Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I'm a realist, Toxic, and I'd bet a healthy sum that I've been a Pacers fan a lot longer than you. I want to see this team do well. But if you and your co-workers truly believed they would knock out the Bulls, then you guys are not any better fans than I. You're just delusional.
What are you trying to prove? That Pacers fans are delusional for actually thinking the team will do well?

Quote:
I do sense that the passion for the Pacers is returning and that the performance in this series is helping that. But the fact that there were still about 3,000 tickets left early this week speaks volumes about the interest level that was there at the time.
The Colts had trouble selling out the playoff game against the Jets this year, and there were quite a few Jet fans at that game. As recently as 2004 the Colts struggled to sell out the NFL's smallest venue. I think that speaks volumes about the caliber of fans the Colts have in this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Again, hats off to the pacers for giving the Bulls 3-straight dog fights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Toxic- Pacers played awesome all 3 games so far. Id be real happy if I were a Pacers fan.
I wish your Bulls well going forward.

Quote:
I don't know what happened on that last play, I'm very interested in breaking down the replay later. Just got home from a bar in Wrigleyville (barf @ cubs country) and am curious to see more.
I haven't watched a replay yet myself, but it seemed clear that the 3-point shot was a called shot. Granger and Collison did not seem to even be looking inside, they were just bouncing around at the 3 point line not really doing anything. Then Granger just chucks up that shot, it was terrible. I don't know.

Cheers to the real NBA fans here, see you next year.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:15 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
TVSG- own up to your statements please

Toxic- Pacers played awesome all 3 games so far. Id be real happy if I were a Pacers fan.

Mathguy- This feels like the 1990 playoffs, doesn't it???

GO BULLS
It does. I must say though that the way the Bulls seem to struggle on offense at times is problematic. However, their defense and rebounding is just absolutely top notch.

It almost seems like they are being a little tentative on offense, perhaps a little tight which would be part of the lack of playoff experience.

I think the #1 seed is more valuable to them just to get some more playoff experience before they start running into some of the teams that have the higher levels of experience\talent.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
What are you trying to prove? That Pacers fans are delusional for actually thinking the team will do well?

The Colts had trouble selling out the playoff game against the Jets this year, and there were quite a few Jet fans at that game. As recently as 2004 the Colts struggled to sell out the NFL's smallest venue. I think that speaks volumes about the caliber of fans the Colts have in this city.
In defense of both the Colts and Pacers (and many other teams) Let's not forget that with the economy where it is....many franchises across various sports are having trouble with ticket sales.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 AM

207 posts, read 353,773 times
The Pacers and their fans should be proud of what has been accomplished this year. Yeah they're down 0-3 in this series. But look at the numbers, they finished 25 games behind the Bulls during the regular season in the standings, yet they only lost by 4, 6, and 5 in those 3 playoff losses. Although this series isnt over yet, this a good note to end the season on and to build on for next season.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Seriously, you are all over the place....from 20pt wins to guaranteed to hopeless losses.

Really, when you haven't seriously followed the NBA before....perhaps the best course of action is to just LEARN and not make wild claims and then do a 180 shortlty thereafter?

I can applaud your passion, but you might want to tone it down a bit?

Again, hats off to the pacers for giving the Bulls 3-straight dog fights.

I turned the game on and at the beginning the crowd was not pumped and they were no help to the Pacers at all. Game 3 the crowd is supposed to be hype and making it feel like a Pascers home game but they were just sitting there like they knew the Pacers ould lose. And I turned the game off because the Crowd turned me off. You would never see that in Portlandor Oklahoma city

Old 04-22-2011, 09:36 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

I'm saying that just because a lot of Pacers fans may not have displayed a lot of enthusiasm for this series, or believed that the Pacers were going to get rolled, doesn't make them less of a fan (re: your comment, "real fans."). Not everyone is a blind die-hard.

I'm not sure why you're bringing the Colts into the discussion as this is an NBA thread. But upon reflection, I think you unknowlingly acknowledged my point. As with the Pacers, the Colts regular season performance led to low playoff expectations, and that was reflected in the number of season ticket holders who renewed their seats for the playoffs. I must contend, however, having been at both playoff games against the Jets, that I think there more surprisingly more Jets fans at the AFC Championship Game after the 2009 season.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotchildintheCity View Post
The Pacers and their fans should be proud of what has been accomplished this year. Yeah they're down 0-3 in this series. But look at the numbers, they finished 25 games behind the Bulls during the regular season in the standings, yet they only lost by 4, 6, and 5 in those 3 playoff losses. Although this series isnt over yet, this a good note to end the season on and to build on for next season.
The typical margin of victory during the regular season for a top level NBA team is 6-7pts.

The average margin so far this series is 5. It would be 6 if TJ Ford hadn't landed the 3/4 court shot in game 2.

So basically, the margin of victory is actually close to what one might reasonably predict going into the series.

I guess what I'm saying is that some wildly enthusiastic, trolling or just noobish NBA fans got carried away with predictions of the Bulls winning every night by 10-20pts. That these crazy predictions didn't come true I don't think we can use as validation.

I'm impressed at how hard the Pacers fought, not really the result which is generally in-line with reasonable expectations.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
I would normally say it's no need for the Pacers and Sixers to win Game 4 but since I enjoy having as many games as possible each day, why not prolong the series a bit?

That way it wil be a game on Monday and Tuesday night

Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I'm saying that just because a lot of Pacers fans may not have displayed a lot of enthusiasm for this series, or believed that the Pacers were going to get rolled, doesn't make them less of a fan (re: your comment, "real fans."). Not everyone is a blind die-hard.

I'm not sure why you're bringing the Colts into the discussion as this is an NBA thread. But upon reflection, I think you unknowlingly acknowledged my point. As with the Pacers, the Colts regular season performance led to low playoff expectations, and that was reflected in the number of season ticket holders who renewed their seats for the playoffs. I must contend, however, having been at both playoff games against the Jets, that I think there more surprisingly more Jets fans at the AFC Championship Game after the 2009 season.
Let us say that after the Colts wild card loss, someone that was supposed to be one of your own was talking about how no one Indianapolis thought the Colts had a chance and no one Indianapolis really was interested anyway, and Colts fans that thought the Colts would win the game were delusional. I am guessing your reaction would not be favorable. Get it now?

Anyway, it has been a tough series, I will leave this thread to those teams that are heading to the second round. See everyone next year, hopefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball