U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:08 PM

2,775 posts, read 11,044,479 times

Advertisements

Heard a little something on the radio about the Yanks talking about offering Manny a contract, but still a little sketchy on the 4 year deal. Looking more towards 3 years but just more dough per year instead of a 4 year deal.

With Abreu most likely not coming back, which angers me, the Yanks could use a slugger in the outfield. Abreu was one of the Yanks biggest clutch hitters, Manny's a clutch hitter. He'd fit the bill.

Hank Steinbrenner has expressed his admiration of Manny lately and as we all know, Manny's from New York City (only a mile or so away from Yankee Stadium), he has family and friends still here, and he'd love to give it to Boston 19 games a year.

With the Dodgers not able to come up with anything yet, the Yanks may jump in and pick him up if he can't reach an agreement with the little Dodgies. Maybe a January pick-up... We'll see.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 08:41 PM

13,927 posts, read 25,202,031 times
I can't see a four year deal, but three might be acceptable. Between Sabathia, Ramirez and Burnett, plus whatever contract cost they have to pick up on Cameron, I think this will put the Yanks back at $200 million.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:09 PM

716 posts, read 1,588,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I can't see a four year deal, but three might be acceptable. Between Sabathia, Ramirez and Burnett, plus whatever contract cost they have to pick up on Cameron, I think this will put the Yanks back at $200 million.
$$ doesn't buy World Series titles. So please, Yanks...keep on spending. What are you up to now? 8 years with no titles....let's see, that's now over $1billion spent with nothing to show for it.

You guys should learn a little something about scouting and growing your own players.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Thinking about it, the Yankees lineup might be fairly old next season. Looking at some of the known players, Jeter will be 35, ARod 33, Damon 35, Matsui 35, Posada 37, and if you add Cameron at 36 and Ramirez at 37, you have a roster with a very high injury risk plus the probability of wearing out during the course of the season.

Just another consideration.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:44 AM

2,775 posts, read 11,044,479 times
Quote:
Thinking about it, the Yankees lineup might be fairly old next season. Looking at some of the known players, Jeter will be 35, ARod 33, Damon 35, Matsui 35, Posada 37, and if you add Cameron at 36 and Ramirez at 37, you have a roster with a very high injury risk plus the probability of wearing out during the course of the season.

I wouldn't mind trading A-Rod for Hanley Ramirez... I've had enough of A-Rod. But the only problem is that A-Rod's contract costs so much that other teams may not want it... So maybe Damon or Matsui and a prospect or two for him. He could play 2nd base with his SS range and speed.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:11 AM

7,555 posts, read 6,523,004 times
Quote:

Lase season, the Yanks were 10th in the league in runs scored and 16th in the league in Earned runs allowed.

I expect there pitching to improve with the additions of CC and Burnett and also a healthy Wang

But there offense has lost Jason Giambi and Bobby Abreau and so far they have only picked up Nick Swisher.

So I suspect the Yanks aren't finished bringing in free agents yet.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
I wouldn't mind trading A-Rod for Hanley Ramirez... I've had enough of A-Rod. But the only problem is that A-Rod's contract costs so much that other teams may not want it... So maybe Damon or Matsui and a prospect or two for him. He could play 2nd base with his SS range and speed.
For the type of deal you propose, and in consideration of payroll, the Yankees would likely have to pick up some of the 2009 and 2010 compensation for the "dealt" players. In addition, I think the prospect included in the deal would need to be at least one of the young top line pitchers, such as Phil Hughes or Joba Chamberlain.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,121 posts, read 1,948,142 times
Default Manny still could be in pinstripes

Yankees 'going hard' after Manny Ramirez, report says - New York Yankees baseball - NJ.com and probably no trade for Cameron http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...e_cameron.html

Last edited by Marcian; 12-18-2008 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: add one more line

Old 12-18-2008, 12:36 PM

40,051 posts, read 32,358,514 times
Someone once said that those who don't study history are condemned to repeat it. Bringing a player back to his home town isn't always the most brilliant possible move. Remember the cautionary tale of Darryl Strawberry, a product of the City of Angels made good--who couldn't play in his hometown to save his life. Anyone who ever saw how he performed with the Mets when they went on a road trip to Los Angeles knew that.

Manny Ramirez, from Washington Heights in the borough of Manhattan. As someone who isn't a Yankee fan at all, I must say that I wait with great anticipation for the day he puts on those pinstripes.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:25 PM

Perhaps Fred, but Manny has a pretty unique "off" switch in his brain. I wouldn't be surprised if it had no impact, he isn't the type to put pressure on himself. I recall his quote being something like "if we lose there is always next year."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball