Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 02:25 PM

17,690 posts, read 15,397,379 times

Advertisements

Seems Kimbrel just signed somewhere. Philly posted a "Thank You" on Facebook.

Looks like he's headed to Baltimore.

Much like Nola.. When he's good he's good.. When he's not is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 08:03 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,712,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Seems Kimbrel just signed somewhere. Philly posted a "Thank You" on Facebook.

Looks like he's headed to Baltimore.

Much like Nola.. When he's good he's good.. When he's not is the problem.
Surprised he got 13m. I would've thought he might get something around 8m with some incentives. Orioles actually spent $ on a reliever and they pay that much.

Old 12-07-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Surprised he got 13m. I would've thought he might get something around 8m with some incentives. Orioles actually spent $ on a reliever and they pay that much.

Technically, it's a 2 year contract. $12M in 2024 and a $13M club option in 2025 with a $1M buyout

So.. You're not WRONG about it being $13M, but it is a bit more nuanced.

I agree that it's probably overpaying. He had a DECENT year with Philly, but.. He'll be 36. He got $10M last year, so.. Yeah.. Your valuation of $8M seems pretty right.

I dunno.. I think he still has some gas left as far as a setup man, but it looks like Baltimore is planning on his as the full time closer.. And.. That should make Baltimore fans nervous.

Baseball Reference projects him to be about 5-5 with 15 saves in 65 innings next year. And, I can see that. I can't see that being worth $12M

Old 12-07-2023, 05:38 PM

34,142 posts, read 17,210,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Still no decision by Shohei Otani on where he'll play in 2024. Experts say that once he chooses a team that a flurry of trades will probably follow. At the Winter Meetings, Dave Roberts of the Dodgers was quoted saying: “Clearly, Shohei is our top priority...”

One trade announced saw the Red Sox trade OF Alex Verdugo to the NYY for 3 pitching prospects. It’s just the 7th deal between these bitter rivals since 1972.

The MLB Winter Meeting of GMs is being held at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, I've stayed there. it's a horrendously overpriced clip joint that holds you hostage as there's nothing around it, you spend a fortune there for everything and if you want to retrieve your car from their 'valet' service it's $24 every time you want to drive off the property.
I did prefer the way Opryland was before the flood required renovations.

Old 12-08-2023, 10:55 AM

26,269 posts, read 49,183,727 times
The Athletic reports one major deal that has come out of the 2024 MLB Winter Meetings:

Quote:
Shohei Ohtani still hasn’t signed.

But while it might have been a relatively low-tempo summit this year, it finished with a bang: the Yankees and Padres finally consummated the trade that will send Juan Soto to the Bronx.

The full package goes like this:

Yankees get: OF Juan Soto, OF Trent Grisham
Padres get: RHPs Michael King, Drew Thorpe, Randy Vásquez, Jhony Brito and C Kyle Higashioka
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-08-2023, 03:58 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,712,366 times
Quote:
Technically, it's a 2 year contract. $12M in 2024 and a $13M club option in 2025 with a $1M buyout

So.. You're not WRONG about it being $13M, but it is a bit more nuanced.

I agree that it's probably overpaying. He had a DECENT year with Philly, but.. He'll be 36. He got $10M last year, so.. Yeah.. Your valuation of $8M seems pretty right.

I dunno.. I think he still has some gas left as far as a setup man, but it looks like Baltimore is planning on his as the full time closer.. And.. That should make Baltimore fans nervous.

Baseball Reference projects him to be about 5-5 with 15 saves in 65 innings next year. And, I can see that. I can't see that being worth $12M
thanks for the info. wasn't aware of that!

Old 12-09-2023, 01:59 PM

33,329 posts, read 12,634,208 times
Just heard on TV........labeled 'breaking news'......Ohtani signs with the Dodgers.....10 yrs --$700 million.

Old 12-09-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Just heard on TV........labeled 'breaking news'......Ohtani signs with the Dodgers.....10 yrs --$700 million.

Best of luck. I'm glad the Phillies weren't in the mix.

look.. he's the single most amazing ballplayer that we've seen in history. I don't think you can argue that.

But.. Is he worth $70 million a year as a hitter alone? Because that's what he's being paid for next year.

He's had his second Tommy John. Some people don't even come back from the first. Look at Syndergaard

While, as a fan.. I want to see Ohtani continue to be incredible. From an executives eyes.. Putting that much money into one player who.. May not be able to do half of what he did before.. Too rich for my blood.

Old 12-09-2023, 06:07 PM

33,329 posts, read 12,634,208 times
Quote:
Best of luck. I'm glad the Phillies weren't in the mix.

look.. he's the single most amazing ballplayer that we've seen in history. I don't think you can argue that.

But.. Is he worth $70 million a year as a hitter alone? Because that's what he's being paid for next year.

He's had his second Tommy John. Some people don't even come back from the first. Look at Syndergaard

While, as a fan.. I want to see Ohtani continue to be incredible. From an executives eyes.. Putting that much money into one player who.. May not be able to do half of what he did before.. Too rich for my blood.

I had the TV on in the background on a non sports channel and they broke in to announce it, and I posted right after to this thread, and the Dodgers thread. I forgot there was an Ohtani thread ().

Later I read somewhere that some of it is deferred (in order to be able to work in more now to sign others0, and that the deferral was Ohtani's idea......but that article didn't dive any other info at all about that.

I agree. It seems too much.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:11 PM

34,142 posts, read 17,210,286 times
Great player, absurd contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball