Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times

Advertisements

I always respected Charlie Rosen's perspective on these matters. Interesting take he has on this deal and I tend to agree with him.

Rosen: Carmelo Anthony won't help Knicks win - NBA News | FOX Sports on MSN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:16 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The Bulls would destroy the Knicks. Now if they start adding pieces and emphasize defense then yeah....down the road maybe but even then I don't see Amare and Carmelo changing their spots at this point in their career. (In his defense Carmelo is not a bad defender, just not good IMO)
Destroy is too strong of a word. The Bulls would be favored, but this NYK would still be one of the toughest 6 seeds to come out of the EC in a long time. Not to mention the Knicks are 2-0 vs the Bulls...In both games they were extremely efficent on the offesnive end and this year the Bulls aren't really winning a lot of 120-110 games type games. Would the Knicks score 120 every game, of course not, but they are a talented enough team to make them a first round annoynace.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:10 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times
Yep, I agree with Rosen. I think Melo is overrated since, really, all he does is score. And, I think you can say the same thing about Amare. Who is going to play defense? Heck, I know, who is even going to coach defense? Plus, can the Knicks even afford another top flight player in the coming years?

I know you have to give up something to get something, but I think the Knicks gave up too much depth...

Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 AM

78,406 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Destroy is too strong of a word. The Bulls would be favored, but this NYK would still be one of the toughest 6 seeds to come out of the EC in a long time. Not to mention the Knicks are 2-0 vs the Bulls...In both games they were extremely efficent on the offesnive end and this year the Bulls aren't really winning a lot of 120-110 games type games. Would the Knicks score 120 every game, of course not, but they are a talented enough team to make them a first round annoynace.
The Knicks shot 16-24 and 12-22 from 3pt range in those games. Suffice to say that if they can do that in the playoffs we will be looking at the next NBA champs.

Annoyance, ok I agree there and yes destroy is too strong of a word.

They won't be a threat to go deep in the playoffs until they replace their pieces.

They won't be a threat to win a championship unless they start playing D.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I always respected Charlie Rosen's perspective on these matters. Interesting take he has on this deal and I tend to agree with him.

I guess it depends on the timeframe and definition of "win".

The Knicks were a barely .500 club in the weaker east. They probably won't be a TON better after the trade (short term) but after they re-load some role players (longer term) I think they will be notably better, depends whom they add.

Carmelo is a HECKUVA lot better than the previous 2nd best Knick and you can only get 5 guys on the court at a time. I think they can generally replace the guys they lost but it will take a year or two.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:56 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,777 times
Well, it's about time. I guess it's safe to mention the Knicks are now a playoff contender.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Knicks where playoff bound anyway

Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
Well, it's about time. I guess it's safe to mention the Knicks are now a playoff contender.
They were already the 6th seed and making the playoffs in the east means you didn't even win half your games.

Personally, I would laugh my butt off if the Knicks struggle with the new arrangement (look at Miami's early woes) because then the NY Media and casual bandwagoners would pitch a fit.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

Yep, this echos a lot of what I've been saying but (and for the record I hate the Knicks) I'm more optimistic about their future than he is.

They need more talent and A LOT more defense if they are going to be anything but a 5-8 seed for years in the top heavy east.

It will be interesting to see if Melo and Amare can make the transition.

CP is a very good defender so if they can get him perhaps he can impose his will on the team along with a new coach. In short, this Knicks squad has a long long way to go.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,888 times
Seems like the Knicks are moving up in the East, but I'm not sure if they are gonna be able to beat the Heat or the C's in a 7 game series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball