Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 PM

26,269 posts, read 49,188,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Expect more pinstripes than birds in the stands these next few days. It seems like Boston is the only team that the O's have a shot against, but I feel even some O's fans would rather drive down to DC to see Strasburg tonight. I suppose some AAA clubs could compete against the O's, and some AAA stadiums are drawing better crowds than Camden Yards!
Man, you're reading my thoughts exactly. The O's just lost two to the Yankees and I was thinking they will probably lose to them again tonight, which is when the thought struck that the O's belong in Triple-A ball, where they might be able to play 500-baseball.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 02:18 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,907,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Can you say 110 losses? They appear headed that way now.
Yeah, no kidding. After watching this team for the last 3 days, their fans have my deepest empathy. The Mets organization doesn't seem quite as hapless to me now after seeing the O's.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:06 PM

Siss Boom Baah the O's have now won 20 games! Of course they've lost 52, have the worst record in baseball, and are on track to lose 117 this year. In 1962, the Mets were 20-52 after 72 games. The O's just might smash the 1962 Mets record of losing 120 games.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:58 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,213,058 times
I started another thread explaining how even though the Orioles had the worst won and loss record, the Pirates were actually the worst, but had been uncommonly fortunate in one run games. As if in an attempt to validate me, Pittsburg promptly embarked on a 12 game losing streak. The Piartes at that point had been outscored by the opposition by 128 runs, 34 worse than Baltimore's minus 96.

But....even during the Pirate losing streak, the Orioles managed to close the gap between them so that at the end of the Pirate losing streak, they were but minus 20 runs worse than the O's. (Stands at a minus 24 runs advantage for Pittsburg as of today.)

So, I think that we have to say that the honor of the worst team in baseball, 2010, is up for grabs.

The Pirates set an all time North American pro sports record last year by staging their 17th consecutive losing season, and are well positioned to make it 18 this season. But Baltimore is no piker in this area of achievement, their last winning season was 1997. So it is 12 straight sub .500 years with the 13th being pretty much already assured. (With 90 games remaining, Baltimore would need to go 61-29 the rest of the way in order to win 81 games. That is .678 ball.)

Among those 12 consecutive losing seasons, the Oriole's worst was 2001 when they went 63-98, .391 ball...and still finished 4th in the division since this was before Tampa Bay became a tiger. Instead of turning the team around after 12 frustrating years, they are staging their worst season ever in Baltimore. The .277 ball they are currently playing projects to a 45-117 record. The previous worst season in Maryland had been their first..1954 when they went 54-100, .351 ball.

If you add in the St. Louis Browns years, even they never played as bad as .277 ball, their worst being 1939 when they went 43-111, .279 ball.

So if someone tries to tell you that Baltimore is in a rut, you can proudly point out that it is not so....they are still descending and looking to establish a new bottom.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:12 PM

Well, fickle fate has me eating a few words today...

The O's have now won 4 straight and just SWEPT three games from their local rivals the Washington Nationals, also a last place team.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:35 PM

Since I last wrote, the O's have selected a new manager, Buck Showalter (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-orioles-showalterhired - broken link), who assumes his duties on 03 Aug 2010.

They have been playing a bit better of late, i.e., fewer blowouts and more 1-run games, but still have the worst record in baseball.

Here's an old topic, the RBI title from 1961. Seems the title that year went to Roger Maris, but an error in the scoring of games has been found which reduces Maris' total by one RBI, put Roger Maris and the O's Jim Gentile into a tie for the RBI title that year. Amazing stuff. It seems the O's should do something to reward Gentile, if for no other reason than some very good publicity during a rather dreary season for O's fans. Jim Gentile's salary in 1961 was $15,000 (for the ENTIRE season, not just one game like we see today).

Old 08-01-2010, 02:54 PM

18,255 posts, read 25,934,703 times
The thing about the Oriole season that I remember the most is that they came in third behind New York and Detroit. They actually won more games than the Cincinnati Reds, who won the National League pennant winning 93 games that year. The Orioles won 95. Surprisingly, Gentile couldn't duplicate a year like he had in 1961, eventually being traded to Kansas City. But he sure put up the stats in '61!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:23 AM

444 posts, read 1,253,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here's an old topic, the RBI title from 1961. Seems the title that year went to Roger Maris, but an error in the scoring of games has been found which reduces Maris' total by one RBI, put Roger Maris and the O's Jim Gentile into a tie for the RBI title that year. Amazing stuff. It seems the O's should do something to reward Gentile, if for no other reason than some very good publicity during a rather dreary season for O's fans. Jim Gentile's salary in 1961 was $15,000 (for the ENTIRE season, not just one game like we see today).

Suffering O's fan here in SC...(With the EI package to watch them most nights)

Heard on the tv the other night that Gentile was told he would have rec'd another $500 if he led the league in RBI's. Announcer said the O's should make it up to them. Anyone else see PA doing that? LOL...

IT"S "SHOW" TIME!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
IT"S "SHOW" TIME!
TWO IN A ROW!

Albers tried to give it away last night, but lineup is scoring some runs! Matsuz with 9 runs of support!? I'm sure he was thrilled.

Keep trying to impress the new manager guys...

Old 08-10-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
TWO IN A ROW!

Albers tried to give it away last night, but lineup is scoring some runs! Matsuz with 9 runs of support!? I'm sure he was thrilled.

Keep trying to impress the new manager guys...
6 of 7!!!!!!!! O-R-I-O-L-E-S Magic is back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball