Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Asheville
7,554 posts, read 7,106,973 times
Reputation: 6939

Advertisements

Who's your favorite team?

Who's your favorite current player?

Who's your favorite all time player?


For me it's the Red Sox

Manny with honorable mention to (Swifer) Dustin Pedroia

and

Dewey with honorable mention to:

Nomar
George Scott
Ellis Burks
Carney Lansford

I'd love to see your's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 AM
 
Location: NEPA
32 posts, read 34,353 times
Reputation: 25
Phillies/Chase Utley current/Mike Schmidt and Jim Thome all-time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 AM
 
Location: The Communist State of NJ
7,222 posts, read 11,943,280 times
Reputation: 3763
Favorite Team: Yankees

Favorite Current Yankee: Jeter

Favorite All-Time Yankee (my lifetime): Guidry/Nettles (tie)

Favorite All-Time Yankee: Gehrig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,890 posts, read 9,967,646 times
Reputation: 5904
Favorite Team: Red Sox

Favorite Player: Manny probably tied with Big Papi and Papelbon

Favorite All-time Player: Babe Ruth

Favortie All-time Red Sock- Ted Williams(greatest hitter ever...probably)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Chisago Lakes, Minnesota
3,816 posts, read 6,455,617 times
Reputation: 6572
Team: Tigers

Current Tiger: Curtis Granderson. A gentleman off the field, and an intelligent, immensely talented player on it.

All time Tiger: Alan Trammell. The leader of one of the greatest teams ever assembled (1984 Tigers).

All time player in my lifetime: John Smoltz. One of the greatest athletes to ever come out of the state of Michigan. Most competitive, resilient baseball player I've ever watched. Won a Cy Young, a World Series, and made the All Star team both as a starting pitcher and a closer. If only the Tigers would have held onto him, but at least I got to watch him for almost 20 years when I lived in Georgia.

All time player: Hard to say, can't really pick one having not been around when most of them played. So many greats.......I do wish I could go back in time, say between 1910 and 1940, to see what the game was like then compared to now.......well before money became such a distraction.

Least favorite player all time: Without question, Manny Ramirez. No respect for someone that talented who spends half his playing time dogging it. Great hitter, but can't stand anything else about the guy and think he's a bad example for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 02:55 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,890 posts, read 9,967,646 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Team: Tigers

Current Tiger: Curtis Granderson. A gentleman off the field, and an intelligent, immensely talented player on it.

All time Tiger: Alan Trammell. The leader of one of the greatest teams ever assembled (1984 Tigers).

All time player in my lifetime: John Smoltz. One of the greatest athletes to ever come out of the state of Michigan. Most competitive, resilient baseball player I've ever watched. Won a Cy Young, a World Series, and made the All Star team both as a starting pitcher and a closer. If only the Tigers would have held onto him, but at least I got to watch him for almost 20 years when I lived in Georgia.

All time player: Hard to say, can't really pick one having not been around when most of them played. So many greats.......I do wish I could go back in time, say between 1910 and 1940, to see what the game was like then compared to now.......well before money became such a distraction.

Least favorite player all time: Without question, Manny Ramirez. No respect for someone that talented who spends half his playing time dogging it. Great hitter, but can't stand anything else about the guy and think he's a bad example for kids.
ok, ok ok wait a second. How is Manny a bad example for kids?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? he shows up EVERY SINGLE DAY at 7:00 AM to do weights and do batting practice, he works hard on his fielding, sure he "dogs it" occasionally, but seriously every one "dogs it" every once in a while. he's never gotten in any trouble with the law, never used steroids, so PLEASE tell me, how is he a bad example for kids??? the guy's a hard worker. I mean, I know he's not greatest example for kids, but definitely not a bad one......actually he's probably a GOOD example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Chisago Lakes, Minnesota
3,816 posts, read 6,455,617 times
Reputation: 6572
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
ok, ok ok wait a second. How is Manny a bad example for kids?!?!?!.
Well, how much time do you have?

He demands to be traded every off season, and constantly badmouths an organization that has made him filthy rich.

He disgraces and dishonors the game of baseball with his ridiculous hairdo and the way he wears his uniform.

He stands at the plate and admires every fly ball he hits, wether it's going to be a homer or not, rather than running it out in case it drops.

He routinely decides to run out of the basepath and not slide when the situation calls for it.

He's a jerk to the media that covers him.

He shoved a team represenative to the ground the other day because the poor guy couldn't acquire the ridiculous number of tickets he was demanding.

And this guy is a good example for kids? Not my kid.

You want a good example for kids? Check out Curtis Granderson. That guy is what a baseball player should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,890 posts, read 9,967,646 times
Reputation: 5904
Well, how much time do you have?

I have all day

He demands to be traded every off season, and constantly badmouths an organization that has made him filthy rich.

I agree with this. that does get a little bit irritating, yet again 75% of all other MLB players probably do the same thing, but don't get media coverage

He disgraces and dishonors the game of baseball with his ridiculous hairdo and the way he wears his uniform.

Honestly, who cares? So what if he has ridiculous hair and has a baggy uniform? So Jered Weaver has girl-like hair, Royce Clayton has his hair the same exact way, I don't get your argument.

He stands at the plate and admires every fly ball he hits, wether it's going to be a homer or not, rather than running it out in case it drops.

So? don't most other sluggers do the same exact thing? Pujols does it, so does Victor Martinez, so does Ryan Howard, most sluggers do this.


He routinely decides to run out of the basepath and not slide when the situation calls for it.

I've seen him slide headfirst at 2nd before, and he does run hard most of the time

He's a jerk to the media that covers him.

He's actually very freindly to the media, when have you seen him act like a jerk to the media?

He shoved a team represenative to the ground the other day because the poor guy couldn't acquire the ridiculous number of tickets he was demanding.

I agree with this....that was pretty stupid by Manny

And this guy is a good example for kids? Not my kid.

well, keep in mind that I'm a kid too.....I'm 15. I don't exactly "look up" to Manny, but he is my favorite player. And I play baseball and I don't do the same stuff as Manny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
14,044 posts, read 27,236,754 times
Reputation: 7373
Who's your favorite team? Indians #1, Phillies #1a

Who's your favorite current player? Chase Utley, solid all around hard nosed player

Who's your favorite all time player? Steve Carlton, what he did with the awful 1972 Phillies made an impression on me that helped me my entire life and professional career. His ability to maintain focus and show leadership to the young and struggling squad was a remarkable story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL
243 posts, read 87,018 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Who's your favorite team?

Who's your favorite current player?

Who's your favorite all time player?


For me it's the Red Sox

Manny with honorable mention to (Swifer) Dustin Pedroia

and

Dewey with honorable mention to:

Nomar
George Scott
Ellis Burks
Carney Lansford

I'd love to see your's.
My favorite team is the Marlins.

My favorite player is Hanley Ramirez.

My favorite all-time player is A-Rod. I know he is still playing, but he is my favorite player for someone outside the Marlins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top