Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 05:09 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho Relaxo View Post
Have any of you seen a post season MLB game so poorly attended as this Rays game?

I don't know if I've ever seen one that didn't sell out, much less much lower than capacity attended.

What is that about?
I guess you don't see many Rays postseason home games.

Back in 2021, Game 1 of the ALDS, Red Sox vs. Rays in the Trop, they had 27,419, Game 2 they did much better, 37,616!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 06:21 PM

55 posts, read 42,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I guess you don't see many Rays postseason home games.

Back in 2021, Game 1 of the ALDS, Red Sox vs. Rays in the Trop, they had 27,419, Game 2 they did much better, 37,616!
They said 19k today. Oof.

Still rather them than NY or BOS!

Old 10-03-2023, 06:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
The stadium is sad and not in good location
They are planning a new one in St Pete—not Tampa

And FL is not really a baseball state—
Football thanks to the college teams seems lot stronger pull

Old 10-04-2023, 09:57 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho Relaxo View Post
Have any of you seen a post season MLB game so poorly attended as this Rays game?

I don't know if I've ever seen one that didn't sell out, much less much lower than capacity attended.

What is that about?

The answer to that question is apparently.. No.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...04-lowest-1919

Lowest attendance for a postseason game since 1919, not counting the pandemic year.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The answer to that question is apparently.. No.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...04-lowest-1919

Lowest attendance for a postseason game since 1919, not counting the pandemic year.
The sad part is that year after year, the Tampa Bay organization supports a great farm system, drafts well, manages to do more with less $$ invested in its team and yet reaps horrible fan support
They plan to build a new stadium but even that I don’t think will make enough of a difference
People just aren’t attuned to baseball
You can see it in the t-ball and youth leagues—
It is just not that popular

If this organization was in town like Chicago with the Cubs fan base or NY with the Yankees or even someplace like Denver or Pittsburg, they would sell out every game—
The organization is great—the owner, not so much… which is another dichotomy

Old 10-04-2023, 03:27 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The sad part is that year after year, the Tampa Bay organization supports a great farm system, drafts well, manages to do more with less $$ invested in its team and yet reaps horrible fan support
They plan to build a new stadium but even that I don’t think will make enough of a difference
People just aren’t attuned to baseball
You can see it in the t-ball and youth leagues—
It is just not that popular

If this organization was in town like Chicago with the Cubs fan base or NY with the Yankees or even someplace like Denver or Pittsburg, they would sell out every game—
The organization is great—the owner, not so much… which is another dichotomy

I'm not familiar with the area, but I've heard the stories that the stadium is in the completely wrong spot.. and everyone seems to think, if you fix that, you fix the attendance problem.. But.. I'm with you.. I'm not sold on that idea.

I'll just be glad to be rid of the catwalks. That and the Astrodome are the two stadiums that I can remember where you had issues with batted balls hitting parts of the stadium that are 'in play'. At least, I hope we'll be rid of them. Whoever designs the new stadium needs to make sure those won't be a problem in it.

That organization turned things around in 2008. They were pure trash before that. and, the cutoff is basically the dropping of "Devil" from the name. The Devil Rays never won more than 70 games. The Rays only won less than that once, not counting 2020.

Old 10-04-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm not familiar with the area, but I've heard the stories that the stadium is in the completely wrong spot.. and everyone seems to think, if you fix that, you fix the attendance problem.. But.. I'm with you.. I'm not sold on that idea.

I'll just be glad to be rid of the catwalks. That and the Astrodome are the two stadiums that I can remember where you had issues with batted balls hitting parts of the stadium that are 'in play'. At least, I hope we'll be rid of them. Whoever designs the new stadium needs to make sure those won't be a problem in it.

That organization turned things around in 2008. They were pure trash before that. and, the cutoff is basically the dropping of "Devil" from the name. The Devil Rays never won more than 70 games. The Rays only won less than that once, not counting 2020.
Yes—any architect who would design a covered baseball stadium where the roof’s interior is same color as a baseball is clueless—simply clueless—about the game

And the owner Silverman would probably say that 2008 was when he really took control of the team
Although he is about to lose it — maybe—

What the Rays should consider doing is making deals with tour companies and selling groups on the idea of using luxury coaches for transport back and forth to the games—
They would have to lower the ticket costs to cover the transportation factor but getting people INTO the park would mean vendor sales would go up
Alcohol consumption would be an issue but Tampa residents love to party and in the summer people come from all over—they should work with teams they play to help sell tickets to their fans in the area

Driving to the Rays’ field is a thankless task because of how the Bay Area complicates traffic patterns
Their new field is supposed to include retail space, affordable housing in the area, and other entertainment options—like the Rangers used when they did the first revamp of Ranger Stadium in Arlington
Now in its second iteration it also has the Cowboy stadium with it all-season usage as concert facility to bolster its fan base

And personally I fear for any input the former TX Ranger GM Jon Danials might have since he has been given a job with the Rays by a Ray exec who is supposedly a close personal friend—
I forgot the name (if I knew it) just something I read posted on a Dallas board
But Daniels was the most overrated GM in baseball and took none of the blame for Rangers’ failures when he pretty much ruined the team…
And he is the kind of suck-up that will weasel his way to the top over the bodies of those he backstabbed…

Last edited by loves2read; 10-04-2023 at 07:15 PM..

Old 10-04-2023, 07:23 PM

Rangers go to Baltimore next—
And will be great series if they both play to their strengths—
Rangers have probably better hitters (if they will hit) but Baltimore’s pitching especially its bullpen is better than Rangers’ so hopefully that will make for a great series….
Might even see it go to the wire

Old 10-19-2023, 05:35 PM

Game 4 ALCS tonight at Rangers’ stadium
If Rangers lose tonight we think they are down for the count
The Astros have had their way with them this season—
Hope Chapman stays in the bull pen

Old 10-19-2023, 07:50 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

52,706 posts, read 48,001,428 times
At Chase Field: The Diamondbacks had a walk-off single in a close shave over Philly, 2-1. That's also the margin of lead for the Phillies, who still lead the NLCS two games to one.

At Globe Life Field: The Astros have stormed back in the 4th with a 3-run homer by Jose Abreu, and Houston now has a 7-3 lead against the Rangers in Game 4 of the ALCS.

Stay tuned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball