Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times

Advertisements

New York
Maryland
Texas
California
Illinois (mainly Chicago)
New jersey (though only Bergen/Essex/Hudson counties. Think St. Patrick's/St. Anthony's).
All bring in a lot of talent.

The Maryland area gets overlooked. Guess where the prohibitive favorite for NBA MVP came from?? That's right, a Maryland suberb of DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 PM

266 posts, read 410,525 times
Don't know why Pennsylvania is not mentioned more. According to Basketball-Reference.com PA has the fourth most NBA/ABA players from it behind California, New York, and Illinois. Hall of Famers from PA include Wilt Chamberlain, Pete Marivich, Earl Monroe, Paul Arizon, Jack Twyman, Maurice Stokes, Bob Davies, Tom Gola, Buddy Jeannette among others and that doesn't even include guys that were born in other places but grew up in PA. Current NBA players include Kobe Bryant (future hall of famer), Tyreke Evans, Rip Hamilton, Kyle Lowry, Jameer Nelson, and Rasheed Wallace among plenty others. There are about 25 guys in the NBA right now from PA or about 7% of league.

PA also is huge in college basketball. Philadelphia has the big 5 (Temple, St. Joe's, Drexel, La Salle, and Penn) and the city 6 (all those schools plus Villanova). I don't know another city that has that many good college teams. Then throw Pitt and Duquesne in there from Pittsburgh. You can also throw in small schools like Bucknell, Saint Francis, and Lehigh (who has one of the nations best players in CJ McCollum) who make NCAA tournaments every once in a while and you have about 11 schools (or 12 if you include Penn State which isn't that good but plays in a big conference) that could realistically make the NCAA tournament on any given year. Usually about 5 to 7 schools from PA will actually make it.

High school basketball is also good. PA usually has a few teams ranked in the top 25 nationally every year. Chester High School is probably the top public high school basketball team in the country over the last 5 years which is really saying something considering the fact that some of there best players (i.e. Tyreke Evans) went to private school instead. The Philadelphia public leagues and catholic leagues are some of the toughest in the country.

Then on the proffesional level the 76ers, after Boston and LA, are one of the most storied franchises in the NBA (third most playoff wins and a bunch of legendary players like Wilt Chamberlain, Hal Greer, Paul Arizin, Julius Erving, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson among others)

I really think the mecca of basketball is the BosWash area. Mainly the area from DC to NYC. Even though there is a lot of people living in this region the amount of great players from this area compared to the population is disproportionately high. Three of the top five players in the NBA are from this area (Kobe, Durant and Carmelo). I added Boston in there just because basketball was invented in Massachusetts and thats where the hall of fame is. Also, there are a rediculous amount of legendary coaches from PA and this region in general.

Not saying that PA is neccessarily number one but it has to be top five. I'd say you could make a case for New York, Illinois, California, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Indiana, New Jersey, Louisiana, and Kentucky (which I believe has the most NBA/ABA players from it per capita)

NBA & ABA Player Birth Places | Basketball-Reference.com

Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
Don't know why Pennsylvania is not mentioned more.
I think you answered your own question. Philadelphia is important for hoops. PA is not. Same with NYC vs. NY State.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Is Indiana overrated? I'd say so.
https://aegoals.com/why-is-indiana-s...ut-basketball/

Might want to have a read of that there Weeny...and don't tell me history doesn't matter. It definitely matters. It's generational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball