Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed?

Manny Ramirez..2009 stats before his suspension for steroid use:
.355-.487-.669-1.315

Manny Ramirez since being forced to play clean:
.265-.363-.434-.798

Just a little .500 dropoff in OPS.

And we have to figure that Arod is now playing clean..his career marks:
.304-.390-.575-.965

His 2009 stats to date:
.267-.400-.504-.904

Now, Manny is making 23 million this season (well, less the $ he lost while suspended.) and Arod is making 33 million this season.

Is it not the case that both of these players signed mega contracts because their clubs were anticipating the sort of performance which they were getting while the player was using PEDs? What would Manny have been offered if the Dodgers had known in advance that they would be getting a .798 OPS from Ramirez? How long of a contract would Arod have been offered if the clubs had been aware that starting this year, he would be a lot more like a normal aging player? Five years from now Rodriguez will be 39 years old and I think we may anticipate him playing more like all the other superstars in the twilights of their careers, and less like the supercharged Barry Bonds at that age. (I sort of look forward to 2017 when the Yankees are still paying Arod 30 million plus and he is hurt half the year and has a .750 OPS when he does play.)

I would love to see one of these clubs sue the player and his agent for contract fraud. It isn't going to happen, a club wouldn't do it, the MLBPA would probably tie them up in the courts forever or maybe even go on strike rather than see a signed contract ruled invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 08:14 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Uh oh...you mean players aren't the same without steroids? Imagine if a concept like that started spreading around!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Uh oh...you mean players aren't the same without steroids?
Of course they are. Haven't you heard all these guys who got caught explaining that they didn't take steroids to cheat or enhance performance, they just felt pressure to try and recover from an injury faster?

Are you saying that you do not believe them?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Maybe Manny should try cutting his hair and stopping the circus. That guy is a fool, and I'm grateful everyday that Theo tossed his ass the hell out of Boston and got Jason Bay. What a contrast.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:02 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
I think they shoud pay them on a year to year basis, no sense in wasting millions on someone that aint producing or is aging and losing his abilities.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:45 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Has anyone else noticed?

Manny Ramirez..2009 stats before his suspension for steroid use:
.355-.487-.669-1.315

Manny Ramirez since being forced to play clean:
.265-.363-.434-.798

Just a little .500 dropoff in OPS.

And we have to figure that Arod is now playing clean..his career marks:
.304-.390-.575-.965

His 2009 stats to date:
.267-.400-.504-.904

Now, Manny is making 23 million this season (well, less the $ he lost while suspended.) and Arod is making 33 million this season.

Is it not the case that both of these players signed mega contracts because their clubs were anticipating the sort of performance which they were getting while the player was using PEDs? What would Manny have been offered if the Dodgers had known in advance that they would be getting a .798 OPS from Ramirez? How long of a contract would Arod have been offered if the clubs had been aware that starting this year, he would be a lot more like a normal aging player? Five years from now Rodriguez will be 39 years old and I think we may anticipate him playing more like all the other superstars in the twilights of their careers, and less like the supercharged Barry Bonds at that age. (I sort of look forward to 2017 when the Yankees are still paying Arod 30 million plus and he is hurt half the year and has a .750 OPS when he does play.)

I would love to see one of these clubs sue the player and his agent for contract fraud. It isn't going to happen, a club wouldn't do it, the MLBPA would probably tie them up in the courts forever or maybe even go on strike rather than see a signed contract ruled invalid.
Grandstander I agree with most of your posts, but not this time, the owners all sat back and idly watched as most of there players bulked up at an alarming rate, they enjoyed the added revenue from the increased attendance because of all of the monster homeruns flying out of there stadiums on a nightly basis, we even heard from Lou Merloni that the Red Sox brought in a Physician to teach the players the correct way to take PED's, dosages and what not (for you haters out there if you think it was only the Red Sox you're crazy, they were protecting there investment).

The Sport is in the process of cleaning itself up, and guys who were using PED's maybe even for there entire career will be playing drug free (hopefully) but I don't feel any sympathy for the owners, if they have to eat a few bad contracts along the way so be it. they weren't exactly innocent bystanders.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post

The Sport is in the process of cleaning itself up, and guys who were using PED's maybe even for there entire career will be playing drug free (hopefully) but I don't feel any sympathy for the owners, if they have to eat a few bad contracts along the way so be it. they weren't exactly innocent bystanders.
I wasn't thinking of it from the angle of a triumph for the owners so much as a lesson for the players. I do not feel the owners are blame free in this business, they certainly didn't act to investigate any suspicious players. They deserve no reward, but I would prefer to see the more severe punishment fall on the users rather than those who deliberately looked the other way and also benefitted from the practice.

The way things are, the player still wins. Manny and Arod will continue to make millions even as their performance declines, or even if they are released. This all comes out of the owner's pocket. Maybe the owners deserve to take a hit, but the players deserve it even more and they are making out like bandits in this. If the price of seeing the players brought down is allowing the owners to catch a break, I think it is worth paying.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:16 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I wasn't thinking of it from the angle of a triumph for the owners so much as a lesson for the players. I do not feel the owners are blame free in this business, they certainly didn't act to investigate any suspicious players. They deserve no reward, but I would prefer to see the more severe punishment fall on the users rather than those who deliberately looked the other way and also benefitted from the practice.

The way things are, the player still wins. Manny and Arod will continue to make millions even as their performance declines, or even if they are released. This all comes out of the owner's pocket. Maybe the owners deserve to take a hit, but the players deserve it even more and they are making out like bandits in this. If the price of seeing the players brought down is allowing the owners to catch a break, I think it is worth paying.
this is true but that will lead to a market correction and fairly quickly.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:07 PM

325 posts, read 963,233 times
How about taking a look at A-Rod's career stats after they instituted testing, rather than the stats for 2009. You are aware that he missed the 1st month and a half of the season after having surgery that was only intended to get hip hip injury through the season. He's having major hip repair after the season.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
How about taking a look at A-Rod's career stats after they instituted testing, rather than the stats for 2009. You are aware that he missed the 1st month and a half of the season after having surgery that was only intended to get hip hip injury through the season. He's having major hip repair after the season.
So?

Rodriguez has confessed to three seasons of steroid use, and he confessed because he got caught and could not deny it. According to his recent biographer, and according to Jose Canseco, Rodriguez has been using steroids his entire career. I cannot vouch for Ms. Rodriguez's book, but I have learned that Canseco has been proven correct when he has named names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball