suarez has been really good no doubt, Hader hadn't been good June through August, but had a strong September, he's got to be out there against Harper. Worry about the 9th inning when you get there. Worry about games 6 & 7 when you get there.

Old 08-18-2023, 12:38 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
My morning email from the NY Times "Athletic" tells me this:

Quote:
A quick status check on our MLB playoff races as we reach Game No. 120:

The AL West is wild. The Rangers, Astros and Mariners are all 7-3 in their last 10. The Rangers and Astros look sure to capture two playoff spots and are within 2 1/2 games of each other for the division title. The Mariners are six games back in the division and 1/2 game back in the Wild Card. Nerves.

The NL Wild Card is a minefield. Six teams — Phillies, Giants, Cubs, Marlins, Reds and Diamondbacks — are clustered in competition for three spots. One bad week could send a team into the desert. The Brewers, bolstered by a refocused Christian Yelich, are just two games up in the NL Central and thus not totally separate from the Wild Card fray.

The Dodgers, meanwhile, have hit the gas. The perennial contenders struggled earlier this year, but are enjoying an 11-game win streak right now. They are 74-46, runaway winners in the NL West and are the second-biggest title favorite behind the juggernaut Braves, per BetMGM odds.
Overall in the A.L. there are five teams in relative wild card contention. September is going to be interesting...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-19-2023, 04:17 PM

Hurricane Hilary off the west coast of Mexico is expected to make a mess of SOCAL this weekend.

Accordingly, today there will be three double-headers in lieu of playing Sunday games that would surely be rained out. Sunday's games are already listed as postponed on the MLB website.

Todays double-headers are:
- Miami Marlins will play two games vs the Dodgers in L.A.
- AZ Diamondbacks will play two games vs the Padres in San Diego
- Tampa Bay Rays will play two games vs the Angels in Anaheim

Oriole games in Oakland are not affected.

One concern is hillside erosion and mudslides seen often when heavy rains hit the L.A. area. I'm hoping for the best.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:36 AM

My morning email from the NY Times Athletic has some insights about what aspects of the game that MLB players consider meaningful.

Quote:
Stephen Nesbitt has a great story today on what MLB players actually value in their careers. Most care little about their final WAR or xFIP. It’s about career accomplishments, and not the ones you’d think, either. I grabbed a few interesting ones:

- Eight years of service: When a player reaches the threshold, he receives a literal gold card, which grants him and a guest free entry to any regular-season MLB game for life. I want to go to a game with a gold-card guy now.

- 160 games: Players call this “posting,” shorthand for posting up every day. It’s a feat of durability, highly valued among players. Just eight reached the 160-game mark last year.

- 100 strikeouts: This is only for relievers, and it’s a mark few reach every year. The life of an MLB relief pitcher can be stressful. Pressure abounds on every pitch. You are extremely replaceable. To reach 100 strikeouts signals a longevity and mental fortitude rare in the game.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My morning email from the NY Times Athletic has some insights about what aspects of the game that MLB players consider meaningful.

- 160 games: Players call this “posting,” shorthand for posting up every day. It’s a feat of durability, highly valued among players. Just eight reached the 160-game mark last year.

I'm actually surprised it was that high.

Old 08-31-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm actually surprised it was that high.
Me too. It's a long season and it seems like a grind to play 6 games a week, sometimes more when make-up games cause double-headers. Safe to say Cal Ripken's Iron Man status looks permanent.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Me too. It's a long season and it seems like a grind to play 6 games a week, sometimes more when make-up games cause double-headers. Safe to say Cal Ripken's Iron Man status looks permanent.

That's probably the one record that anyone could beat that no one will beat.

You don't have to play a specific position (Well, pitchers are likely DQed).. You don't have to be powerful, you don't have to be fast.

But, you have to be rugged. You have to be good enough. You can't have many slumps. You have to have a manager who won't make a change. You've got to START it with the start of your career.

So many things have to go right. Many people forget, but Cal had a very impressive consecutive innings streak early on. His dad actually ended that one while he was managing the O's. 8243 consecutive innings up until 1987. That was.. Pulling him from that game an stopping that streak had a whole lot of O's fans upset because they thought his dad would end THE Streak.

That's treated as a record as well, though.. Records are a bit shifty on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball