Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:03 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,160,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I've lived ten minutes from the stadiums for 5 years, and I'd have to question that.
You must have been here when the Chiefs were still riding that popularity wave of the 90's and early 2000's. It has died down significantly in the last 3-4 years.
Plus, the rural areas on the Missouri side lean heavily towards the Cardinals almost as soon as you leave the last KC suburb.
You see as many people interested in the Royals again as you do the Chiefs right now. There's been more hope for the baseball team believe it or not.
The Royals have been spending more money lately, but it's extremely difficult to outbid bigger-market teams. The Twins seem to have a decent formula for small markets, but the need to spend just a little bit more is showing.
You also have to remember that the Royals were in complete shambles 5 years ago. Every thing has had to change in every aspect of the organization. Several years without a real owner, and several more of an indifferent one does that to you.
The passing of Ewing Kauffman and the 1994 strike were double-blows to the once-proud organization.
I guess they could have just went out and bought themselves a World Series team like Florida has done in the past, but that's no way to rebuild a fan base for the long haul.

KC, like anywhere, takes pride in who's winning. At the moment, the Kansas Jayhawks are probably more popular than anyone else. That's not to say we're a college sports town, but some folks just have to cling on to a winner.

Unless he gets a truck load of .300 hitters in return, I will lose all faith in Dayton Moore if he trades a solid performing Grienke. I've questioned some of his moves in the past, but I doubt he's that dumb.
All the divisions are different right now and what works in the AL east might not be necessar in the central.If you went out and got some decent middle relief help(not shelling out millions) and maybe added a bat or two (one guy who can bat for average and one who can hit the long ball (like a Adam Dunn) then that would make a significant impact and probably only up you payroll maybe $10-15 million which isn't bad.A guy like an Abreu would only cast about $5 million after this season and could help alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:44 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,414,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Unless he gets a truck load of .300 hitters in return, I will lose all faith in Dayton Moore if he trades a solid performing Grienke.
He wont trade him, but will loose him when his contract is up. He WILL BE offered alot more $ than KC will offer him.$ along with loosing will make Grienke leave.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:12 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,160,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
He wont trade him, but will loose him when his contract is up. He WILL BE offered alot more $ than KC will offer him.$ along with loosing will make Grienke leave.
What I also find amusing is that he states he doesn't want to play for the Yankees but when he eventually leaves for free agent money he'll probably end up with a team like the Angels or Red Sox which are just like the Yankees but just a different name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball