Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 07:31 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,012,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
What the hell is this with this whole Kevin Brown situation?

His statement today.. Or his posts on social media.. Really seem to further backup that he was suspended for that graphic. And it makes management look even worse.

Why don't they just come out and say "We screwed up"?
Sounds like a bunch of unnecessary nonsense and drama to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2023, 11:30 AM

33,369 posts, read 12,677,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Good article in today's WaPo about Cal Ripken and "the streak." The 25th anniversary of the streak is coming up.

Excerpt: “My dad taught that being ‘an everyday player’ is literally every day,” Ripken said. “My rookie year reinforced it. We tied the Brewers after 161 games. But we lost the last game of the season.” After missing that trip to the AL Championship Series “we kept asking ourselves, ‘Where could we have made up that one game?’ Well, playing every day might help.” The search for that one extra win matters most when the challenge is hardest. “We played a 15-inning game in Boston one night, then had an early game the next day — 11 a.m. because of the Boston Marathon, I think,” Ripken said. “I was about 0 for 20, and Roger [Clemens] was pitching. That’s the game to take off, right? “No. I got two hits, singled to drive in the go-ahead run and we beat him. The game was most gratifying when you pushed yourself through.”

Another example of why I'm an Orioles fan, no matter where I live.
I'm in the Houston metro. I love the Astros, but if they are playing the Giants or the A's (unless one or both of those teams have essentially been eliminated), I'll root for the Giants/A's.

IIRC, the Astros are headed for Baltimore later today.

Hopefully the Astros will sweep .

Old 08-18-2023, 12:56 PM

26,299 posts, read 49,231,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I'm in the Houston metro. I love the Astros, but if they are playing the Giants or the A's (unless one or both of those teams have essentially been eliminated), I'll root for the Giants/A's.

IIRC, the Astros are headed for Baltimore later today.

Hopefully the Astros will sweep .
You meanie!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:53 PM

4,353 posts, read 3,572,193 times
Like it or not, it's time for Adam Jones to retire. But he'll do so as an Oriole. We will miss him.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/ada...e-with-orioles

Old 09-09-2023, 08:41 PM

Must've been a wild game in Boston today; O's won 13-12. That's 7 wins in a row.
O's, 13 runs on 14 hits, including 5 HRs and 4 LOB.
Sox, 12 runs on 23 hits, including 1 HR and 14 LOB.

Not to mention a 92-minutes rain delay.

O's have won 90 games, Atlanta 92.

Old 09-18-2023, 01:16 PM

Okay, the Orioles have clinched a spot in the playoffs; splitting a 4-game set with Tampa Bay (who also clinched a playoff spot) and now two games in first place ahead of Tampa Bay.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:47 PM

18,265 posts, read 25,958,707 times
I'm loving the Orioles where they are at, it's been SO long since they have been a champion!

Old 09-20-2023, 12:40 PM

I love it too, a very long time coming.

Fingers crossed they can win today's game vs the Astros, which would give them a sweep of a serious playoff team.

Meeeeeeenwhile .... the O's future looks promising.

The NY Times “Athletic” has named Jackson Holliday the MLB Prospect of the Year. It had this to say:

Quote:
Who else could it be? Holliday started the year in Low-A Delmarva and finished with Triple-A Norfolk, hitting .322/.441/.499 across 4 levels, with averages over .310 and OBPs over .420 everywhere except his last stop, all at age 19. Even for Norfolk, he’s still walked more than he’s struck out and has just a 13.6 percent strikeout rate with a week left in the season. His OBP was the highest for any teenager who played enough to qualify in a full-season league, his batting average was second, his slugging percentage fifth.

Taken first overall in the 2022 draft, Holliday exceeded everyone’s expectations in his first full pro season, doing absolutely everything on both sides of the ball except hitting for power, and really, if he never develops any more power than he has right now he’ll probably still be a star. Of course, there’s almost certainly more power to come, just given his age, frame, and his baby face — does he even have to shave every day yet?

The Orioles have moved him all around the infield, but I’ve seen him a few times at shortstop and have zero doubts about his ability to stay there in the long term. (I appear to have seen his only game at third base while he was in High A. He looked like a shortstop.) I imagine the interest in his younger brother, Ethan, in the 2025 draft will be off the charts, given how advanced a player Jackson has turned out to be.

It was truly a great year for hitters in the Orioles’ system, with Coby Mayo going .288/.408/.564 between Double and Triple A at age 21, and Samuel Basallo going .313/.402/.551 at age 18 (!) between Low A, High A, and a week at Double A. I could easily have filled this whole column with Orioles players as a bit, but also been quite serious about the players I discussed.

Old 09-26-2023, 04:05 PM

Brooks Robinson died today, he was 86. Spent a whole career with one team, won numerous awards, and was a fixture in Baltimore.

I saw him once in person at the Hollywood Theater in Arbutus, MD, where I grew up. It was about 1957 or 1958. I can't recall the reason he was there, might've been the movie Damn Yankees, but he was resplendent in a 3-piece suit with gold watch and chain.

Excerpt from Wiki:

A 15-time All-Star, he won 16 consecutive Gold Glove Awards, setting a record later tied by Jim Kaat and broken by Greg Maddux. His 2,870 career games at third base not only exceeded the closest player by nearly 700 games when he retired, but also remain the most games by any player in major league history at a single position. His 23 seasons spent with a single team set a major league record since matched only by Carl Yastrzemski. . . . .

Old 09-26-2023, 04:15 PM

33,369 posts, read 12,677,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Okay, the Orioles have clinched a spot in the playoffs; splitting a 4-game set with Tampa Bay (who also clinched a playoff spot) and now two games in first place ahead of Tampa Bay.
Early last Saturday the Orioles weren't getting enough love from ESPN analytics. There was a post that gave the odds for various scenarios (including winning the World Series) for the potential teams.

The top two teams percentage chance wise re winning the World Series were the Braves and the Dodgers, both at 23%.

Next....the Rays and the Astros at 8%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball