Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 02:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Here's an amazing stat. In his career, Babe Ruth hit 12 walkoff home runs, Bonds 10, and Aaron 9. Albert Pujols already has 8. Frank Robinson, Jimmie Foxx, Mickey Mantle and Stan Musial each hit 12, ARod 9, Mays only 6. Gehrig only 3.

In extra innings, Ruth hit 12 homers, Pujols and Bonds 11 each, and Aaron 10.

By the way, Ruth hit 10 inside-the-park homers, one of them in his 60-HR season. Musial hit 9, Mays 6, Bonds 3, Aaron 1, and Pujols doesn't have one yet.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-08-2009 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 07:58 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Interesting. The stat is situational in that some will have more chances of such a HR than others. But it certainly is one representation of clutch hitting. Modern parks don't have the ridiculous outfield depths that Yankee Stadium or Cleveland's Municipal stadium were famous for, so I'm gonna say that Albert may never hit an inside the parker. And speaking of situational stats - didn't Gehrig have 23 or so grand slams?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Pujols will be exposed as just another PED fraud eventually. The way the ball comes off his bat is totally unnatural.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:19 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Pujols will be exposed as just another PED fraud eventually. The way the ball comes off his bat is totally unnatural.
I really, REALLY hope not. As many other fans would say, noone would shock me, but this would be a pretty big let down.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I really, REALLY hope not. As many other fans would say, noone would shock me, but this would be a pretty big let down.
I'm telling you......people will say "PED's can't help you hit a baseball". Not true. PED's increase your strength to the point that your bat speed is so increased you are clobbering pitches you might not normally get ahold of. That same increased strength is also turning deep fly ball outs into monster home runs. Pujols is a prime example. The guy hits some balls out while barely making contact. The ones he makes solid contact with look like they're gonna hit the sun and moon before they come down. McGwire and Bonds' homers acted exactly the same way. Sorry, no man is that naturally strong. Albert's a walking syringe if I ever saw one. Only a matter of time before it becomes official.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:25 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,462 times
Quote:
LOL, probably the worst litmus test for a PED user ever. The "analysis" that you presented in your subsequent post is nothing but the conjecture of somebody who thinks he knows a lot more than he really does. In fact, I dare you to try and substantiate any of the ridiculous claims you've made here (without using a bunch of vague generalities, of course). I would take great pleasure in seeing you try to prove and explain how Albert converts "deep fly balls" into home runs at an unnatural clip.

If you want to indict Albert Pujols when there is exactly no proof that he's a user, that's your sad prerogative. But, at least refrain from insulting our intelligence by presenting the above "argument" as your primary reason.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There is more than simple "distance" to hitting homers. You have to measure how many balls go how many feet, and then you'll see who generated power. A Milwaukee writer figured that in 1956, Joe Adcock hit 74 balls more than 400 feet, but only 38 were homers. The others were caught by center fielders with their backs to the wall. He was a notorious straight-away hitter, and it is possible that nobody else ever hit that many balls over 400 feet.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
LOL, probably the worst litmus test for a PED user ever. The "analysis" that you presented in your subsequent post is nothing but the conjecture of somebody who thinks he knows a lot more than he really does. In fact, I dare you to try and substantiate any of the ridiculous claims you've made here (without using a bunch of vague generalities, of course). I would take great pleasure in seeing you try to prove and explain how Albert converts "deep fly balls" into home runs at an unnatural clip.

If you want to indict Albert Pujols when there is exactly no proof that he's a user, that's your sad prerogative. But, at least refrain from insulting our intelligence by presenting the above "argument" as your primary reason.
Nice diatribe. I'll remember you when that "Breaking News" headline about Pujols being busted rolls across the bottom of ESPN's telecast.

I'm a Tigers fan, and I freely admit that I know Magglio, Sheffield, Guillen and Pudge all used. Cardinal fans know Pujols has, too....they're just still enamored with him because he continues to dodge the bullet. Only a matter of time....

Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 AM

611 posts, read 1,458,462 times
Quote:
Nice diatribe. I'll remember you when that "Breaking News" headline about Pujols being busted rolls across the bottom of ESPN's telecast.
Don't held your breath - you'll be waiting an awfully long time.

If an elementary assessment of the "unnatural way" the ball comes off his bat is all it takes to convince you of his guilt, you're beyond help anyway.

Get over yourself.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:30 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:

I'm a Tigers fan, and I freely admit that I know Magglio, Sheffield, Guillen and Pudge all used. Cardinal fans know Pujols has, too....they're just still enamored with him because he continues to dodge the bullet. Only a matter of time....
Ok, I think that the point is you are using the eyeball test and nothing more. I don't blame you for being skeptical, for this is the era that Pujols falls into. However, it is a bit silly to act as if you know he uses based on the way the balls comes of his bat. I never saw any basketball player do the things MJ did, but I attributed that to once in a lifetime talent, not some magic shoes. I'm going to continue to give AP the benefit of the doubt until there is tangible proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball