Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:45 PM

36 posts, read 298,315 times

Advertisements

I have watched basketball all my life and I can't figure out what this is. I see it in the box score, usually each team gets no more than one or two of these per game. What is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
Probably a rebound where the stat keeper missed the number of the player who actually got it. So instead of just not recording it, it gets thrown into a catch all. I'm just guessing though.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:33 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,015 times
Stormcrow is correct. If the scorer can't tell it is given to the "team" as according to the rules of basketball, all missed shots must have a rebound. I think it can also mean when a shot is missed and 2 players on opposite teams go for the ball and it is knocked out of bounds. No one really gets the rebound but it still needs to be recorded.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:17 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,381 times
Wow you learn something new everyday. But I would figure if the scorer missed it, they could go back after the game and award the rebound to whoever really got it. Instead of just giving it to the team.

Is that even a rebound if no one really got the ball and it goes out of bounds?

Sorry for being so cynical, never heard of team rebounds before.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:50 AM
ABM

339 posts, read 992,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Wow you learn something new everyday. But I would figure if the scorer missed it, they could go back after the game and award the rebound to whoever really got it. Instead of just giving it to the team.

Is that even a rebound if no one really got the ball and it goes out of bounds?

Sorry for being so cynical, never heard of team rebounds before.
From what I've heard, EVERY missed shot necessarily requires an ensuing rebound. So, yes, even if a missed shot or free throw goes out of bounds, it still gets a "team" rebound....to one team or the other, depending. (i.e. if the missed shot gets tipped, then goes out of bounds.)

Trivia Question: If team shoots a last second shot immediately before the clock expires, is a team rebound then attributed after the fact?

Old 04-08-2008, 10:40 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post
From what I've heard, EVERY missed shot necessarily requires an ensuing rebound. So, yes, even if a missed shot or free throw goes out of bounds, it still gets a "team" rebound....to one team or the other, depending. (i.e. if the missed shot gets tipped, then goes out of bounds.)

Trivia Question: If team shoots a last second shot immediately before the clock expires, is a team rebound then attributed after the fact?
I would say yes and it would be given to the non-shooting team. If each shot that misses necessitates a rebound be given then this should would also since the shot if made would have counted.

In the case of a missed shot that goes out of bounds: ff it were tipped and then proceeded out of bounds, would the team rebound be awarded to the tipping team who would also then also be given a turnover despite never having clear possession?

Old 04-08-2008, 01:18 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post

Thanks, I learn something new everyday.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:18 PM
ABM

339 posts, read 992,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
...In the case of a missed shot that goes out of bounds: ff it were tipped and then proceeded out of bounds, would the team rebound be awarded to the tipping team who would also then also be given a turnover despite never having clear possession?
I would say no. I think clear possession would be the rule. Same as a tipped pass. There's no turnover issued in that case, either

Old 04-20-2008, 12:23 PM
T-8

23 posts, read 107,300 times
Talking What the heck is it ??

You guys are just overarguing.

A team rebound is simply a board catched by the ten hands that make any playing five.

You don't believe me ?

It has happened to me - back in 1998 - when the power forward I was against missed a shot from middle post. All of us, we were close to the rim, and all of us jumped at the same time, catching that damned board.
In a few seconds, due to the worst ballhandling I've ever seen in my life, that board turned into a turnover.

Damn the baseline and the one who has drown it...

Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,141 times
I believe that a rebound that hits the rim and then goes out of bounds after not touching anyone is a dead ball rebound. That sounds to me like what you guys are mostly talking about. Perhaps one thing that fits in the team rebound category is when Team A (player A1) attempts a shot that misses, and B1 tries to rebound it, but it goes off his/her hands out of bounds. That would be Team A's ball, even though no player actually touched it from Team A. Likewise, perhaps if A1 attempts a shot, misses, but B1 fouls A2 over the back trying to get the rebound, then perhaps it goes as a team rebound because A2 never actually got the rebound (or perhaps even touched the ball).

I officiated basketball for 33 years, but I never kept stats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball