Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 04:37 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Players are paid for what they are, at the moment, in FA. It's risky, but I doubt teams expect all sensational years, and to get the best ones, the lesser ones are part of the equation.

I prefer personally the Braves model (despite being a mEt fan) of signing kids well before FA. The team pays move in pre FA years, but gets them for less in their first several post FA years.

Only the team drafting them, though, is apt to be able to do that (Unless the player was traded while under control pre FA).

Obviously.. and I understand, no one can see the future. But.. They can see the past. And the past says.. There's not apt to be a whole lot of 39 year old SPs who would be worth upwards of $30 million a year. And not a whole lot of batters, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I don’t think using him as a relief pitcher would work. Can’t exactly have him in the bullpen warming up if his turn in the batting order is coming up.
A good point. so.. look at it from this standpoint. He blows his arm out and flat out can't pitch anymore.

Is he, as a hitter, worth $50m a year?

What if his injury not only takes him out of being a pitcher, but a batter as well?

I just.. Can't see anything other than making him a fair offer as an excellent batter/fielder..

Then making it an incentive heavy contract so far as bonuses based on pitching metrics.

That way, you have protection, at least on one side of things.It's most likely that any injury situation affects him as a pitcher, as I've mentioned before. If he can do it.. Great, he hits the metrics and gets paid for it. But.. if he doesn't. You're not just out salary based on that.

I'm not even certain a contract can fully be structured that way under the rules.. So.. There's also that.

If someone has a $20/million contract, but bonuses/incentives can push it up to $30/million.. How is that calculated against the cap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 06:43 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You're basically stating my point here. I can't see him being an elite pitcher much longer, at least as a starter.

You have an excellent idea. Shift him to be a closer, or even a setup man. Something where he's pitching one inning a night, perhaps.

Otherwise, you're going to be paying for 2 great players, and, at least at the end of the contract, you might only have half a great player.

How would you like to have TWO Strasburg contracts on the books? And both of them the same player.

If it works, he stays healthy(Which he hasn't) and doesn't decline like.. Most players do, especially pitchers.. Everything's OK. What happens when it doesn't? remember.. He's 31. How did that Pujols contract work out? I mean, he was decent through most of it, but.. They paid him for what he was. They didn't get that.

A closer might work 60 innings a year. A starting pitcher 3 times that. I see him as a closer because there is more prestige in that. But he is such a great hitter. Who knows how great if he devoted 100% to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball