Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 PM

5,794 posts, read 13,883,492 times

Advertisements

I was recently talking with my brother about a trade that was never made, but was actually considered by the Yankees and Red Sox. This would have been in the late 40s. The two players involved - Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio. At the time, both teams were contenders. My father-in-law, who grew up in the Boston area dismissed Williams as arrogant and pulled for the Braves. Ted wasn't popular with the Boston press either, which may have cost him an MVP award sometime around 1947. His squabbles with management were pretty well-known too.

I don't think that DiMaggio had that kind of baggage in NY. But a deal was discussed, which supposedly would favor both players slugging abilities with Fenway and Yankee Stadium being opposite to each other's power alleys.

Anyway, it never happened, but it must have created some interesting what-if scenarios back in the day.

So... What trades, or near trades stand out in for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 01:38 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,071,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I was recently talking with my brother about a trade that was never made, but was actually considered by the Yankees and Red Sox. This would have been in the late 40s. The two players involved - Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio. At the time, both teams were contenders. My father-in-law, who grew up in the Boston area dismissed Williams as arrogant and pulled for the Braves. Ted wasn't popular with the Boston press either, which may have cost him an MVP award sometime around 1947. His squabbles with management were pretty well-known too.

I don't think that DiMaggio had that kind of baggage in NY. But a deal was discussed, which supposedly would favor both players slugging abilities with Fenway and Yankee Stadium being opposite to each other's power alleys.

Anyway, it never happened, but it must have created some interesting what-if scenarios back in the day.

So... What trades, or near trades stand out in for you?
wow, that must have been the topic at the water coolers back in the day.

as mentioned in another thread the trade that stands out as the worst for me was Bagwell for Larry Anderson.

Others: the Nomar trade - and nobody (myself included) thought we got enough back at the time, but when the Sox won the series a few months later, all was forgotten.

The Manny trade- I hated losing the guy, but it was time and I have a large man crush on J Bay. please resign him Theo.

the Hanley trade- I had been living a few miles from the Marlins home park for 6 yr's and watched Beckett and Lowell numerous times, and I loved the trade at the time. of course everyone knew Hanley had a really high ceiling and no one knew If he would ever reach his potential. Today I still think it was a good trade for Boston and they wouldn't have won in 2007 without it.

as far as near trades, the ARod deal that almost was, stands out, I was excited about it at the time even if we were going to send Manny to Texas. Looking back on that now I'm glad the Yanks got him, don't get me wrong I think he's a great player, and all of the ARod can't hit in the clutch talk is a lot of BS but that's another story. I just don't think Big Papi would have faired as well with ARod hitting behind him as he did with Manny back there.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:15 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times
Whew, I could probably post in this thread all day, especially with my following the minors.

I'll start out with the Phillies and Cards deal of Rick Wise for Steve Carlton, just prior to the 1972 season. Carlton was having a contract problem with St Louis, and they dealt him to Philly for Wise.

Other than the obvious initial performance difference, significantly favoring Carlton, it set the stage for a future Philly championship. The Phillies in 1972 were just awful, but rarely lost when Carlton pitched. What made this most significant though, was that the team was loaded with very young future cornerstone players such as Mike Schmidt, Larry Bowa, Greg Luzinski and Bob Boone. Carlton showed this very young and impressionable team how to win, and how to establish a winning attitude. It really changed the entire nature of the franchise for the following decade.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:47 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,466,471 times
That awful day in 1977 when the Mets shipped Tom Seaver to Cincinnati for three young players. (Previous rookie-of-the-year Pat Zachry turned out to be somewhat less of a force than the man for whom he was dealt).

The only possible way that trade made any sense was if you considered that Seaver had spent the previous 11 years in the majors; how many more good years could he have had left? Unfortunately, the Amazin's miscalculated rather horribly, as Mr. S went on to have seven or eight more All-Star quality seasons.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:22 PM

16,346 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Whew, I could probably post in this thread all day, especially with my following the minors.

I'll start out with the Phillies and Cards deal of Rick Wise for Steve Carlton, just prior to the 1972 season. Carlton was having a contract problem with St Louis, and they dealt him to Philly for Wise.
I told you about that one on another thread. (g) In 1972, Carlton won something like 40% of the Cardinal victories.

Another notable trade in 1971:

Cincinnati traded Lee May, Tommy Helms, and Jimmy Stewart for Joe Morgan, Denis Menke, Jack Billingham, Cesar Geronimo and Ed Armbrister.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,025,743 times
Pete Rose to the Phillies (and the Expos for that matter).

Old 05-19-2009, 02:23 PM

532 posts, read 1,561,853 times
I remember rumors of a trade involving Todd Helton going to Boston 1 or 2 years ago. I don't know who was going to be coming the rox way from boston though.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:31 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,554,390 times
The Nomar trade. Absolutely devistating to Red Sox fans, but was another genius move by Theo. At the time, losing Nomar was like the end of the world. He was the Red Sox. He'll always have a special place in Red Sox fans hearts.

I love it when the Yankees always outbid the Red Sox. Those are the awesome non-signings by the Red Sox. You build a team through the farm system, developing young pitchers---> See Pap, Lester, Bard, etc.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:03 PM

730 posts, read 2,047,385 times
One of my favorites came in after 1992 where the Yankees traded Roberto Kelly to Cincinnati for Paul O'Neill. He struggled trying to be a power hitter in 1992, hitting .246 with 14 homers, but O'Neill flourished with the Yankees.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:43 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,199,892 times
The trade the Expos and Indians made in mid-2002 where the Expos got a half-season of Bartolo Colon and Lee Stevens for Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee, and Grady Sizemore will go down as one of the worst (for the Expos) or best (for the Indians) trades of the decade, depending on your point of view. That trade is memorable to me because I was living in Harrisburg at the time (which had - and still has - a Double A team affiliated with the Expos/Nationals) and I thought at the time the Expos gave up way too much - Phillips (who had just moved up to Triple A) was the Expos' #1 prospect, Sizemore (who was in high Single A) was the Expos' #3 prospect, and Lee (who was in Double A) was a top 20 Expos' prospect (I think Lee was ranked 15th).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball