Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:33 PM

83 posts, read 850,390 times

Advertisements

Who do they get rid of and get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 01:43 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman View Post
Who do they get rid of and get?

I have a feeling they will go after Dwight Howard for Gasol and Bynum

Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I'm not sure about Howard. He doesn't seem to be very versatile or creative with his play. He can certainly swat shots away, but I don't think he's known as a good passer like say Chris Webber. He doesn't appear to have a wide variety of shots like Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett. He also gets into fould trouble pretty quickly.

Not sure who the Lakers will get. But I think they need to get rid of Artest, Bynum, Odom, and Fisher. Gasol is suspect now as well, given his latest performance. Some serious problems there apparently between him and Kobe.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:54 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I have a feeling they will go after Dwight Howard for Gasol and Bynum
there have already been some rumors of bynum and odom for howard.

while its a possibility, i find it highly unlikely.

and that "riff" between gasol and kobe, apparently gasol is blaming kobe's wife for causing pau's smokin hot girl to break up with him. when you on team ugly like pau is, you surely dont want the hottest girl you ever laid your hands on to break up with you, especially not due to a "friends" wife.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:08 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Personally I think they should hold onto Odom, he's one of the more versatile players in the league, but he's one of their few valuable trade pieces.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
there have already been some rumors of bynum and odom for howard.

while its a possibility, i find it highly unlikely.

and that "riff" between gasol and kobe, apparently gasol is blaming kobe's wife for causing pau's smokin hot girl to break up with him. when you on team ugly like pau is, you surely dont want the hottest girl you ever laid your hands on to break up with you, especially not due to a "friends" wife.

then again, the Lakers are notorious for pulling off trades that are highly unlikely....

Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
then again, the Lakers are notorious for pulling off trades that are highly unlikely....
name one outside of the gasol gift. no teams are going to give them a gift like that again, especially not the orlando magic who are a bit stung by one all world HOF big man leaving them for the lights and glamor of Hollywood.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:51 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Good discussion first off, everyone should take a look at this chart. Also note the dollars shown are NOT the amount of cap space the player is taking up due to the increase rule that doesn't add to cap.

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Los Angeles Lakers

If you look at the list the big problems they have are artest and walton. Fisher to some extent but he isn't nuking their cap space and if they played him 20min a night as a 7th man he'd help their bench.

Bynum and Odom are a bit chunky in the contract department for what they offer but not horrible.

Basically, unless they get someone to do them a big big favor they are kinda stuck.....which is why they were unable to make moves since last year.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 AM

i think you have some of that messed up IMO. artest and walton yes i agree, fisher, ok fine but to me the number that sticks out is that ridiculous 30+ for kobe in 3 years. he has shown this season that he cant do it like he used to (like duncan on not to that extent but he is younger at a "softer" position). in 3 years is he 30 mil+ in value? hell no hes not. gasols contract is fair value IMO, 3 years from now is he a 19m player, maybe. bynums contract is way to high for a guy who averages 55 games a season over his career and with his knees he might not even make it to sign a new contract. i think this limits his trade value as teams have to ask, is what he gives worth the risk AND the money. out of all those contracts lamar odom is IMO by far the best value. the guy is as versatile as they come, and if push comes to shove he has a ton of value with a contract that isnt hard to swallow. think about it, the guy is the 6th man of the year no doubt, he plays WELL at 2 positions, has size and length and can handle the ball as well. on top of all that, he has a team option after next season so if by chance he regresses so bad he is worthless, you just dont pick up his option. on top of that, his salary GOES DOWN after next season if you do pick up the option.

to me the worst contracts are easy artest and waltons ridiculous contracts, steve blakes contract isnt MUCH better, but kobes greed and jerry buss's willingness to feed that greed has at this point killed the lakers salary hopes. the lakers are paying 92m next season and dont even have a full roster of contracts. put it this way, the spurs could pay d howard out right what he is worth (20m +/-) and keep all their people this year and not pay as much as what the lakers are paying. hell think about this, the lakers are at 91m this season and they are out, the chicago bulls are paying 55 mil and they are still going. that is almost half for a team that is arguably more talented and is definitely getting more value this season title or not. the thunder are at 57m.

the lakers will have no choice but to give up a big part of their core or stick with what they have and try to sign a free agent to a vet minimum to fill the roster.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
The Lakers problem is chemistry, youth, speed, and the inability to guard the other teams point. Getting Dwight Howard will not address any of those issues except maybe chemistry. They need a point. They need to go after Chris Paul or a young up and coming point guard. Getting Howard especially for Gasol/Odom or Bynum/Odom is not the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball