Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 04:06 PM

26,326 posts, read 49,307,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead2009 View Post
I didn't wear the DBacks gear but I DID cheer for both when they scored. My cousin just looked at me and shook her head lol.
I get it. Good plays deserve being appreciated, no matter the team.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 11:58 AM

NY Times email today lists their idea of the ten biggest surprises so far this season. Here's a very short annotation...

1. Astros’ dismal start to the season at 15-25. ... starting rotation in disarray ... bats have been cold ... bullpen a huge disappointment ... pitching staff decimated by injuries ... starters Hunter Brown (7.79 ERA), Spencer Arrighetti (8.44 ERA) and J.P. France (7.46 ERA before being demoted) ... closer Josh Hader (5.29 ERA) and set-up man Ryan Pressly (5.65 ERA) have underwhelmed... bullpen has blown eight saves.

2. Shota Imanaga has been better than Yoshinobu Yamamoto ... The surprise is Shota Imanaga, who signed with the Cubs for two years and $22.5 million guaranteed ... has not only out-pitched Yamamoto, but also every other pitcher in the NL ... is 5-0 with a 1.08 ERA and 0.816 WHIP over 7 starts.

3. Red Sox leading MLB in team ERA ...Red Sox finished last year with a 4.52 team ERA that ranked 21st in MLB ... This season, their staff has posted a 2.75 ERA overall, including a 2.45 mark by their rotation. Four Red Sox starters — Cooper Criswell, Kutter Crawford, Tanner Houck and Garrett Whitlock (injured list) — have ERAs under 2.25 to start the year. Incredible!

4. The early season struggles of four elite prospects ...Most analysts, including me, predicted four of the top rookies this year would be Orioles second baseman Jackson Holliday, Brewers outfielder Jackson Chourio and a pair of Rangers outfielders, Evan Carter and Wyatt Langford ... That just hasn’t been the case ...

5. Brice Turang’s impact on offense ... Last year, Turang hit .218 and reached base at a paltry 28% in 448 plate appearances, ... this year he’s been a huge surprise at .301/.365/.421 with 10 doubles, 2 homers and 16 for 16 in stolen bases ...

6.Julio Rodríguez and Bo Bichette have two homers apiece ... Bichette’s OPS dropped from .814 last season to .552 this season. Rodríguez has seen his OPS fall from .818 last season to .633 this season

7. The A’s have more wins than nine other teams ... A’s finished last year 50-112, have more wins this season than 9 other major-league teams. ... not a typo ... not a joke. A’s have a better record than the Blue Jays, White Sox, Astros, Angels, Marlins, Pirates, Reds, Cardinals and Rockies. And with 19 wins, they’re tied with four other teams.

8. Padres have already made two major trades ... in spring training ... Padres acquired Dylan Cease in a five-player trade with the White Sox. ... Cease has pitched like he did two years ago when he finished second in the AL Cy Young Award voting, starting the year 5-2 with a 2.19 ERA over eight starts ... Padres landed Luis Arraez in a five-player trade with the Marlins... two-time batting champion is hitting .308 with a .354 on-base percentage ... a .344 average and .382 OBP since joining San Diego.

9. The AL Central is the only division with four teams at .500 or better

10. Trevor Williams is 4-0 with a 1.96 ERA ... Last year he went 6-10 with a 5.55 ERA and 5.98 FIP ... led the NL by allowing 34 HRs ... now he’s 4-0 ... a 1.96 ERA and 2.48 FIP and he hasn’t yielded a HR in 36 2/3 innings ...

Old 05-14-2024, 05:03 PM

17,749 posts, read 15,539,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
9. The AL Central is the only division with four teams at .500 or better

The AL and NL Easts are close. AL moreso now. Just Tampa sitting at .500 right now stops the AL east

The NL East a week ago was much closer. Mets losing I think 2 of 3 to the Braves and then one to the Phils yesterday has put them 3 games below .500 and.. Hey.. Hats off to the Nats. they're just a game below.

I mean, I'm sure the Mets will Met.. But, I thought this would be another craptastic year for the Nats.. It may still be, but.. To be 1 game below .500 in mid May? I'm actually impressed.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:18 PM
Status: "Just think, a Buc-ee's replacing an old Buc-ee's." (set 7 days ago)

52,794 posts, read 48,200,057 times
Quote:

1. Astros’ dismal start to the season at 15-25. ... starting rotation in disarray ... bats have been cold ... bullpen a huge disappointment ... pitching staff decimated by injuries ... starters Hunter Brown (7.79 ERA), Spencer Arrighetti (8.44 ERA) and J.P. France (7.46 ERA before being demoted) ... closer Josh Hader (5.29 ERA) and set-up man Ryan Pressly (5.65 ERA) have underwhelmed... bullpen has blown eight saves.
That was recently, but don't look now, because here come the Astros. That's right, these guys have now won four of their last five games. Arrighetti finally got his first MLB win, and Bregman may well be coming out of his funk after being dropped to sixth in the batting order. What did he do last night? Blasted two home runs and went 3-for-3.

Quote:
4. The early season struggles of four elite prospects ...Most analysts, including me, predicted four of the top rookies this year would be Orioles second baseman Jackson Holliday, Brewers outfielder Jackson Chourio and a pair of Rangers outfielders, Evan Carter and Wyatt Langford ... That just hasn’t been the case ...

Jackson Holliday's epic struggles were something I would never have expected. All four of these guys are going to get it all together by the second half.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:39 AM

One topic in the NY Times today is the "disappearing starting pitcher." Some excerpts from this article:

Quote:
There are two main reasons:

• Entertainment: As Jayson and Ken point out, baseball (like any sport) is more interesting when you get to see the big stars face off against one another. They equate the starting pitcher to the quarterback in football — that’s the guy the fans want to see face off against the other guys!

• Injuries: Part of the problem is how the starters are disappearing. It’s not always a five-and-dive early exit. Of the 10 active pitchers who have won a Cy Young award, nine are currently on the IL. One prominent theory: Pitchers have been incentivized to go full-bore for five innings, rather than aim for longevity. It makes strategic sense, short-term — would you rather have five shutout innings, or seven innings with two to three runs allowed?

The long article quotes a lot from Justin Verlander and others.....

Old 05-15-2024, 12:35 PM

17,749 posts, read 15,539,867 times
Quote:
One topic in the NY Times today is the "disappearing starting pitcher." Some excerpts from this article:

The long article quotes a lot from Justin Verlander and others.....

any thought that it's really a change to the focus on things like spin rate?

Elbows have always been an issue for pitchers.. Always will.. Just seems like getting that higher spin rate, which is a focus now, might be putting extra torque on the ol' elbow?

At a certain point.. Analytics can work against you and, I wonder if that's playing a part here? To steal a bit from your article..

Would you rather have a Greg Maddux who pitches for 355 wins over 5000 innings and 23 years..

Or someone like a Stephen Strausburg who.. Legitimately had about a 7 year career (Technically 13, but, 6 of those were years he was hurt/shutdown/etc) but got you 113 wins in those 7 years?

I'm gonna take Greg Maddux in that deal every time. But, even go a level (or three) back from Maddux.. I think i'd rather have Jamie Moyer than Strasburg, with the advantage of hindsight. A solid pitcher for 25 years who stays fairly healthy vs someone who is a great pitcher, but has an abbreviated career.

Old 05-15-2024, 03:31 PM

NY times thinks the 2024 MLB draft is the weakest they've ever seen. Excerpts from the story:

Quote:
I’ve said a few times that this MLB draft class is one of the weakest I’ve ever seen, but I think this first mock draft really makes the case even better than some of the rankings I’ve published so far. There’s a top tier of 11 players — nine in college and two from high school — who will probably all come off the board in the first 12 picks (there’s a good chance some team strikes an under-slot deal later in that range). After that, you might as well pick a random name generator, as we may see a historically low number of high schoolers taken in the first round, with position players lacking and the industry trending away from taking high school arms in the top 30.

Old 05-17-2024, 09:02 AM

4,358 posts, read 3,577,506 times
Quote:
NY times thinks the 2024 MLB draft is the weakest they've ever seen. Excerpts from the story:
The colleges may be our best hope for now. Surely, someone there has major league stuff just waiting to happen.

Old 05-25-2024, 08:32 AM

2,044 posts, read 1,025,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
any thought that it's really a change to the focus on things like spin rate?

Elbows have always been an issue for pitchers.. Always will.. Just seems like getting that higher spin rate, which is a focus now, might be putting extra torque on the ol' elbow?

At a certain point.. Analytics can work against you and, I wonder if that's playing a part here? To steal a bit from your article..

Would you rather have a Greg Maddux who pitches for 355 wins over 5000 innings and 23 years..

Or someone like a Stephen Strausburg who.. Legitimately had about a 7 year career (Technically 13, but, 6 of those were years he was hurt/shutdown/etc) but got you 113 wins in those 7 years?

I'm gonna take Greg Maddux in that deal every time. But, even go a level (or three) back from Maddux.. I think i'd rather have Jamie Moyer than Strasburg, with the advantage of hindsight. A solid pitcher for 25 years who stays fairly healthy vs someone who is a great pitcher, but has an abbreviated career.
Me too. I would rather have consistency in the long run. You figure, many times when a pitcher suffers an injury, they are shut down for months, at least. Right there it will shorten careers.

About Maddux, I would say there was less pressure on him because he had a solid offense supporting him, as well as Glavine and Smoltz in the rotation. Strasburg was more of the "ace" with not as other big names protecting him in the starting rotation.

Old 05-27-2024, 10:42 AM
Status: "Just think, a Buc-ee's replacing an old Buc-ee's." (set 7 days ago)

52,794 posts, read 48,200,057 times
The AL West race is getting close now. Houston is climbing up and gaining on the struggling Rangers, and Seattle is just two games over .500, so certainly, this division is nowhere near what a lot of people expected in terms of record. The top three teams we expect to see are in their spots (though not final, by any means), and all eyes will be on the Pacific Northwest where the Mariners and Astros will face off in a four-game series.

Kansas City, meanwhile, continues to play good baseball in an interesting AL Central. Cleveland still holds first for now, but the Royals may become big players at the upcoming trade deadline (now just two months away). Ben Verlander said on his podcast that KC could use a consistent outfielder for contention. We'll find out.

In the NL, Ronald Acuna, Jr, is out for the season with a torn ACL. It will be interesting to see how the Braves respond to this situation, but I still believe the rest of the roster is good enough to pick up the slack to catch up to Philly. In the Central, St Louis is creeping up and previously surgent Pittsburgh now isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball