Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 12:21 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,027,375 times

Advertisements

Yankees got a notable boost this past week from two September call-ups; Jasson Dominguez (OF) and Austin Wells (C).

In the Yankees' sweep of Houston this past weekend, Dominguez, in his first MLB at-bat, hit a home run off Justin Verlander and hit another HR the next day. Jasson is built like a fireplug.

Wells played catcher all three of those games to give Carlos Rodon a break.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 03:12 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,943,222 times
Aaaaaaaand........ the race to watch is still the AL West. You have the Astros, Rangers, and Mariners duking it out for September. This is the race to be watching right now in baseball. It's providing a lot of drama that many baseball fans want to see. It's also the tightest September race the Astros have been involved in in a long time, after mostly having dominated the division for five of the last six years. So, let's see what transpires from this threesome, and what this round of the division hokey-pokey is going to dish out.

And Verlander vs Scherzer on Wednesday will be worth the price of admission.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:57 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Aaaaaaaand........ the race to watch is still the AL West. You have the Astros, Rangers, and Mariners duking it out for September. This is the race to be watching right now in baseball. It's providing a lot of drama that many baseball fans want to see. It's also the tightest September race the Astros have been involved in in a long time, after mostly having dominated the division for five of the last six years. So, let's see what transpires from this threesome, and what this round of the division hokey-pokey is going to dish out.

And Verlander vs Scherzer on Wednesday will be worth the price of admission.

I dunno.. After Sunday night, I believe there were 4 teams tied for the final WC in the NL. If it holds this close there.. That's gonna be pretty exciting.

The AL West.. All three of those teams are currently in the playoffs.

The AL basically has 4 teams competing for 3 spots..

The NL has 4 teams competing for the final spot..

And.. no one really seems to want to win it. Giants have lost 4 in a row to fall out of the lead, Miami has won 4 in a row to jump back into the mix.. None of them have a positive run differential and all of them are at or just below .500 in their last 10 games.

If I had to guess.. I'd lean to Cincy taking it.. And that's just based on schedule. I think they have the easiest.. If we assume Chicago and Philly will take the first two WCs..

Arizona has 2 games vs Colorado, 7 vs the Cubs, 4 against the Mets, 2 against the Giants, and 3 each against the Yankees, White Sox and Astros. So.. 12 out of 24 games against potential playoff teams

Miami.. Lord. They have it the worst, I think. 3 against the Dodgers, 3 vs Philly, 7 vs Milwaukee, 3 vs Atlanta, 6 against the Mets and 3 against the Pirates. That's 16 of 25 against playoff teams.

Giants.. not bad, but for one thing.. 2 games against the Cubs, 7 against Colorado, 3 against Cleveland, 2 against Arizona, 7 against the Dodgers and 3 against the Padres. That's only 11 games vs playoff teams, but.. 7 of them against the Dodgers..

Reds.. They have the best schedule to win it, I think. 2 vs Seattle, 6 vs the Cards, 3 vs the Tigers, 3 vs the Mets, 3 vs Twins, 3 against Pittsburgh and 2 against Cleveland. So.. only 5 games against playoff competing teams.

Can you imagine a 4 way tie for the final WC after 162 games? I know there's no more one game playoffs, so.. Someone's gonna be ticked. I don't even want to try to look at it to see who would get that final spot.

Old 09-05-2023, 04:30 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,943,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

First off, Labonte, I definitely agree with that NL Wild Card race, and that's going to be fun to watch play out. Some great storylines for that. I'm privately pulling for Arizona only because they haven't won anything in a while.

Regarding the AL West, yes, they're all currently in the playoffs, but what if Texas collapses? What I'll be most interested in is, which team gets the top spot for the division because that winner, as you know, will get a bye in the Wild Card series. If my Astros take care of business with both pitching and offense as they're supposed to, then they'll be right there.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:05 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I dunno.. After Sunday night, I believe there were 4 teams tied for the final WC in the NL. If it holds this close there.. That's gonna be pretty exciting.

The AL basically has 4 teams competing for 3 spots..

The NL has 4 teams competing for the final spot..

And.. no one really seems to want to win it. Giants have lost 4 in a row to fall out of the lead, Miami has won 4 in a row to jump back into the mix.. None of them have a positive run differential and all of them are at or just below .500 in their last 10 games.

If I had to guess.. I'd lean to Cincy taking it.. And that's just based on schedule. I think they have the easiest.. If we assume Chicago and Philly will take the first two WCs..

Arizona has 2 games vs Colorado, 7 vs the Cubs, 4 against the Mets, 2 against the Giants, and 3 each against the Yankees, White Sox and Astros. So.. 12 out of 24 games against potential playoff teams

Miami.. Lord. They have it the worst, I think. 3 against the Dodgers, 3 vs Philly, 7 vs Milwaukee, 3 vs Atlanta, 6 against the Mets and 3 against the Pirates. That's 16 of 25 against playoff teams.

Giants.. not bad, but for one thing.. 2 games against the Cubs, 7 against Colorado, 3 against Cleveland, 2 against Arizona, 7 against the Dodgers and 3 against the Padres. That's only 11 games vs playoff teams, but.. 7 of them against the Dodgers..

Reds.. They have the best schedule to win it, I think. 2 vs Seattle, 6 vs the Cards, 3 vs the Tigers, 3 vs the Mets, 3 vs Twins, 3 against Pittsburgh and 2 against Cleveland. So.. only 5 games against playoff competing teams.

Can you imagine a 4 way tie for the final WC after 162 games? I know there's no more one game playoffs, so.. Someone's gonna be ticked. I don't even want to try to look at it to see who would get that final spot.

There is one 'no games scheduled' day after the end of the regular season....perhaps intended for travel ?

Old 09-05-2023, 11:34 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,511,334 times
With all of Tuesday 9/5's games having now ended.....if the regular season ended right now (yeah I know, pretty much can't end with half game differences).......the Rangers would miss the playoffs.

The Rangers are a half a game behind the Blue Jays for the third Wild Card in the AL.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:57 PM

9,754 posts, read 7,465,729 times
Blue Jays have had a layup line the last 2 weeks: Cleveland (who they lost 2 of 3 to though), Washington, Colorado, Oakland & Kansas City. They also (after Wednesdays game ends) only have 6 more road games compared to 16 home games the rest of the way which is got to be one of the biggest home games to road games differences left not only among playoff contenders but in the entire league (I'll quote this with a post of how many games each team has home vs. road among playoff teams [teams within 5 games of a playoff spot] and see who has the biggest difference). The only downside to the Jays going forward is after the Texas series ends next Thursday they have nothing but divisional opponents the rest of the season and they have done horrible against teams from the AL east this year I believe have only won 1 series and have something like 13 or 14 wins against the Rays, Yankees, Sox & Orioles. I think when it's all said & done the 4 games in Toronto next week will decide the final spot. if the Jays can win the series or even split (since they should be ahead once the series starts) they'll get in and one of the AL West 3 get left out; If the Rangers win the series I think the Blue Jays end up getting left out.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:32 AM

9,754 posts, read 7,465,729 times
And here's the remaining schedules; home first vs. road (Note I'm just using games from this weekend [Thursday] on, so games on Wednesday won't count, and won't count if Thursday is the last game of that series but WILL count if Thursday is the opening game of the series)

Braves (12 home vs. 11 road [including a double header]). Last 6 and 9 of last 13 are in Atlanta)
Brewers (13 home vs. 10 road)
Dodgers (10 home vs. 13 road [including a double header])
Phillies (14 home [including a double header] vs. 9 road). Last 10 games and 13 of last 16 are against teams under .500.
Cubs (10 home vs. 12 road). Last 6 games are against division leaders.
Reds (9 home vs. 11 road). Have one of the smallest amount of games left, but probably one of the easiest schedules; of their remaining 20 games (after Wednesday) only 3 come against teams that currently have a winning record
Miami (9 home games vs. 13 road games). All 9 home games come in one 3 series stretch the middle of the month and they are currently on a stretch of playing 11 of 14 on the road which leads into that 3 series home stretch.
Arizona (8 home games vs. 14 road games). They have to make back to back trips to New York this month.
Giants (12 home games vs. 10 road games). The opposite of the Marlins; all 10 road game occur in one 3 series road trip the middle of the month; a 2 game series in Arizona sandwiched around two 4 game series in Colorado & LA each.
Baltimore (13 home games vs. 10 road games). May have the most remaining games. After a day off Thursday they'll only have 1 more remaining off day the rest of the season.
Minnesota (12 home vs. 10 road). Final 9 and 13 of the last 16 against sub .500 opposition.
Houston (12 home games vs. 9 road games). After today's game they'll start a stretch of 12 of 15 against sub .500 teams heading into the final week.
Tampa (10 home vs. 12 road). Only 3 of the remaining 22 games against clubs under .500 but the Red Sox may be there once the last week rolls around.
Mariners (13 home vs. 10 road). 13 of the final 16 games against teams over .500 including the last 10 against the Astros & Rangers.
Blue Jays (16 home vs. 6 road). After the Royals leave town on Sunday evening their last 19 games will all be against winning clubs though 13 of those 19 will be at Rogers Centre.
Rangers (9 home vs. 14 road).
Boston (12 home vs. 10 road).

Old 09-06-2023, 10:26 AM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
There is one 'no games scheduled' day after the end of the regular season....perhaps intended for travel ?

Yes. There are no more one game playoffs. These are the new rules

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules

Basically, it's head to head.. https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules

And, there are further tiebreakers. To figure it out for 4 teams that are tied.. Ouch.

I *THINK* that basically says, if there are more than 2 teams tied, and there's no consensus winner.. Meaning.. You have teams W, X, Y and Z.. And no one team has a better record against all three of the others. You basically add up all the wins and losses for team W against X, Y and Z, and the same for the other teams, and whoever has the highest win percentage is in.

If, after that, you still have multiple teams tied.. Move on to the interdivisional records with just those teams.

Old 09-07-2023, 12:44 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,027,375 times
7express, thanks for that list. If Baltimore gets the bye in the AL they can get some days off that way, but a lot can happen between now and the end of the regular season.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball