Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,527,271 times

Advertisements

As I see it, the Cardinals have gotten the better end of this deal. They got the best years of this guy, 2 WS, and lots of excitement, for a bargain. The Angels on the other hand, are paying for past performance. Albert had the chance to become an icon for all baseball fans who feel disenfranchised by the currently lavish business of baseball, but instead he decided to become another overpaid DH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 11:51 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,636,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
As I see it, the Cardinals have gotten the better end of this deal. They got the best years of this guy, 2 WS, and lots of excitement, for a bargain. The Angels on the other hand, are paying for past performance. Albert had the chance to become an icon for all baseball fans who feel disenfranchised by the currently lavish business of baseball, but instead he decided to become another overpaid DH.
Agree with what you've said. The guy's got maybe two or three decent years left. After that he'll be relegated to DH & an overpaid cheerleader.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:44 PM

922 posts, read 1,699,596 times
lol, #angles & #trader are trending on facebook and twitter.

You gotta love technology at times.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:50 PM

958 posts, read 2,622,576 times
As a Brewer fan, I'm happy, but would be happier if I thought we might be able to keep Fielder. Now if he ends up in St. Louis, that's another story.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:29 AM

5,167 posts, read 3,659,947 times
What was the Cards final offer? I thought I heard something in the 10yr/$215M mark. All day, on the sports stations here they kept saying after taxes, he is only going to make $1M more a year with the Angels. I dont know if that is true or not, but I am pretty sure he wont be worth $25M per on the back end of that deal...

Old 12-09-2011, 07:08 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,996 times
Default From a longtime Cardinals fan...

Thank you for a decade of superb performance. The Cardinals benefitted greatly from your time in St Louis.

Wishing you the best in California. I'll remain an Albert Pujols fan, except in those rare games when you line up against your old team.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:21 AM

504 posts, read 1,271,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Yet the Cardinals will have a new unproven manager.
The Cardinals will probably would have had a down year anyway.
They barely made the playoffs last year.
Haters gonna hate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
I can count 250 reasons why. Guy sold himself out like a *****. I really feel bad for the StL fans...they idolized this guy. Go into any area WalMart and it's the only shirt they sell. Freakin' sad. Guy is a loser...or winner depending on where you sit on the topic.
It's business, not personal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Agreed. Pujols was the 402nd overall pick. Winning organizations identify and develop talent. Buying older stars is a good way to win next season, or the season after, but it doesn't build long-term success.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:26 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,510,837 times
As a Reds fan, I can't say I'm sad to see him leave.

As a psuedo-Angels fan (I went to school five minutes from Anaheim Stadium), I'm not sure he's worth a 10-year contract.

As an Arizonan, I can't wait for the 2012 Cactus League to start

Old 12-09-2011, 02:56 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
This is why baseball needs a salary cap. Idiot Yankees sign Arod to a terrible contract, an Pujols, who is the best player in the league feels that he has to be paid more than Arod. Thus, teams have to shell out more money when idiotic teams sign other players to stupid contracts.
A few points of contention.
1) Teams are free to decide when a player's salary demands are greater than his worth.

2) If giving players huge contracts is some disadvantage, then teams that don't do so will have a competitive advantage.

3) A salary cap would do nothing other than take money away from the players and give it to the owners. Why anyone other than a baseball owner is in favor of this, I can't understand.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
As a lifelong Cardinals fan, I'm not disappointed. The Cardinals got their money's worth, with ten years for $100 million. Let somebody else pay him now. For $250-million, the Cardinals can now sign quality players to fill two or three spots in their lineup, and in total, get a lot more productivity than from just one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball