Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 06:53 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

Alright, gang, pitchers and catchers are about to report to Spring Training 2023 in Arizona and Florida, so a new season is practically upon us.

In last year's predictions for MLB, I accurately predicted two division finishes (the AL West and the NL East), one pennant (AL) and the World Series winner (Astros). Lots of excitement took place in '22, and we should expect a lot more of the same in '23. There will be some new rules, most notably the pitch clock and the no-shift infield. Teams will have some new players, some more than others. This will be a fun year to come!

New thread, so please remember the C-D TOS and keep this rascal on topic. Looking forward to a great year with our great posters and with baseball!

So, let 'er rip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 03:19 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Lost Tim McCarver today. I know some didn't really care for him.. But I always enjoyed his calls.

Old 02-16-2023, 03:25 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Lost Tim McCarver today. I know some didn't really care for him.. But I always enjoyed his calls.
I liked McCarver. I always remember his commentary in the 1986 NLCS between the Mets and the Astros. He had a knack for predicting what would happen, similar to Tony Romo.

Old 02-17-2023, 12:12 PM

Machado says he will opt out of his contract after this year.

Hmmm.. He SHOULD come out ahead.

But.. Is he going to demand another 10 year contract? That'd basically be for his age 30-41 seasons..

That's going to have a whole lot more risk for a team that would sign him..

What's your take? Would you sign him to a 10 year deal next year at the money he'll likely be demanding?

Old 02-24-2023, 05:50 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
McCarver was second to none as an analyst. And funny and human.

Old 02-24-2023, 03:45 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
At long last, spring games are going on now. Worth the wait. Let's see where these clubs will be going this season.

Predictions forthcoming.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
At long last, spring games are going on now. Worth the wait. Let's see where these clubs will be going this season.

Predictions forthcoming.

I'll be interested to hear predictions for the East in both the AL and NL

I think, most other divisions are.. Fairly solid on who is going to win them.

The NL East and AL East.. Seem to be total crap shoots with the NL East having 3 teams with a legit shot and.. About the same in the AL. If the Yankees hadn't gotten out to such an early lead last year.. That would have likely been a tight finish.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:18 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
I'll have predictions later on in March. Seems to me, the only sure fire division winner, you can pen it in right now, are the Cardinals in the NL Central because the Reds, Cubs & Pirates are still rebuilding, and the Brewers subtracted way more than they added. AL East will be a 4 or even 5 team race that can come down to the wire, AL Central has 2 or 3 strong teams you can't count out, Phillies-Mets-Braves will finish 1-2-3 in some order, but the order is still to be determined. AL West still looks like Houston, but Texas, Seattle and the Rangers all are making headway, and the NL West looks like a 2 team race between the Padres & Dodgers.

Old 03-02-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'll have predictions later on in March. Seems to me, the only sure fire division winner, you can pen it in right now, are the Cardinals in the NL Central because the Reds, Cubs & Pirates are still rebuilding, and the Brewers subtracted way more than they added. AL East will be a 4 or even 5 team race that can come down to the wire, AL Central has 2 or 3 strong teams you can't count out, Phillies-Mets-Braves will finish 1-2-3 in some order, but the order is still to be determined. AL West still looks like Houston, but Texas, Seattle and the Rangers all are making headway, and the NL West looks like a 2 team race between the Padres & Dodgers.

Cards have lost quite a bit, too.. So.. While I agree.. I expect it to be the Cardinals.. I wouldn't put big money on it.

Old 03-05-2023, 11:36 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
WBC returns for the first time since 2017. I'll make predictions for how the WBC plays out.

Pool A:
Cuba
Panama
Chinese Taipei
Netherlands
Italy.
The games are in the Chinese Taipei, but I like Cuba & Panama more than Chinese Taipei. I'll pick the Netherlands to edge out the Italians for 4th; more MLB experience, but both will be heading back home early.

Pool B:
Japan
South Korea
Australia
Czech Republic
China.
Pretty easy run down. China is easily the worst team in the group, Australia and the Czechs could flip flop 3 & 4, but I think the Aussies have better players, and this is the Czech's first rodeo into the WBC. Japan better roster than the Koreans, and are playing at home in Tokyo, so they should edge out the Koreans for top spot.

Pool C:
United States
Colombia
Mexico
Canada
Great Britain.
Pretty balanced group. Great Britain and Canada aren't bad teams at all, but with the top 3 of Mexico, US & Colombia, they don't stand a chance at progressing. US is one of the favorites to win the whole thing, they'll top the group, while Colombia beats Mexico to finish in second.

Pool D:
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico
Venezuela
Nicaragua
Israel.
DR, Venezuela, and Puerto Rico will all be really fun games to watch. Like pool C, Nicaragua and Israel really aren't bad teams, but in this group they really don't have a chance at advancing. DR, like the US is one of the favorites and should top the group while I have Puerto Rico beating Venezuela to advance as the second place team.

Quarterfinals:
South Korea over Cuba. A mild upset in Tokyo, as I will take the pitching of the Korean's over the offense of the Cubans.
Japan over Panama. Japanese in Tokyo should take care of the Panamanians in the semifinal.
US over Puerto Rico. This is one I went back and forth on, so close I went to a best out of 3 coin flip which the US won. Pitching of the US will win out.
DR over Colombia. DR will pull away from the Colombians late.

Semifinals:
US over South Korea. Korean's pulled one upset, having to travel halfway around the world for the semifinals, and against the US, they won't get so lucky here.
DR over Japan. DR's overall talent which almost the entire roster playing in the major leagues should win out.

Final:
DR over US. Like the US vs. Puerto Rico, I went back and forth on this to a coin flip, and the DR won the coin flip. Liked the DR a lot better before I heard the news of Vladdy Jr opting out with a knee injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball