Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times

Advertisements

We list the best players a lot on this forum... but who are the most overrated players? My list..

1) Steve Nash (didnt deserve his MVP's)
2) Allen Iverson (do I even need to say anything)
3) Joe Dumars (not HOF, look at his numbers)
4) Bob Cousy (he shot 38%... not acceptable)
5) Tim Duncan (I'm just a hater of his game... lol, not a good reason)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:17 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
We list the best players a lot on this forum... but who are the most overrated players? My list..

1) Steve Nash (didnt deserve his MVP's)
2) Allen Iverson (do I even need to say anything)
3) Joe Dumars (not HOF, look at his numbers)
4) Bob Cousy (he shot 38%... not acceptable)
5) Tim Duncan (I'm just a hater of his game... lol, not a good reason)
i can agree with everyone except duncan. hate all you want but you have to respect what the guy has done and how well he has done it with pure class and professionalism.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
I don't think Duncan is head and shoulders above the other great power forwards like Garnett, Malone, Barkley, from a pure talent perspective. But, you can't argue with 4 rings soooo... my question would be, if you removed the championships from the equation and judged strictly on floor game, who's the best power forward? Actually let's extend that to other positions as well.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:18 AM

433 posts, read 875,898 times
Duncan is a victim of the Karl Malone syndrome... boring as hell to watch but you had to respect his game... His bank shot was unstoppable. Currently I think the most overrated person in the league is Andrew Bynum.. He serves a purpose for sure but people talk as if he is going to be a perrinial all star

Old 06-01-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i can agree with everyone except duncan. hate all you want but you have to respect what the guy has done and how well he has done it with pure class and professionalism.
Agreed.... That's why I didnt have a legit reason for Duncan. I just hate his game. 4 rings is HUGE... i definitely respect the guy. Although, I think he should be considered a center. But that's another debate...

And as Greg1977 eluded too... if we ranked all power forwards on talent he's prob not top 3. And he definitely has the most rings of any of the top guys.

So that's why i have him on my list...

Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM

8 posts, read 7,381 times
Yup idk how Andrew Bynum is overrated you saw how great he played vs Dallas it was Pau who choked ya prob Pau is the one who is overrated.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I don't think Duncan is head and shoulders above the other great power forwards like Garnett, Malone, Barkley, from a pure talent perspective. But, you can't argue with 4 rings soooo... my question would be, if you removed the championships from the equation and judged strictly on floor game, who's the best power forward? Actually let's extend that to other positions as well.
duncan got the best of garnet head to head more often then not, as he did against malone (maybe not in malones prime when they played)
here are their numbers h2h
TD vs KG (numbers are almost identical BUT duncan won more games head to head)
Tim Duncan vs. Kevin Garnett | Basketball-Reference.com
TD vs KM (duncan won more games and had better numbers almost across the board)
Tim Duncan vs. Karl Malone | Basketball-Reference.com

here is where things get a bit subjective

TD vs CB (barkleys numbers look better but if i remember correctly duncan didnt play heads up on barkley, i could be wrong)
Tim Duncan vs. Charles Barkley | Basketball-Reference.com

TD vs hakeem (hakeem was not prime, but duncans numbers are pretty clearly better)
Tim Duncan vs. Hakeem Olajuwon | Basketball-Reference.com

Old 06-01-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Agreed.... That's why I didnt have a legit reason for Duncan. I just hate his game. 4 rings is HUGE... i definitely respect the guy. Although, I think he should be considered a center. But that's another debate...

And as Greg1977 eluded too... if we ranked all power forwards on talent he's prob not top 3. And he definitely has the most rings of any of the top guys.

So that's why i have him on my list...
duncan not top 3 on talent? so how did he get those rings luck? there is more to the game them jumping high, or shooting from distance. duncans pure fundamental soundness is nothing but talent. his IQ is talent. his bank shot is talent. you dont average 20.6 ppg and 11.4 rpg without great talent. malone had stockton to pass him the ball in perfect spots, duncan got passed the ball and created his own shot nearly every single play. i read somewhere (excuse me i am looking for it) that malone was assisted on something like 65% or 75% of his made baskets. barkley had talent, but he had more hustle then talent IMO. he reminds me of a much better blair, something blair could aspire to be.

i say take the rings away and TD is still top 3 easy. KG isnt in that mix, the guy has intensity and talent but he just doesnt have a winners mind set, the IQ isnt there IMO. this is what makes duncan better then them all, his BBIQ is super high, his talent is there, and he is just a winner. a winner in everything he did/does. i mean the guy was olympics bound in swimming before he even touched a basketball. you dont have that sort of ability without talents and the mental drive. WINNER before sheen came up with that.

duncans mom ingrained in him a winning drive, she used to tell him constantly "good better best, never let it rest until your good is better and your better is best". he was born and bread to win.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
duncan not top 3 on talent? so how did he get those rings luck? there is more to the game them jumping high, or shooting from distance. duncans pure fundamental soundness is nothing but talent. his IQ is talent. his bank shot is talent. you dont average 20.6 ppg and 11.4 rpg without great talent. malone had stockton to pass him the ball in perfect spots, duncan got passed the ball and created his own shot nearly every single play. i read somewhere (excuse me i am looking for it) that malone was assisted on something like 65% or 75% of his made baskets. barkley had talent, but he had more hustle then talent IMO. he reminds me of a much better blair, something blair could aspire to be.

i say take the rings away and TD is still top 3 easy. KG isnt in that mix, the guy has intensity and talent but he just doesnt have a winners mind set, the IQ isnt there IMO. this is what makes duncan better then them all, his BBIQ is super high, his talent is there, and he is just a winner. a winner in everything he did/does. i mean the guy was olympics bound in swimming before he even touched a basketball. you dont have that sort of ability without talents and the mental drive. WINNER before sheen came up with that.

duncans mom ingrained in him a winning drive, she used to tell him constantly "good better best, never let it rest until your good is better and your better is best". he was born and bread to win.
don't get all upset. It's just my opinion...

honestly, Duncan is just not important enough to me to even debate him. He's a completely forgettable player in my eyes...

Old 06-01-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
don't get all upset. It's just my opinion...

honestly, Duncan is just not important enough to me to even debate him. He's a completely forgettable player in my eyes...
oh no worries, i knew you where not a fan of the game but a fan of your people long before this thread. see if you where a fan of this game and knew more about it you would never consider duncan "forgettable"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball