Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM

77,798 posts, read 59,953,151 times

Advertisements

Also, Malone was considered one of the better all-time defensive big-men for his position.

Malone is comparable to Tim Duncan....not Carmelo Anthony.
It's really laughable. Seriously? Malone is a first ballot HOF'er.

Why not compare Carmelo to Pippen which is also laughable but they played similar positions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,270,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Also, Malone was considered one of the better all-time defensive big-men for his position.

Malone is comparable to Tim Duncan....not Carmelo Anthony.
It's really laughable. Seriously? Malone is a first ballot HOF'er.

Why not compare Carmelo to Pippen which is also laughable but they played similar positions?
I agree Carmelo plays the 3 spot or small forward for the Nuggets. Kenyon Martin is their starting power forward (When he's healthy).

Karl Malone is the best power forward to play the game, period.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 AM

3,321 posts, read 7,934,463 times
Malone is the best PF ever. Duncan gets called that alot but I consider Duncan more of a Center than a PF considering he is 7'0. I blame the massive devaluation of the center position in the last 5 years. When you look at the league now, the only three real contenders have three of the best center cores. Lakers with Buyum and Gasol. Celtics with O'Neal and Perkins. Magic with Howard and Gortat. I say the Magic have the best duo since they are the healthiest.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:35 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,680,649 times
This really is an apples to oranges comparison. They're so fundamentally different as players, in addition to playing two separate positions. And having said that, Karl Malone is one of the top 20 players to play the game. Incredibly durable, efficient, the only real black mark on his career was that he was below par in his finals matchups against the Bulls. But this really isn't much of a question. Malone, easily....

Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 AM

15 posts, read 15,606 times
The Mailman.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
This really is an apples to oranges comparison. They're so fundamentally different as players, in addition to playing two separate positions. And having said that, Karl Malone is one of the top 20 players to play the game. Incredibly durable, efficient, the only real black mark on his career was that he was below par in his finals matchups against the Bulls. But this really isn't much of a question. Malone, easily....
I wouldn't say the mailman was below par vs. the Bulls. This was back when I lived in Chicago and would watch almost every one of their games each year.

He not only had Rodman guarding him, he had Jordan and Pippen hound him and the mailmans great defense was less useful that series because Rodman didn't score much.

The problem with that series (and it was a dogfight) was that Jeff Hornacek had old bad knees and the Bulls had Pippen-Jordan-Harper. While Harper wasn't in his prime anymore he use to be a good primary scorer so essentially the Bulls took it right at Hornacek as much as possible with whomever.

That may have been the best Bulls team they fielded and the mailman carried Utah past a brutal western conference to the finals. They just happened to run into one of the top nba teams of all-time.

Fun Finals to watch, you arguably had 4 guys on the court that would be on most peoples all-time NBA 1st-2nd team. Stockton-Jordan-Pippen-Malone....wow...give me Olajuwon on that squad and you have a squad that would beat just about anyone.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I wouldn't say the mailman was below par vs. the Bulls. This was back when I lived in Chicago and would watch almost every one of their games each year.

Well, whatever the reasons, he wasn't quite up to his normal standard. I'm not saying he outright sucked.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Well, whatever the reasons, he wasn't quite up to his normal standard. I'm not saying he outright sucked.
Fair enough. In looking back at it you do make a point.

Karl Malone 1996-97 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

Malone put up 23.5pts and almost 12 rebs a game vs. Houston in the prior series and then 24/10 vs. the Bulls but those numbers are pulled up by a single 37pt. game.

vs. the Bulls he did struggle more than I remembered but then again, Dennis Rodman was able to rest offensively and put 100% in on the defensive end of the court on malone.

Jordan was just insane....32pts, 7 rebs, 6 assists that series.
Michael Jordan 1996-97 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

Rodmans number for that series were WAYYYY below his season averages and his performance in the ECF as Malone basically dominated him but Rodman managed to take just enough off Malones game to keep him in check while Jordan ran amok.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:19 PM

One thing I recall from that series( maybe it was the second series in 98), but Malone was missing alot of gimme jumpers that he normally makes too. By that time he was primarily a jumpshooter, while Rodman was playing good defense, part of it was Malone missing shots he normally made, even when Rodman wasn't on him. I actually have the 98 series on tape, will have to pull it out at some point and check out a few games...

Old 12-16-2010, 07:07 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,159,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Karl Malone is the best power forward to play the game, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Malone is the best PF ever. Duncan gets called that alot but I consider Duncan more of a Center than a PF considering he is 7'0.
Now this is a far more interesting thread than the OP's question. Is Malone the best ever?

First off I'll dismiss the notion that Duncan isn't a power forward because of his height, unless we want to dismiss guys like Garnett and Nowitzki too. Duncan is a F/C he's proven he can play both positions well so I'm comfortable bringing him into consideration as the best PF ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball