Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:46 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
What's your thoughts on Barkley-Malone? That was like the 90's version of the Garnett-Duncan argument.
That's a tough one, too. Barkley had more range than Malone, but Malone had the bigger, stronger body. I would give the nod to Malone beacuse he played so well for so long. His whole career was his prime. Barkley, on the other hand, was a shell of his former self after he left the Suns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's a tough one, too. Barkley had more range than Malone, but Malone had the bigger, stronger body. I would give the nod to Malone beacuse he played so well for so long. His whole career was his prime. Barkley, on the other hand, was a shell of his former self after he left the Suns.
I think Barkley's prime, 88-93, he impacted the game moreso, was more talented too. Malone had the longevity, which is why many rank him higher.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:57 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Flame away...
1. Magic
2. Jordan
3. Wilt
4. Lebron
5. Russell
6. Kareem
7. Shaq
8. Kobe
9. Bird
10. Hakeem
Lebron should not be on this list, imo. At least not on the list at the expense of Julius Erving. Dr. J had real skills. Lebron understands the game and is a superb passer, but I don't think he's much of a "skilled" player.

Take these video clips for example. Lebron has "Dunk in the Post" as one of his signature moves. Step 1 is "Call for the Rock." Step 2 is "Test Your Defender." Step 3 is "Jab Step." And Step 4 is "Finish Strong at the Hole." Where's the skill in that? Even worse is his video on "Drawing the Double Team." Of course you're going to draw a double team if you're already good! That's like Scarlett Johansson making an instructional video called "5 Ways to Land a Millionaire Hunk Boyfriend."

YouTube - ‪LeBron James - Signature Moves: Dunk in the Post‬‏

Kobe's videos are quite good. You can actually take his advice and apply it to your own game.

YouTube - ‪Signature Moves- Kobe Bryant- Pump Fake Pivot‬‏

Old 05-31-2011, 04:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

YouTube - ‪Julius Erving Highlights‬‏

Well not sure I put him in the top ten but a great series of highlights here - at times he really did seem to defy gravity

I will particulary always remeber the baseline reverses

Old 05-31-2011, 04:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
If you saw my post, it was based on who are the top ten I've seen play. So the list will be from players in the past 20 years. I thought I made that clear in my first post.
yes but if you saw magic than you must have seen Malone and Kareem play, both were better than KG btw.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:00 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
yes but if you saw magic than you must have seen Malone and Kareem play, both were better than KG btw.
Perhaps you missed my earlier comments on Malone? Anyways, I saw Kareem play in his retirement season....at 42. I'm well aware of his accomplishments and impact on the league but no, 42 year old Kareem isn't among the ten best players I've seen. Hell, you quoted my post which says I'm more or less judging guys in the last 20 years, Kareem wasn't even IN the league 20 years ago( 1991).

Old 05-31-2011, 07:04 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,258 times
Looking at career stats in a large number of playoff games a case can be made for West, Karl Malone,Duncan and Olajuwon all being in the top 10. Jabbar, O'neil, Jordan, Bryant, Russel, Bird and Chamberlain seem like the shoe in's. I'll expand my list to 13 and include Johnson and Erving as the 'scrubs' since Magic never won a title without Kareem and Dr J's best days were really back in the old ABA when he was the ultimate highlight real that no one has come close to duplicating IMHO..

NBA.com:

Also worthy of mention based on career stats a decent list of all time great from Robertson, Baylor, Hayes, Moses Malone, Wilkins, Havlicek and Pettit round out my all time top 20. This is tough as no Knick player made it and others like Iverson and Gervin did have the numbers. Oh well maybe Dirk, Lebron and Dwade make it down the road<g>

NBA.com

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 05-31-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 07:41 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Looking at career stats in a large number of playoff games a case can be made for West, Karl Malone,Duncan and Olajuwon all being in the top 10. Jabbar, O'neil, Jordan, Bryant, Russel, Bird and Chamberlain seem like the shoe in's. I'll expand my list to 13 and include Johnson and Erving as the 'scrubs' since Magic never won a title without Kareem and Dr J's best days were really back in the old ABA when he was the ultimate highlight real that no one has come close to duplicating IMHO..

NBA.com:

Also worthy of mention based on career stats a decent list of all time great from Robertson, Baylor, Hayes, Moses Malone, Wilkins, Havlicek and Pettit round out my all time top 20. This is tough as no Knick player made it and others like Iverson and Gervin did have the numbers. Oh well maybe Dirk, Lebron and Dwade make it down the road<g>

NBA.com
Nice post - i disagree on Magic - think he really was a special player and really see no way Wade or Dirk really ever get into the top 10 discussion.

Agree on Moses; his work with the Rockets and Sixers was pretty special and also as a Sixers fan I still can't see AI (the real not Igudola) beingf the top 10 and think a tugh seel on the top 20 but may be just outside of that range.

Seeing AI still always makes me think of this

YouTube - &#x202a;Iverson Practice!&#x202c;&rlm;

When really I should remember this more

YouTube - &#x202a;Allen Iverson Philadelphia 76ers Highlight Mix(1997 to 2004)&#x202c;&rlm;

Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Hakeem is in the top 10 for sure. To be among the greats of the greatest, he was great on both sides of the ball. Shaq was an offensive monster, but he was not even close defensively to Olajuwon. For me, Olajuwon ranks above Shaq. If you look at the greatest of the greats, players who excelled on both sides of ball are few. Kareem, Jordan, Wilt, and Hakeem are the only ones i know of that are retired. Duncan, KG, Kobe, and Lebron will be on that list when they retire.There might be some others that i didn't watch play much or might have left off on top of my head, but that is a pretty short list. Don't get me wrong, there are other great players, but i'm talking about the best of the best.

Last edited by JL; 05-31-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 09:30 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's like Scarlett Johansson making an instructional video called "5 Ways to Land a Millionaire Hunk Boyfriend."

Great analogy... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball