Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 PM

14 posts, read 15,156 times

Advertisements

Rivalries are always fun, but some of them can get down right ugly, especially in college hoops. What do you guys think are the best rivalries in college basketball? Here's a few I came up with.

1. Duke/North Carolina
They both have top 25 teams on a regular basis. The fans are crazy. What makes it even better is the in-state proximity of the two teams. The Cameron Crazies are said to be the roudiest students in college sports, but Tar Heels know how to have a good time.

2. Kansas/Kansas State
After a long drought, the rivalry is finally back. Hatred is brewing even deeper between the University of Kansas Jayhawks and the Kansas State University Wildcats. Although KU is usually a top ranked team quite a bit ahead of their rivals, K-State has pulled off impressing and surprising upsets in the past few years. Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, or EMAW?

3. Indiana/Purdue
Hailing from arguably one of the best states for basketball traditions, these guys are no joke. Although they have begun to slide, Hoosier fans still love their team. Purdue is no laughing matter, either. Regardless of whether they're a Hoosier or Boilermaker, basketball fans in Indiana are the real deal.

I probably made some people mad by not posting certain rivalries, so please post your list of what you think are the most hate filled rivalries in the world of college hoops. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,458,431 times
Kansas State... really?

UNC/Duke
Kentucky/Louisville
Michigan/Michigan St

Old 06-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Kansas State... really?

UNC/Duke
Kentucky/Louisville
Michigan/Michigan St
Yeah, Kansas State, really. You really have no clue what this rivalry is like, do you? It's just as heated as any, it just doesn't recieve much media attention because people don't appreciate K-State. Come to Kansas and see a Sunflower Showdown, and you'll see why I put it on this list.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:37 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,458,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_raging_brown View Post
Yeah, Kansas State, really. You really have no clue what this rivalry is like, do you? It's just as heated as any, it just doesn't recieve much media attention because people don't appreciate K-State. Come to Kansas and see a Sunflower Showdown, and you'll see why I put it on this list.
When I lived out in Kansas City, I actually heard KU was more of a rival with Mizzou.

Onto "Sunflower Showdown"... A quick wiki lookup to find that KU beat Kansas St 50-6 since 1988, when Roy Williams became head coach, to now. To me, that doesn't sound like an intense rivalry since it seems one team is more dominant than the other each year.

I am a fan/alum of FSU but I would never call our rivalry with UF one of the best basketball rivalries. Just saying.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,972,805 times
I agree with 1 and 3, but ncopus makes some good points. KU Louisville is huge. MSU has hoops as the only sport they dominate UM. IU/PU is not an 'ugly' rivalry but VERY intense. Their rival with Illinois may be worse.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:03 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,558,247 times
In Cincinnati, there's a relatively intense UC-Xavier divide.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
When I lived out in Kansas City, I actually heard KU was more of a rival with Mizzou.

Onto "Sunflower Showdown"... A quick wiki lookup to find that KU beat Kansas St 50-6 since 1988, when Roy Williams became head coach, to now. To me, that doesn't sound like an intense rivalry since it seems one team is more dominant than the other each year.

I am a fan/alum of FSU but I would never call our rivalry with UF one of the best basketball rivalries. Just saying.
Kansas does in fact have a big rivalry with Mizzou, but I wouldn't say it's bigger than the K-State rivalry. Anyway, KU doesn't ALWAYS dominate K-State. K-State has finally come back from what looked like a doomed program. They were ranked #3 preseason this year, just behind KU at #2. While the Wildcats didn't live up to this ranking, they did have a good season. The rivalry may not seem that great, but it's gaining momentum as K-State becomes a good basketball school. Anyway, the rivalry will heat up as KU is losing three of their best players to the NBA, along with several seniors leaving. K-State, on the other hand, still has Rodney McGruder, Jamar Samuels, and Will Spradling. Although Jacob Pullen and Curtis Kelly, the leading scorers, are leaving, I'm sure Rodney will take the team under his wing as a leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball