Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:19 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times

Advertisements

KSL: Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan to resign | Deseret News

According to the Deseret News, Jazz head coach Jerry Sloan is set to resign Thursday afternoon at a press conference.

Assistant coach Phil Johnson is set to resign as well, according to the report.

As we noted earlier, Sloan had a closed-door meeting with GM Kevin O'Conner after Wednesday's loss to the Bulls, and it's looking like such a resignation was potentially discussed then.

It's possible assistant Ty Corbin -- who's been previously mentioned as a possible head coach candidate when other jobs had become avaliable -- might assume the head-coaching job for the rest of the season.

It's also possible the Jazz could look to hire someone with more head-coaching experience in the summer -- such as Portland's Nate McMillan, who's contract with the Blazers is up after this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,646 times
Wow, no ****?? Sloan must be the longest tenured coach in all of professional sports.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 PM

what is odd is he just agreed to a 1 year contract renewal like 2 weeks ago.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:57 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
Deteriorating relationship with Deron Williams blamed for the resignation:

Sloan and Williams clashed at halftime of Wednesday's loss to the Bulls. At least two members of the Jazz feared Sloan and Williams would physically fight, but the confrontation ended before reaching that point.

Sloan’s relationship with Williams had grown progressively worse over the course of the season, league sources said.

Confrontation With Williams Led To Sloan's Departure - RealGM Wiretap

Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,116 times
It seems like Deron Williams is the problem, not the coach.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:33 PM

927 posts, read 1,389,942 times
Sloan is a terrific coach. Whatever argument he had with Williams must have been a bad one if his resigning was the end result. I only hope he gets another chance to coach somewhere.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,221 times
Rocket's fan here.

Lord knows Rockets fan hate the Jazz, but Jerry Sloan is a class act. I don't think Deron Williams would have been the star he became in any other system but Sloan's.

I am sure he will have a plethora of job offers by the time the season is over.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 PM

honestly i think sloan is done. i think he took that argument and said "i been doing this a long time, im an old man now, i dont need this ****"

if he was not already thinking about retiring, i dont think he would be. that argument maybe put him over the top but he is to strong willed to just say i quit over a player relationship. he is a no nonsense guy and he was planning this leave no doubt. the opportunity just reared its head is all.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Weird, I didn't think it would be D Wills style to force out a coach like this. He always seemed like not the most athletic guy that got by on brains and hard work, and usually ego doesnt go with that. I'll be interested to read more on this.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:09 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Default Hate to see any coach disrespected

Jerry Sloan is 68, but looks older. One wonders if he had a stroke by the way he appears. Utah was a good team under his system, but they could never be a great team. They could never reach that next level to win a championship. They came close with Malone and Stockton, but there were some obvious limitations with Sloan's system.

I don't think there is ever a situation where a player would be justified in confronting, threatening, or questioning a coach. Respect is paramount. I don't care who it is. Deron Williams apparently did this, and I don't like it It's very disrespectful and I think it says more about Williams than Sloan or Sloan's system. Williams has serious problems. I hope that in short time, his issues reveal themselves and he is booted out of the league. He never looked like much of an athlete to me and I was never impressed with his game despite his success.

Thousands of talented players waiting for their shot in the NBA who could replace the disrespectful SOB Williams, people who are willing to do their best under any system. Williams is very expendable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball