Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Arizona Diamondbacks change their name?
No - I like it the way it is 18 75.00%
Yes - change it to the AZ Gekkos 1 4.17%
Yes - change it to the AZ Scorpions 1 4.17%
Yes - change it to the AZ *******s 3 12.50%
Yes - change it to this... 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times

Advertisements

The Diamondbacks should change their name to the Arizona Gekkos, or somethin like that. What the hell is a 'diamondback' anyway - it's a snake. Look at the Cubbies - friendly, cuddly, look at Arizona, a hard to pronounce snake - no wonder no one loves them.
Here's some suggested re-names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
You may be on to something here. Teams could sell their naming rights to corp sponsors.

Could come up with some funny names here, but as a mod I don't want to set a bad example.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:09 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The Diamondbacks should change their name to the Arizona Gekkos, or somethin like that. What the hell is a 'diamondback' anyway - it's a snake. Look at the Cubbies - friendly, cuddly, look at Arizona, a hard to pronounce snake - no wonder no one loves them.
Here's some suggested re-names.
Why would we want to waste precious time with such an idea?? Just because the team is having one bad season does not mean that they need to trash everything and start over.

What needs to happen now is to get the field product improved, as well as, perhaps, the front office and management. Keep the Diamondbacks name as it is. So Arizona has snakes, so what??

Old 07-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Why would we want to waste precious time with such an idea?? Just because the team is having one bad season does not mean that they need to trash everything and start over.

What needs to happen now is to get the field product improved, as well as, perhaps, the front office and management. Keep the Diamondbacks name as it is. So Arizona has snakes, so what??
You are missing my point - I want to aid this franchise, but 3-syllable words that describe the pattern on the back of a rattlesnake is not a psychologically wise choice. Notice how 'Cubs' is easily to pronounce, and conjures up little cuddly bears, a friendly image - especially appealing to women, and 'Cubbies' further accentuates the warm, fuzzy feeling. Now say 'Diamondbacks', it conjures up a picture of some kind of aluminum foil pattern, which you know is wrong, so the brain has to work to conjure up a picture of a rattlesnake - instant aversion.
Now say 'Gecko', and you instantly see the little green lizard with big eyes from the Geico commercial, a little weird, but cute and funny, and with millions in free advertising from Geico.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:14 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Now say 'Gecko', and you instantly see the little green lizard with big eyes from the Geico commercial, a little weird, but cute and funny, and with millions in free advertising from Geico.
In other words, the baseball team should sell out to the insurance company? Think about it: that's a truly awful precedent to set. Suppose they decide to sell out, but to McDonald's instead for more money. Who's going to be happy to buy Arizona Big Mac jerseys and baseball caps?

Leave the Diamondbacks as the Diamondbacks.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
In other words, the baseball team should sell out to the insurance company? Think about it: that's a truly awful precedent to set. Suppose they decide to sell out, but to McDonald's instead for more money. Who's going to be happy to buy Arizona Big Mac jerseys and baseball caps?

Leave the Diamondbacks as the Diamondbacks.
Who said anything about selling out to an insurance company? The gecko is an animal not a company. If the insurance company happens to use a gecko in advertising, great subliminal boost.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:36 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Is this a joke?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
"Diamondbacks" is hard to pronounce? It must be a joke.
3-syllable names: Nationals, Indians, Athletics...

Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times
i've never been crazy about the team's name - "diamondbacks" just doesn't roll off the tongue with ease - but i've gotten used to it, i guess. it doesn't really matter to me since they're not my team, but i wouldn't be upset if they changed their name to something more catchy, either.

to me, the worst thing about the diamondbacks' name is that it's frequently shortened by fans and announcers to "d-backs", which sounds suspiciously close to "d-bags". i've heard a lot of fans, especially from the team's NL West rivals, who refer to the team as such.

seems like the team owners didn't really take that into account when naming the franchise.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:45 PM

221 posts, read 519,815 times
The team may not have much bite this year, but the name is fine. Leave as is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball