Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:52 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

As I say about this time every year: Wait 'til Next Year!

Is there any hope for this team, the team I grew up with and root for all the time.

Is team owner Peter Angelos the problem? I sure think so.

Baltimore used to have great contenders in baseball. Even with a much smaller market, they had people at the upper levels of the organization that knew how to spot player talent and how to bring it along.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:10 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Depends what you mean by hope

The quality of the team is much better than it has been and should continue getting better the next few years. Weiters, Jones, Markakis, Roberts, Matusz...

They might be good enough to compete in the Central this year. They might be good enough to compete in the West the next few years. They aren't as good as the Rays, Sox or Yanks

This is the best 4th place team in the majors, by a long shot

Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Even though I'm a Phillies fan first and foremost, I do casually root for the Orioles and have for about 8 years...

I'm starting to wonder if the Orioles should fire Dave Trembley. I really wanted Trembley to do well, partly because he's a baseball lifer who paid his dues for a long time in the minors, partly because he managed the Harrisburg Senators, albeit before my time following that team. (I lived in Harrisburg for almost 8 years and saw the Senators play well over 100 times between 2000 and 2007.) The Orioles were not going to have a good record last season regardless who the manager was, but 64-98 was worse than they should have been IMO. Now the Orioles are off to the kind of start that can bury a team, with at least 3 brutal losses already (including last Friday's home opener). I don't think many people expect the Orioles to contend this season (I do not), but I think most people DO expect them to show noticeable improvement. The many close losses that have already happened aren't a good initial sign. I'd like to see Dave Trembley be the guy who leads the Orioles back to respectability and then excellence, but I'm beginning to have serious doubts if he can do the job.

On a slightly related note, the crowd at last Friday's home opener, after Mike Gonzalez blew the save in the 9th inning and cost the Orioles the game, was by far the most ornery Orioles crowd I've ever seen and experienced at OPACY. It really reminded me of a Phillies, Yankees, or Mets crowd when those teams are playing at home and play poorly and/or blow a game.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:38 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
The Orioles aren't that bad a team. Have you been watching? The Orioles should have at least 2 more wins if they have an average closer.

What they are probably going to have to do is go out and get a free agent pitcher to go with there offense. Weiters, Markakis, Jones, Reimold, Roberts, Tejada are all good hitters. Pitching is the problem.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:06 AM

444 posts, read 1,249,901 times
1-7...and last night hurt as much as the blown saves. Watching Brian mow the guys down inning after inning and get a ND. Bad thing is, they normally start out playing pretty decent (.500 or above) until at least June...Killer schedule to start the year.

It's not Trembly's fault. I really think he's the right manager. It's not his fault when the team is hitting .167 with RISP and the BP doesn't perform.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
1-7...and last night hurt as much as the blown saves. Watching Brian mow the guys down inning after inning and get a ND. Bad thing is, they normally start out playing pretty decent (.500 or above) until at least June...Killer schedule to start the year.

It's not Trembly's fault. I really think he's the right manager. It's not his fault when the team is hitting .167 with RISP and the BP doesn't perform.
Last night's game was a heartbreaker, the O's were up 3-0 after 7 full innings, then went on to lose in 11.

Tonight's game was even worse, Tampa beat the O's 9-1, hopping all over the O's in first few innings. Only 10,000 attended. Ouch.

Sportscasters over at Yahoo were highlighting the O's (and Astro's) as the two teams looking at a looooong dismal season.

Passan had an interesting stat in that video clip, 4 minutes in, where he said that over the past 25 years, only ONE team that has started 1-6 or worse has made it to the post-season. The O's are now 1-8. Wait till next year.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:42 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,027 times
Talk about frustrating. Year in and year out, the O's can never gain any ground in competing in the AL East. For me, those great Oriole teams of many years ago are now just simply that: a distant memory. As long as Peter Angelos continues to own this team, they will never go anywhere.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Talk about frustrating. Year in and year out, the O's can never gain any ground in competing in the AL East. For me, those great Oriole teams of many years ago are now just simply that: a distant memory. As long as Peter Angelos continues to own this team, they will never go anywhere.
Agree about Angelos. He's proven to be a lousy owner. Even Jeff Passan said so in that video clip (link in my prior posting) that the malaise in Baltimore is now stretching into decades, thanks to Angelos.

The O's lost yesterday to Oakland, making the O's 1-9 so far this season.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:26 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
It's not much better in DC. I think I going to take the "China" bus to NYC to watch the Mets and Yankees.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:34 AM

As Homer Simpson would say: "Doh, It's just gets worse and worse."
http://www.the-ocean.com/simpsons/homer/worse.wav

Today the O's are 1-10, with an 8-game losing streak. Yippee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball