Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
How about an AL team in the Philadelphia area? Philly is the largest metro with only one MLB team. The team could be located in south Jersey, Wilmington DE, or the northern Philly suburbs. I'm sure they would draw better than they do in Tampa or anywhere else for that matter...they would draw well with regional rivalries with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Orioles. Otherwise I would vote for Buffalo, Oklahoma City, Indianapolis, Memphis, or Louisville, which have all been successful AAA cities. If Tampa hasn't drawn fans with the Rays' recent success, they never will.
A while back from some friends on the inside,I heard that they were trying to establish a possible New Jersey team.Where they were going to play was yet to be determined but they told me the Meadowlands or possibly closer to the Newark area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 08:26 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The tickets wouldn't be the price as in the U.S and i'm sure jerseys might be cheaper too.
Probably, but the players would be paid U.S.-level wages in U.S. dollars.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times
Default Location, Location, Location

Most of you don't realize the issues in Tampa Bay and why their attendence is low. Its not because we don't have any interest in the Rays. Its not because we don't support them. The problem is the same in Tampa as it is Miami, the Stadium's location and condition. The location of Tropicana Field is out of the way for the major population centers of the Bay area. The Rays hired the ABC baseball coalition to find the 3 best locations in Tampa Bay for a new stadium and two were in the city of Tampa, and one was in central Pinellas county (in between St Pete and Clearwater). None of these locations are really even close to the stadiums present location. If Tampa can secure a new baseball stadium in Tampa itself, where the Buccaneers and lightning have found success, and the new High speed rail between Tampa and Orlando is built, then Tampa Bay can support the Rays and they should remain right here.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
A while back from some friends on the inside,I heard that they were trying to establish a possible New Jersey team.Where they were going to play was yet to be determined but they told me the Meadowlands or possibly closer to the Newark area.
That would be tough....the population is definitely there, but I would think most AL fans in driving distance from there (North Jersey and the Poconos) are probably already Yankees fans.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
That would be tough....the population is definitely there, but I would think most AL fans in driving distance from there (North Jersey and the Poconos) are probably already Yankees fans.
......or Yankee haters. Many people are passionate about the pinstripes, they either love them or hate them. I think the Rays would do okay if they were to move somewhere between the Trenton and Toms River vicinity.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:57 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,557,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Most of you don't realize the issues in Tampa Bay and why their attendence is low. Its not because we don't have any interest in the Rays. Its not because we don't support them. The problem is the same in Tampa as it is Miami, the Stadium's location and condition. The location of Tropicana Field is out of the way for the major population centers of the Bay area. The Rays hired the ABC baseball coalition to find the 3 best locations in Tampa Bay for a new stadium and two were in the city of Tampa, and one was in central Pinellas county (in between St Pete and Clearwater). None of these locations are really even close to the stadiums present location. If Tampa can secure a new baseball stadium in Tampa itself, where the Buccaneers and lightning have found success, and the new High speed rail between Tampa and Orlando is built, then Tampa Bay can support the Rays and they should remain right here.

Well, Tropicana Field isn't exactly the Taj Mahal. I saw a plan not too long ago where a new stadium looked something like a sailboat --- an innovative roof design like none before here in the States. If Tampa can get it done, then there should be no trouble in keeping the Rays there.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:40 AM

319 posts, read 634,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
For those of you just tuning in, the Marlins' new ballpark is already under construction and is slated to open in 2012. As for Cuba, I will never support a team there, and I don't think anybody should. If the Rays do move, it should be to the west.
Oops, sorry, I missed the groundbreaking on that one. Good for Miami! I think it was a good move to make the capacity 37,000 so that if attendence doesn't tick up consistently, it won't look as horrible as it did at cavernous Joe Robbe (although in baseball configuration, isn't it right around 37,000?).

Old 02-03-2010, 12:35 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
Unless they go to Vancouver, I don't see any logical place they could move to. Maybe Indy or Charlotte but that's it.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:37 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeproud View Post
Oops, sorry, I missed the groundbreaking on that one. Good for Miami! I think it was a good move to make the capacity 37,000 so that if attendence doesn't tick up consistently...
I'm sitting here trying to decide if that's hilarious or frightening. The Dodgers moved out of Brooklyn because Ebbets Field (which had a capacity of slightly less than 37,000) was considered to be too small. Now a brand spanking new stadium with the same capacity is a "good move?"

Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,655 times
Not sure why people think communism in Cuba will die when Fidel does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball