U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 01:49 PM

2,107 posts, read 2,201,951 times

Advertisements

Last night in the bottom of the 7th, with the game tied 2-2 against the Reds, Manny came in as a pinch hitter, the crowd cheered and I thought this feels like a Kurt Gibson moment. Then on the first pitch he belted a home run to leftfield, Mannywood of all places!!

The crowd cheered like they did in 1988 when Gibson hit his dramatic 2 run homer to beat the A's in game one of the World Series. Seems he has the city of Los Angeles in a frenzy, even better then Fernandomania in 1981.

I just don't understand what went wrong for Manny Ramirez to want to leave Boston so badly.

Is this Manny being Manny?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 PM

9,130 posts, read 16,704,102 times
I don't think I want to try and get in Manny's head!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 AM

35,684 posts, read 64,974,813 times
Someone on the Cincinnati Enquirer's web forum suggested that Nick Masset should have beaned Manny, just for being Manny.

Who knows, it might have saved a couple runs.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Someone on the Cincinnati Enquirer's web forum suggested that Nick Masset should have beaned Manny, just for being Manny.

Who knows, it might have saved a couple runs.
Funny you mentioned that, when we were watching it on TV, someone had said that too. With a bases loaded situation, it might have been good strategic move. It would've saved 3 extra throws, and 3 extra runs.

But my reason for this thread was, what caused things to go so wrong in Boston? Why did they want him out, as bad as he wanted out?

Old 07-29-2009, 04:49 AM

4,576 posts, read 8,308,765 times
Wait till October, that when manny really becomes manny

Old 07-29-2009, 07:11 AM

7,558 posts, read 6,421,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Last night in the bottom of the 7th, with the game tied 2-2 against the Reds, Manny came in as a pinch hitter, the crowd cheered and I thought this feels like a Kurt Gibson moment. Then on the first pitch he belted a home run to leftfield, Mannywood of all places!!

The crowd cheered like they did in 1988 when Gibson hit his dramatic 2 run homer to beat the A's in game one of the World Series. Seems he has the city of Los Angeles in a frenzy, even better then Fernandomania in 1981.

I just don't understand what went wrong for Manny Ramirez to want to leave Boston so badly.

Is this Manny being Manny?
Manny had visions of one last long term deal, and for that to happen he had to get Boston to not pick up either of his option years. So he quit on the Red Sox stopped running out grounders, picked a fight with Youkilis, knocked down one of the trainers, manufactered injuries so he wouldn't have to play that day.

It was sad because I loved Manny in Boston, and I wish him nothing but good luck, but from the Sox perspective he had to go, and I have a serious man crush on Jason Bay (the Sox better re-sign him).

Old 07-30-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Manny had visions of one last long term deal, and for that to happen he had to get Boston to not pick up either of his option years. So he quit on the Red Sox stopped running out grounders, picked a fight with Youkilis, knocked down one of the trainers, manufactered injuries so he wouldn't have to play that day.

It was sad because I loved Manny in Boston, and I wish him nothing but good luck, but from the Sox perspective he had to go, and I have a serious man crush on Jason Bay (the Sox better re-sign him).
Boston should've suspended him without pay, because he was being a detriment to the team.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:09 AM

16,768 posts, read 35,835,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Seems he has the city of Los Angeles in a frenzy, even better then Fernandomania in 1981.
Not even close to Fernadomania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball